Author Topic: Easy deli style pickles  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Easy deli style pickles
« on: January 10, 2019, 08:44:00 PM »
 I love pickles, I usually buy Clauson's dills or Half Sours, but you don't get many spears in a jar for four bucks,  I usually buy a jar a week, I do my grocery shopping on Saturday mornings and mostly run out by Thursday, it's not so much the money, well that too, but it's running out that frosts me, ya, I know, buy two jars, right.
 I thought about that but there's something not right about spending ten bucks a week on pickles, that comes to about $43.50 a month, $520.00 a year, OK, enough of that.
 For anyone interested I have a great recipe for easy home made deli style pickles, it takes only a few minutes to prepare, two days in the fridge and they are ready to eat, by the third day they taste just like Clauson's best, they are at their best if consumed within two weeks, the best part (well after the great taste) is there's no canning process needed, all you need is a couple of clean pint or one quart glass jar with a screw on lid, I make mine in a one quart mason jar and usually end up with twice as many pickle spears as I do in a Clauson's jar.

Ingredients (makes one quart jar or two pint jars of pickles)

1-1/2 cups of cold water (preferably filtered).
 3- Tbsp. of white Vinegar.
 1-1/2 Tbsp. of Kosher salt. (do not use Iodized salt)
 2- tsp. of black pepper corns.
 6- sprigs of fresh dill.
 1- bay leaf.
 3 Large or 5 sm. cloves of Garlic. (cut in half lengthways)

1- Good sized English Cucumber. (sliced or cut into spears)

* To a clean jar add all the ingredients and the cucumber pieces.
    Screw the lid on and give the jar a good shake to blend all the ingredients and get the flavors mixing.
    Put the jar in the fridge for two days before eating. ( I know, it's a long time, but it's worth the wait)
    They will be even better after day three.

Enjoy

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Easy deli style pickles
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:19:11 PM »
I would assume one could slice the cucumber in discs instead of spears.  Two days I can wait.  We will see how they come out. 

By the time I buy the cucumbers, the mason jars, the spices, and the kosher salt how much do you have in them as opposed to the $520 dollars a year you would spend on store boughts?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:38:54 PM »
Moe, you sound like you must be a dyed-in-the-wool pickle junkie! :lol:   You should seek counseling to help you get that cucumber-monkey off your back!  :spider:   The closest I?ve come is buying a $3.75 jar of jumbo green olives stuffed with a big clove of garlic instead of the usual pimento....I?m on my 4th jar since New Year's Day! :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:40:58 PM »
I would assume one could slice the cucumber in discs instead of spears.  Two days I can wait.  We will see how they come out. 

By the time I buy the cucumbers, the mason jars, the spices, and the kosher salt how much do you have in them as opposed to the $520 dollars a year you would spend on store boughts?

Stan, yes you can slice the cucumbers into chips or rounds and they're just as good,  I prefer spears when I'm eating dills and chips when I'm using them to make sandwiches. (usually bread & Butter pickles)

LOL,  Mason Jars are cheap,  last time I looked they were about $10.00 a dozen in the quart size at Ace Hardware, they last forever if you don't break them, and the lids are cheap as well, I just bought a four pound box of Morton's Kosher salt for $2.39,  pepper corns vary depending on the size of the container,  I bought a two pound size last month for six bucks at Job Lot, Bay leaves in a six ounce bottle are $0.99, as is a bunch of Dill, vinegar $2.29 a half gallon, Garlic is also $0.99 a head, English Cucumbers also $0.99 each.
 I haven't broken down the cost to the penny,  but I'm thinking I'd be pretty close to under $2.00 a quart, a quart of my pickles equals two jars of Clauson's pickles which adds up to $8.66 a month or $104.00 a year, the same amount if I purchased Clauson's would be $43.50 per month, $520.00 a year.

