Author Topic: Pheasant  (Read 412 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Pheasant
« on: January 23, 2019, 08:59:43 AM »
Recently,  my son in law shot a number of pheasants,  and gave me several.  They were skinned, cleaned and vac packed frozen.  I thawed out two the other day and got to work.  This was my first time ever with these birds.
I used the dark meat for a pasta dish.  Tri Color Rotini with a sherry cream sauce.  I poached the breasts in stock made from the carcasses and a bit of orange juice.  After poaching, I pan seared them in butter to give some color.   Served them over garlic mashed potatoes with a port wine,  shallot reduction.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Pheasant
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:11:03 AM »
For someone unfamiliar with bringing a pheasant-based meal to the table, I'd say you did a splendid job of it......ya' had me droolin' anyway! :thumbsup: :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 05:28:23 PM »
Looks good to me.  I've only had pheasant cooked in a cream of chicken casserole dish that my grandma would make.  Good but didn't look as good as those. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 02:33:57 PM »
Sounds great!  I guess I was at Rendezvous when you posted this.  I harvested and ate dove, quail, and rabbits when I was young. Never got a pheasant.  Or a duck for that matter.  I've eaten good duck.  Kelly is really turned off by wild meat.  Not squeamish, just that unfamiliar taste. 

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 03:08:11 PM »
I have eaten a lot of pheasant over the years as it was one of my favorite birds to hunt.  I spent a lot of time in Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, and South Dakota (before I moved here) over the years.  Most of the time I cooked them in a stir fry with other vegetables and even baked a few. 

What you have made looks great and probably tastes great too.  Of the two dishes the one with the mashed potatoes looks most appealing to me.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)