Author Topic: Whats in the Bag Tag  (Read 338 times)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
Whats in the Bag Tag
« on: January 12, 2019, 10:04:07 AM »
A video off my you tube channel from last summer regarding gear related stuff
I was tagged by The Ranger wanting to know what i keep in my rucksack for an overnight campout ect...woods

'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Whats in the Bag Tag
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 06:20:48 PM »
Good video Woods.  That is a useful group of items to carry.  When we go on winter treks or travel over to Wyoming in a vehicle I throw in a pack with some of the same items you carry in your bag.  Food and water, a couple of wool blankets in place of a down bag, insulated boots, a small white gas stove, and the usual first aid and vehicle emergency items.  I also have a few of those "space blankets" and and a pair of insulated coveralls.  We could sleep on the vehicle if needed so we don't take along a shelter of some kind. 

On a winter day trek (which is about all we do these days) I usually take my snowshoes which are hybrids and have wooden frames with synthetic material for flotation.  I also carry poles and sometimes a 5' walking stick.  My pack is a bit smaller than an overnight type so I take a couple of space blankets and a down coat that a person could use to stay warm if they could not get back to their vehicle for some reason. You would need to build a fire if you are caught out overnight so I also carry a striker device and a lighter along with a small metal can of vaseline soaked cotton balls.   
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 08:24:30 AM »
That bush buddy stove is a gasifier isn't ? I'm curious about the time it took to heat that much water. It looked like the wind was blowing most of the heat away with no wind screen.
I hope you found all the stuff you tossed in the weeds there!

I like the keychain group. Mine has a true utility peanut lighter that has a carabiner machined into the screw top. only several lights but the fluid never evaporates. I have a flashlight and a ferro rod as well.
Lighter,https://www.amazon.com/True-Utility-Fire-Stash-Multi-Tool/dp/B00ZRWJVGA/ref=pd_day0_hl_468_6/133-0503404-9518127?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ZRWJVGA&pd_rd_r=edb6a46d-1746-11e9-9ccc-17e2d0adc68e&pd_rd_w=0aLCE&pd_rd_wg=i3pEJ&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=VKPWKKWAVXX1TSV1D2V6&psc=1&refRID=VKPWKKWAVXX1TSV1D2V6

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:22:21 AM »
On a whim, I bought Heather & I each, one of those 'peanut' lighters to have on our key chains.  They came from eBay on a slow boat from China, but they do work quite well.  I charged them with a full load of lighter fluid when I first unwrapped them 4 years ago and they still light right up on the first or second strike of the flint wheel.  I've never replaced the o-rings, but it'd probably be a good idea. :coffee:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 02:43:15 PM »
Thanks Stan!...sounds like you have great setups in both your Day pack and vehicle :thumbsup:...in my daypack/buttpack i keep one of those emergency bivy things...not very comfortable, but it may just get me through a night without getting dead...but depending on the temps, i'll carry a lightweight down blanket in a backpack...you just never know ???...atb...woods
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:01:40 PM by woodsrunner »

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 03:00:11 PM »
xj35....yeah the stove is a gasifier thingy...not sure how long it took to boil the water, but the stove is very efficient so it did not take more than five or six minutes even without a windscreen :)
I think i managed to find all my stuff...LOL...thank s for watching!...woods

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 05:59:10 PM »
 Good video as usual Dave,  I carry most of the same stuff as you do in my day pack except a sleep system, I do carry a large good quality survival blanket and either a quality Poncho or 5'x7' Nylon tarp, my FAK is a bit more comprehensive, my cook kit is basically the same also, 1.1 Lt. Mors Bush Pot w/ bail, it holds a Bush Buddy/Solo stove, in the stove is a small Spirit burner (Trangia), two 2-oz. bottles of denatured alcohol, and a pot chain for hanging the pot.
 I highly recommend the spirit burner to use in the bush buddy stove for when you don't have the time to collect wood or when there's a fire ban, I also like the Solo/Bush buddy stove because of the bottom design that doesn't get hot enough to ignite what ever the stove is setting on.
 Instead of a sleeping pad tied to the bottom of my day pack I have a 18"x 30" canvas wood carrier w/handles, it comes in handy for collecting wood, but also doubles as a sitting/kneeling pad, and tied to a tripod makes a comfortable camp chair, it's also handy to use to keep your stuff off the ground and organized when taking stuff out of your pack, can be used as a place mat for food prep or a clean place for your plate. bowl, and cup while eating, a great piece of kit.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 06:20:13 PM »
That bush buddy stove is a gasifier isn't ? I'm curious about the time it took to heat that much water. It looked like the wind was blowing most of the heat away with no wind screen.
I hope you found all the stuff you tossed in the weeds there!

I like the keychain group. Mine has a true utility peanut lighter that has a carabiner machined into the screw top. only several lights but the fluid never evaporates. I have a flashlight and a ferro rod as well.
Lighter,https://www.amazon.com/True-Utility-Fire-Stash-Multi-Tool/dp/B00ZRWJVGA/ref=pd_day0_hl_468_6/133-0503404-9518127?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ZRWJVGA&pd_rd_r=edb6a46d-1746-11e9-9ccc-17e2d0adc68e&pd_rd_w=0aLCE&pd_rd_wg=i3pEJ&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=VKPWKKWAVXX1TSV1D2V6&psc=1&refRID=VKPWKKWAVXX1TSV1D2V6

I've found that whether I'm using wood (thumb sized pieces standing on edge) or my (Trangia) Solo Spirit Burner I can get my Mors pot full (about 4-cups) of water boiling in anywhere from five to seven minutes depending on the water temp, the air temp and wind.
 If you're thinking of buying one don't buy one of the Chinese clones,  they work ok,  but most won't work well with small pots or REI type cups, and they don't have a sealed bottom which will burn or set fire to what ever you set it on that can burn, so you can't use them in a fire ban area,  plus you can't use the clones with conventional spirit burners  Solo Stoves and original Bush Buddy stoves will work well with any sized pot, skillet, or cup,  and won't start fires from under the stove.
 They are a bit more expensive than their clones but are well worth the investment.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 07:53:38 AM »
Thanks Moe...i never used a Trangia stove or any alcohol stove...always figured to give that Trangia a go some day and its a bonus that it will all fit into the Bush buddy and Mors 1.1 liter :thumbsup:
Great idea carrying a canvas wood hauler...with its many functions it's certainly worth having along! :)
I've been using my bush pot and bush buddy for years now and agree wholeheartedly that they are both well made and well thought out bits o kit....woods