But for me it's not just the cost savings, it's that I'm controling what goes into my food, it's takes so little time to make a batch that I always have a jar in the fridge, and I think the taste of anything you've made, foraged, or harvested for yourself is always better than store bought.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 12:11:39 AM »
Moe, you sound like you must be a dyed-in-the-wool pickle junkie! :lol:   You should seek counseling to help you get that cucumber-monkey off your back!  :spider:   The closest I?ve come is buying a $3.75 jar of jumbo green olives stuffed with a big clove of garlic instead of the usual pimento....I?m on my 4th jar since New Year's Day! :drool:

No doubt about it, In my fridge at the moment I have a jumbo (one quart) jar of Spanish olives and a spare in my pantry, there's two quarts of my home made deli pickles, a large jar of bread & butter pickles, a jar of pickled pepperoncini, a jar of pickled jalapeno peppers, and just ran out of Italian pickled hot peppers stuffed with cheese and spicy ham.
 I'm an addict for sure and true,  part of it is the vinegar and salt,  my salads have to have vinegar either white, wine, or Balsamic and oil, and I can't eat most foods without salt, I even put a pinch in my coffee pot when I brew coffee.
 So far it hasn't affected my health, so I'm not making a changes,  if it weren't so late I'd have a bowl of Lay's Wavy potato chips, their pretty salty. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 10:05:37 AM »
I have a hundred or so mason jars that I use for honey but all that other stuff I don't buy.  Like dill, kosher salt, etc.  But we will give it a try as it sounds like something I can do in between reading stuff on the computer.

Your intake of pickles is enormous compared to anybody I know.  I wonder if there is a PA* chapter where you live.  I have read that they can help you with that addiction sometimes. 

*Pickleholics Anonymous.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 03:36:49 PM »
<iframe width="606" height="340" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 05:43:47 PM »
I have a hundred or so mason jars that I use for honey but all that other stuff I don't buy.  Like dill, kosher salt, etc.  But we will give it a try as it sounds like something I can do in between reading stuff on the computer.

Your intake of pickles is enormous compared to anybody I know.  I wonder if there is a PA* chapter where you live.  I have read that they can help you with that addiction sometimes. 

*Pickleholics Anonymous.

Well, I have a sandwich of some kind for lunch nearly every day,  what good is a ham & cheese or turkey club sandwich without a couple of pickle spears,  grilled cheese, got to have a pickle and some potato chips,  1/4 of the top shelf of my fridge (commercial size) is devoted to pickles, olives, and pickled peppers, it's tough to go to the fridge for something to drink or snack on and not grab a pickle on the way,  I don't think that's abnormal,  do you ?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 06:17:10 PM »
Yes. :coffee:

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 07:24:11 PM »
I read the posts from the latest to the oldest. So when I came across part of the post from Moe that said " I'm an addict for sure and true,  part of it is the vinegar and salt,  my salads have to have vinegar either white, wine, or Balsamic and oil" .

I thought "Well, Moe might like Pickled Pork Hocks or Pickled Pigs feet."

But then I saw the earlier post which said in part  "I'm controlling what goes into my food,"

I knew that thought was like smoke in the wind. I only eat a jar or maybe two a year, but even at that rate, I'll probably leave a well preserved, pickled and salted corpse when I go. Archeologists 3000 years from now will study the embalming methods of our day and when they find me, they'll say

"Well here's an odd one, must have been a strange cult ritual he took part in".  :D

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 07:31:40 PM »
I thought ABNormal was a blood type. 

Given your description of pickle eating at your house I would have to agree with wolfy and say YES.  I eat pickles a lot too but not in the quantities you ingest.  I like them on the side with grilled cheese, in hamburgers, and in most any meal I can think of but only a couple of slices, three at the most.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 07:36:03 PM »

Yah But, you're not from around here,  you guys eat smelly aged pickled fish in your part of the country which no self respecting New Englander would even go near.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 07:45:49 PM »
I read the posts from the latest to the oldest. So when I came across part of the post from Moe that said " I'm an addict for sure and true,  part of it is the vinegar and salt,  my salads have to have vinegar either white, wine, or Balsamic and oil" .

I thought "Well, Moe might like Pickled Pork Hocks or Pickled Pigs feet."

