Author Topic: MEGAKOTA?  (Read 673 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: MEGAKOTA?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 05:06:50 PM »
In 1889 they split Dakota Territory in to two States.  This started because they moved the capital of Dakota Territory from Yankton to Bismark.  Now they want to merge them?.  Who "They" are, of course, is unknown to me. 

There would have to be one State Capital for the new Mega state and it could be halfway between the two existing capitals so it would be in what used to be South Dakota.

They are both Republican states so we would loose two republican senators.  Not good.  North Dakota has lots of money from the oil but they have lots of man camps which are probably a pain in the butt for locals, but they are a long ways away from where I live.  A much better idea would be to split the States into West and East and leave the North and South alone.  We could have Western North Dakota and Eastern South Dakota.  We also get Western South Dakota and Eastern North Dakota.  Then merge Western South Dakota with Western North Dakota and get a new State called Western Plains.  The eastern half could merge the same way and be called Minnesota. 

I can change my name to something cool like Plainstalker.   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:48:32 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 09:50:03 PM »
My first impulse was to observe that it would be a retarded move...but Megakota would be a pretty cool name. 8)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:59:03 AM »
KELO TV picked up a story out of Ohio. WCMH in Columbus also published a story in which seven percent of people think chocolate milk comes from brown cows. I don't think it would be to much of a stretch to say they were the same people that signed the petition. Little Columbus has 10,000 more people than the entire state of South Dakota. Just a coincidence? That's only 1.1% of their population. Far less than the percentage of them that think brown cows produce chocolate milk.

Convoluted logic. I should have been a politician. :puke:

South Dakota is a great neighbor and I really like their ideas on personal income tax. But, while I like sharing a border,  I don't want to share everything with them.

With such a small percentage signing, I don't think there is much to worry about. Kind of like the Buffalo Commons fiasco a few decades back.  :rofl:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 02:28:59 PM »
While it won't happen the story made a lot of outlets including Business Week and the Wall Street Journal.  They didn't say if it was in the comedy section or not.

You are right that it sounds about like another Buffalo Commons type idea.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 06:27:55 PM »
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 08:25:28 PM »
is unknown to me. 

...Not good

...I can change my name to something cool like Plainstalker.

It sounded good
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 07:58:10 PM »
Stan might have to change his name. :shrug:

https://www.keloland.com/amp/news/national/thousands-sign-petition-to-merge-north-south-dakota-into-megakota-/1699202139

It's just another Dumbocrat ploy to get rid of two Republican Senate seats.

I think you just decoded their plan, Moe!
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!