Author Topic: A pretty good site for reading classic woodlore and camping books.  (Read 206 times)

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
I ran across a site that had a variety of outdoor classics on camping and woodcraft, fishing, and hunting.  It is called Bookdome.com.  Here is a link to the site that goes to the outdoor section.  The other sections are to the left in a column.  https://bookdome.com/outdoors/index.html  (sorry, left this out of the initial post)

Seton and Kephart are there and a few others.  Interesting (to me anyway) format for finding information from the books.  For instance should you want to read Kephart you can click that and then go through the available subjects from his book "Camping and Woodcraft". 

I stumbled on this site looking for more information on a formula for waterproofing leather using cod liver oil and pine tar.  If you bring up Kephart's book it is in Clothing section 6 and the third item of the four offered up.  I happen to have a can of pine tar and now I can search for some cod liver oil.  Give it a try on an old knife sheath or a pair of boots.  I did read elsewhere that it will turn the leather quite dark.  The formula is said to be from a Norwegian method of treating boots and leather.  If any of you have used this stuff I would like to know how you liked it.  Just something different to do over the winter. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:01:32 AM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: A pretty good site for reading classic woodlore and camping books.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:07:40 PM »
I never heard of that site before, but I'm going to explore it tomorrow, for sure. :thumbsup:     That leather treatment reminds me of what my grand-dad used on his work shoes.  As I recall it came in a green slip-top can and the brand name was Nor-V-Gen.....it must have had cod liver oil in it because there was a picture of a cod on the can.  Dark brown in color and as sticky as pitch......it had one of those smells that you never forget!  ;)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 07:13:34 AM »
I never heard of that site before, but I'm going to explore it tomorrow, for sure. :thumbsup:     That leather treatment reminds me of what my grand-dad used on his work shoes.  As I recall it came in a green slip-top can and the brand name was Nor-V-Gen.....it must have had cod liver oil in it because there was a picture of a cod on the can.  Dark brown in color and as sticky as pitch......it had one of those smells that you never forget!  ;)

Yup, and if you have cats you'll be constantly kicking them out from around your boots when trying to walk.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:00:09 AM »
 :lol:  Well, I got cats.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 08:16:45 AM »
:lol:  Well, I got cats.

I got one cat, Henry, he's a tuxedo cat, all black except for his chest and belly, and his paws, he weighs in at 23 pounds and from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail he measures close to 40" long and stands 16" high to his back.
 He was feral as a kitten and adopted us when he was half grown,  he used to get into fights with squirrels and other woodland animals and come home needing to be patched up or taken to the vet, it got too expensive trying to keep him alive so we made him a house bound cat.
 Yesterday I went to visit with my eldest boy who just came home from a hospital stay, he's got a couple of high strung English bird dogs, one kept laying across my lap while the other sat next to me on the couch and leaned all his weight against me, I was there for a couple of hours, when I got home Henry was all around me trying to figure out the strange smell of the dogs on my clothes, if he could talk I think he have looked up at me and said "And WTF is this" ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 09:03:02 AM »
I don't care much for cats as pets. I do have a lot of respect for them though. Great survivalists. Gotta say I learned a few tricks from them on the farm. Like how to find a warm cozy place to sleep!!
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »
I like cats xj, simply because they pay no attention to you at all unless they want something.  Keeps me from ever thinking I am important.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 03:15:57 AM »
Will check it out, got a new tablet so will download some stuff. I have been up since 2am. A car with at least one jackass with a semi auto is driving around the area shooting at God knows what. The police, you can here their engines racing around. I hope when they catch them they will beat the stupid out of them.

Man this tread has gone from a cool website to cats and now to this.
Nice matters