But then I saw the earlier post which said in part  "I'm controlling what goes into my food,"

I knew that thought was like smoke in the wind. I only eat a jar or maybe two a year, but even at that rate, I'll probably leave a well preserved, pickled and salted corpse when I go. Archeologists 3000 years from now will study the embalming methods of our day and when they find me, they'll say

"Well here's an odd one, must have been a strange cult ritual he took part in".  :D

LOL, hey Pete, I never did care for pickled hocks or pigs feet, but I did love pickled lambs tongue,  the last company to market them if I remember right was Rodgers Foods,  many a lunch consisted of a cold mug of draft beer, a pickled lambs tongue with ketchup,  two pickled eggs, and a handful of saltine crackers,  good stuff.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 07:57:55 PM »
I thought ABNormal was a blood type. 

Given your description of pickle eating at your house I would have to agree with wolfy and say YES.  I eat pickles a lot too but not in the quantities you ingest.  I like them on the side with grilled cheese, in hamburgers, and in most any meal I can think of but only a couple of slices, three at the most.

Sounds like you have some catching up to do Stan,  keep checking in, I'm working on a couple of new recipes for quick Bread & Butter pickles and another for pickled mixed vegetables using red, green, and yellow bell peppers, carrots, onion, cucumbers, green beans, and cauliflower.
 As soon as I have them proofed I'll post them,  what else is there to do on cold winter days.   

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »
What else. Ski, trap, congigate....in the plural form
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 08:23:30 PM »

Yah But, you're not from around here,  you guys eat smelly aged pickled fish in your part of the country which no self respecting New Englander would even go near.

My pickled herring comes from the frigid waters of the North Atlantic and is shipped here from Canada.  New Englanders don't eat pickled herring? :rolleyes:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
No catching up for me Moe.  I eat lots of salsa, hot sauce, tortillas, rice and beans with my meals.  Pickles ain't going any higher on the list.  Salsa could though.  :-*
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 06:35:02 AM »

My pickled herring comes from the frigid waters of the North Atlantic and is shipped here from Canada.  New Englanders don't eat pickled herring? :rolleyes:

Hell no, that's why we export it.

But Kippered Herring is ok.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 07:00:35 AM »
What else. Ski, trap, congigate....in the plural form

I never could see the appeal of pushing off the side of a mountain on a pair of sticks with no brakes, lots of folks been killed and seriously injured doing that kind of schitt.

Trapping is not my kind of thing, I don't begrudge others who trap, but laying traps to catch, torture, and kill helpless little animals just for a few buck worth of fur is repulsive to me, harvesting animals for food using humane methods to hunt such as with firearms or archery is fine.
 Or did you mean shooting Trap, now that I can get into, I love Trap shooting, Skeet, and Sporting Clays, but right now it's too damned cold.

As far as congigating goes, you'd have to get a bit deeper into defining what you're thinking about, I can tell you that I'm too old and too wise to cheat on my wife, and I've never been good at playing cards, but if you mean socializing,  I'm getting together with my oldest son in about an hour and meeting up with a few members of our sportsman's club for breakfast and bull schitting, does that count ?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 07:22:48 AM »
No catching up for me Moe.  I eat lots of salsa, hot sauce, tortillas, rice and beans with my meals.  Pickles ain't going any higher on the list.  Salsa could though.  :-*

LOL, to each his own I guess,  I like salsa with tortilla chips (I prefer Scoops), Cholula original is my go to hot sauce, I'm more about the flavor than the heat, I love it on raw little necks and raw oysters, it works well with Chili also,   tortilla wraps I can do without, hard shell tacos are more my style,  and I do like Burritos with beef, beans, and cheese, I hear a lot of folks rave about rice and beans especially red beans and rice, I like beans baked Boston style, and I like rice either stand alone or mixed with veggies like in fried or oriental rice, but mixing beans and rice together in the same bowl doesn't tempt me.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 10:24:27 AM »

You must be living under a rock, Moe. :shrug:    There are 147 places in Boston alone, that sell pickled herring.  That's either a huge number of of exporters concentrated in one area in Massachusetts...... OR some of you are eating more than baked beans and pickled cucumbers. :rofl:

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=pickled+herring&find_loc=Boston%2C+MA

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 05:13:51 PM »
Cholula is one of my favorite hot sauces too.  Along with one named Tapatio they are the two I like best.  Flavor not heat is also my favorite.   
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 07:25:56 AM »

