Author Topic: Weather whether you like it or not  (Read 1492 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Weather whether you like it or not
« on: December 31, 2018, 08:58:25 AM »
In another thread Crash said it was going to be 82 F in his neck of the woods.  We are 8 F with wind and 8" of snow.  In some places the snow is 3' deep and ten feet away there is bare  ground.  My driveway, all quarter mile of it seems to be in the 3' zone.  Figures.

Orbean is in the same boat as I am.  How the rest of you doing?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Weather whether you like it or not
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 09:20:13 AM »
I'm south of Crash.  HUMID! Creeping into the 80's.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 09:26:39 AM »
68 today, 70 tomorrow, then cooling off to high 50s low 60s so temps not bad at all, but we've had enough rain in the last month or so (and more coming) to float a friggin' battleship.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Icepick15

• Whetstone
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 11:54:09 AM »
South Mississippi.  Solid overcast.  68* F.  Wind SSE @15mph.  98% humidity.  Rain on and off.  Light drizzle currently.
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 12:01:22 PM »
I'm South of MadMax. Currently partly cloudy at 82 degrees with 53% humidity.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »
18* F. here right at the moment, but we also have light snow and accompanying 40 mph winds. :fire2:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 07:11:13 PM »
At negative 15*F now. Headed for -20*F tommorrow night. But the blizzard warning was lifted, so that's good.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »
We are going to see a minus 5 tonight but the wind has let up and there is very little chance of more snow.  We got a foot of new snow on the flats and drifts over 3 feet here and there.  I won't bother to try to start the BobCat skid steer in the morning. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 07:47:36 PM »
Topped out at 71 today here in Knoxvegas. Highs in the 50's the rest of the week. Oh and rain, plenty of rain....
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 07:53:11 PM »
In another thread Crash said it was going to be 82 F in his neck of the woods.  We are 8 F with wind and 8" of snow.  In some places the snow is 3' deep and ten feet away there is bare  ground.  My driveway, all quarter mile of it seems to be in the 3' zone.  Figures.

Orbean is in the same boat as I am.  How the rest of you doing?

Actually is has been a no-snow. There has been warnings from the city, the homeless shelters are on it. But there has not been any snow yet as of now. There are very few cars on the road, which is odd considering tonight is the party night of the year. People are taking it seriously here in town and up north. I am very happy with everyone in the state getting hammered but us. I got sixty plus feet of trenching to do on Wednesday. I can deal with the cold, with the wind, and can handle being wet, but cold, windy and wet just sucks
Nice matters

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 05:55:22 AM »
Still no snow, however really high winds with crazy gusts all night. Take it for what is worth, but I believe this storm is going to be intense for whom ever it hits following us. It seems to me that these violent wind events here make for nasty storms as the progress north and east. The nice thing about where I live is Abq usually escapes the heavy precip storms in the winter and snow does not stay. I think you guys in the path of this one need to watch it closely. I don't know how you guys in the midwest and east handle all that snow and cold, i am ing and moaning when it is in the teens one or twice a winter season.
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 08:57:53 AM »
When I went out to check water tanks at 6:00 AM it was a minus 17 F but dead calm and clear.  The weather of TV said it would get down to a minus 7 so they missed how cold that Arctic air mass moving down really was.  No overnight snowfall.  Both heated tanks were still open and the cattle were down in the open sheds in a lower corral.  It is supposed to get up to a plus 18 today and then we get five days of high temps around 40 in the daytime.   The skid loader is plugged in but I doubt it will start until we get up around a plus 20.   :P

Snowfall total in this storm was 13.5 inches.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 02:24:29 PM »
Well we finally are getting snow, the roads are covered and with the temps as low as they will be tonight cant see the road being clear in the morning. I have no issues driving in it but being alb not many people know how to drive in it. So it looks like a snow day at the Ortiz house tomorrow. Am going to send the kids skiing so I have the house to myself.
Nice matters

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 02:26:08 PM »
Well we finally are getting snow, the roads are covered and with the temps as low as they will be tonight cant see the road being clear in the morning. I have no issues driving in it but being alb not many people know how to drive in it. So it looks like a snow day at the Ortiz house tomorrow. Am going to send the kids skiing so I have the house to myself.

Wil you adopt me and send me skiing?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 05:02:46 PM »

Wil you adopt me and send me skiing?