You must be living under a rock, Moe. :shrug:    There are 147 places in Boston alone, that sell pickled herring.  That's either a huge number of of exporters concentrated in one area in Massachusetts...... OR some of you are eating more than baked beans and pickled cucumbers. :rofl:

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=pickled+herring&find_loc=Boston%2C+MA

LOL,  That's one of the many things that I like about you Craig, you get on a point and you're like a dog with a beef bone,  you just can't give it up.
  It's not surprising that there are so many places selling pickled herring, New England at one time was the fishing capital of the country and still commands a huge presents in the industry, and the North Atlantic is the premiere herring waters in this part of the world, but walk into most New England eateries and ask for Pickled Herring, or try to find it on the menu, maybe you'll find a couple round Fall River or New Bedford but that's about it.
  Salted Cod is another staple that New England is well known for that has lost favor in most New England homes, very few groceries or super markets even carry it anymore around my area, you have to go to a fish market to find any,  but as for baked beans, brown bread, and pickles most super markets and small groceries still have whole shelf units packed with that stuff, Walmart even. (grin)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 07:48:05 AM »
Cholula is one of my favorite hot sauces too.  Along with one named Tapatio they are the two I like best.  Flavor not heat is also my favorite.   

Thanks for the tip Stan,  we have a local chain of Little General Stores in my area, it started years ago when super markets made their appearance in our area and started displacing the small Mom & Pop general stores, whoever it was that got it going had the idea that if all the smaller independent owners banded together to create a buying co-op they could compete with the big box super markets.
  Most of the independents bought into the idea and about 90% of the small stores are still in business and doing well, one of them a few miles from my house just did a huge remodel of the inside of the store and has a whole wall devoted to hot sauces and exotic rubs and BBQ spices, all pretty reasonably priced, and a bigger selection all in one place than even the new Stop & Shop or new Walmart Super store that went up a couple of years ago nearby.
  I don't shop at the newly remodeled LI'L General store because it's kind of out of my way usually, I've only been in a couple of times since the remodel, but I'll make it a point to stop in and see if they have Tapatio hot sauce, if they do I'll sure give it a try.   

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 07:49:23 AM »
Long ago and far away, at the local YMCA in the middle of winter,  I was getting ready to take my 2nd to last dive to get certified.  Back then they taught you to buddy breath on one regulator (ex- Navy instructor).  In the locker room gearing up I chowed down one some kinda stinky canned fish.  My fellow students were grossed out.  Nobody would share a regulator with me.  Including the instructor.

...i'm still emotionally scarred from that.

? I need a safe space and some playdo in a safe place now.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 08:00:57 AM »
Long ago and far away, at the local YMCA in the middle of winter,  I was getting ready to take my 2nd to last dive to get certified.  Back then they taught you to buddy breath on one regulator (ex- Navy instructor).  In the locker room gearing up I chowed down one some kinda stinky canned fish.  My fellow students were grossed out.  Nobody would share a regulator with me.  Including the instructor.

...i'm still emotionally scarred from that.

? I need a safe space and some playdo in a safe place now.

Sorry to hear about that Tony, there must be a liberal college near you, I hear they all have Safe rooms, Cry rooms, specialty Dark Closets for students to hide in when something frightens them, and dedicated councilors for the real tough cases, perhaps they could offer some solace.  (grinning)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2019, 10:04:51 AM »
On hot sauces:

We have several in our stable, including Tabasco, Tapatio, Cholula and a couple of other kinds that people have given us, but didn't ring our bell. :shrug:    The one that we use the most of, however, is Frank's Red Hot.....the one specifically called for in making up the ORIGINAL Buffalo Chicken Wing sauce recipe from the Anchor Steam Bar in Buffalo, NY.   We substituted another hot sauce ONE time when our Frank's Red Hot bottle ran dry and they just weren't the same. :'(

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »
Frank's is good, but Tobasco is my go to. A few years back I received a bottle of "Dave's insanity hot sauce" as a gift. Pure hot. No other redeeming value. Well, we were having trouble with beavers chewing down our trees. So I sprinkled some of that hot sauce around the lower part of the tree. End of problem. Them little guys moved out and left the area.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2019, 02:25:22 PM »
Sounds like you need a hug.  Go find your dog.
(Mark Twain)