Of course you and max are always welcome, but you will have to do the dishes and vacuum
Nice matters

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 08:02:24 PM »
Yup!...minus 4 here this morning...lotsa snow...lotsa wind :tent:...only four months to go ??? :fire2:
Just got back from AZ 60 - 70 ish...now i need to re adapt :P...Happy 2019 you swabbies :duel: :cheers:...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 08:15:18 PM »
Happy New Year Woods.  Stay warm.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 09:01:15 PM »
After my Grandmas funeral I'm going to drive up into thatgood snow and ski into some woods.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 11:16:59 PM »
I took Heather out for supper in Vermillion, SD this evening for our 31st anniversary.  Nice time, but pretty danged cold.  Single digits below zero tonight, but supposed to warm up to 30* tomorrow. :banana:    They're even talking mid-40s by the end of the week and no snow in the forecast. 8)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 06:24:07 AM »
Happy 31st  :cheers:...Heather must be one hell of a gal to put up with you for 31 years >:D...LOL... :rofl: :rofl: :banana:
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 11:03:48 AM »
I'll second that Woods.   ???

Happy Anniversary Wolfy...... and to Heather.   
(Mark Twain)

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 08:41:32 AM »
Wet here, and cold 37*
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 02:50:27 PM »
Happy anniversary, wolfy!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 03:40:03 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen......yeah, she's a peach!

MUCH NICER day today than it was on our anniversary....SUNS HINE & 44* :banana: 8)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 02:15:35 AM »
hot and humid.  I'm sleeping at night with the windows open to cool the house off.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 06:53:14 PM »
Daytime highs in the mid 60's on Tuesday ... we didn't make it out of the 30's today.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:15 PM »
Tuesday morning we were 18 above and it got to about 38 in the early afternoon.  Windy though and it was a mean wind all day.  Kept me in the house.  Today it was in the low 50's and I got a lot of grading done on the driveway, at least the parts that weren't still frozen.  Supposed to stay up in the mid 40's for a few days.  The wind quit today but it'll be back, always does this time of year.  :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 10:25:42 PM »
Last week it was in the mid to upper 40s, but has dropped into the 30s this week.....not too bad. ;D.  They are talking snow to our south, but only a dusting, if anything, here. :thumbsup:    I heard areas around St. Louis and central Missouri could get up to 15? tomorrow......a good place for it as far as I'm concerned. :-\

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 03:46:13 AM »
We were in shirt sleeves yesterday at the rifle range. 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2019, 06:19:54 AM »
earth.nullschool.ne t shows a storm out in the pacific, headed ashore. Wind at 66 mph and waves at 49' with a 17 second period. These are not peak numbers, they are averages. Holy crap. I suspect that's going to bulldoze its way into the Midwest before it peters out. I check this storm once or twice a day and it's not getting any friendlier. Hope you guys on the West coast are ready to hunker down for a nasty one. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 10:43:14 AM »
Hope that one peters out in California and doesn't get up where I live.  49' waves would be terrible. 

We are cold and headed to colder.  A humid 26 this morning at 6:00 AM but it felt a lot colder to me.  5 hours later it is only 28F.  We should miss the big snow in the forecast (I hope) and just have a trace here.  They are talking about  a high of 18 with snow on Friday.  Winter is a long time going this year.  Reservoir is froze tight, over a foot of ice in the middle.  For some reason the raccoons are out and about.  My wife got two this last weekend.  No skunks caught and I hope it stays that way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 11:43:45 AM »
They've downgraded the predicted snowfall for our area....from 6" to 4-5," so maybe it will go even lower before it actually gets here.  Hope so.

MUCH colder temps accompany this changeover, however.  We have been experiencing much above normal temps for the first half of January, but more 'normal' winter weather is now on the horizon.  Saturday......snow all day with single-digit highs afterward.  >:(

Road trip! ;D

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 03:30:35 PM »
Stan, while your basking in 31F and 18F highs on Thursday and Friday, respectively, we'll be at -17F and -18F. Our high is projected to be a -6F. If we get those winds (and those 49 foot waves :doh:) it's going to be mean.
Outside critters going to need some protection this weekend. Just North of us in Manitoba, they're projected to drop to a -30F over the weekend. This is weather like we had back in the 60's and 70's. Not as much fun as it was when I was in my teens and 20's.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 09:10:02 PM »
Pete that is the price you pay for living in Minnesota.  I have a friend who lives there from April to about October.  Then he comes out to South Dakota.   :P  He thinks it's great.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2019, 06:06:18 PM »
We did not get much snow out of this one, it all went further east from what I see on the weather report.  We will get into low double digits tonight with a 20% chance of snow and then back to the high thirties and low forties for a few days.   8)
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2019, 07:53:32 PM »
We live up in the Rocky Mountain Trench.  Last year on this date we had 31" of snow on the ground.
Today we hit +37 and all but 2" of our winter's snowfall has melted.  We've had a total of 4". It's the 18th of January in NW Montana, and we can see the grass in our yard. It's not even supposed to go below freezing tonight. We have NOT had ONE night in the single digits yet. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid-40s. I'm still watering my greenhouse.
This is nutz!
Am I complaining? He!!, no!!!
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!