Author Topic: Tent Question  (Read 1882 times)

Offline UncleTimbo

• Mill File
Tent Question
« on: January 23, 2019, 06:54:35 PM »
Hey guys, Uncle Timbo here and I've got a burning, tearing question. I'm kinda looking for a 2 person tent. Which I figured I go with a 3 person so I had some extra room.
I'm looking for one that'll take a small wood stove with an exhaust. But one that won't break the bank.
Anybody have any ideas?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Tent Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:33:14 PM »
If you want a wood stove you need a fair sized tent.  Canvas is the best and you would be better off to look for a used one if you are going to try to keep the price down.  There are some pretty interesting options like the lavvu tents that a stove will work in but my only experience is with traditional canvas wall tents that are big enough to live in.

I like the looks of this one but have no experience with it nor have I ever seen one in person:

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/megahorn-tipi-tent-wood-stove-jack

You will need to look at what is available and on line retailers like Amazon can give you some good ideas of both types and prices that are out there.  The link below is just a list of tents they have and a lot of them have jacks in them for a stove. 

https://www.amazon.com/wall-tent-stove-jack/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awall%20tent%20with%20stove%20jack

Good luck with your search.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »
I agree 100% with Stan...Nylon fabric and wood stoves don't go well together...but for $300 and change you might give that Megahorn Tipi a closer look :shrug:...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »
Been looking for a Lavvu too. But before we get too far> what size stove? And what's the rest of the story. Wife and kid with cocoa or Wilderness hunting trek or...?
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline UncleTimbo

• Mill File
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 09:40:06 PM »
Been looking for a Lavvu too. But before we get too far> what size stove? And what's the rest of the story. Wife and kid with cocoa or Wilderness hunting trek or...?
Real good question. It would be me and a buddy. Wouldn't catch the wife out there for all the $$$ in the world. Stove would be homemade.
The Megahorn looks pretty sweet
. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 09:45:12 PM by UncleTimbo »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 04:27:38 PM »
I recently found Quest outfitters has a tipi kit. It can be a tarp, lean to, or A frame as well. 1.1oz silnylon so maybe no stove? It's pretty cheap but there is work involved.
$68.50 2nd or $114 for 1st quality fabric.
https://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-tent,sleeping%20bag-cart.htm
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 04:50:07 PM »
I wonder what is involved in sewing that tarp so it is a usable tipi?  Anything you look at tell you that?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 07:23:19 PM »
No. I wish they would offer the pattern only as they do with their other goods.

[size=9 pt]Suggested fabrics:  1.1 oz Silnylon, coated 2.2 oz ripstop
Due to design size, exact measurements and
 instructions for layout are given rather than a pattern.[/size]
[/color]
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 07:40:23 PM »
How about making a tipi out of plastic tarps & gorilla tape.....

And add a stove....

The paint pail stove.....

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 08:08:46 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »
I ain't seeing any photos Wolfy.
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 01:19:42 PM »
I wonder what is involved in sewing that tarp so it is a usable tipi?  Anything you look at tell you that?

Hushnel's wife has a degree in sewing and done several teepee-like works.  Hush has got an antique sewing machine fetish right now and can be a great help in steering towards success... if you can get him to pick up the phone.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 09:32:36 PM »
I ain't seeing any photos Wolfy.

It's a series of three YouTube videos from Lonnie at Far North Bushcraft & Survivaly telling how to make a pretty slick & substantial looking 2-3 person hot 'tipi' out of a plastic tarp & Gorilla Tape.  There's also a video on the 5 gallon paint bucket stove that he made to heat it with.  Anyway, I thought it looked like an inexpensive and pretty easily constructed project for making a wintertime hot tent.  You can go to YouTube and see them, also .
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:21:03 AM by wolfy »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »
Must have been my computer as they are there now.  Thanks.   :cheers: :cheers:
(Mark Twain)

Offline UncleTimbo

• Mill File
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 08:50:11 PM »
Our family had a 7x7 canvas umbrella tent when I was growing up. The canvas was real heavy duty. It also had a built in canvas floor. Whenever we'd camp out in the summer time, if you didn't come outta that thing early, Mr. Sunshine would bring you out! I can still remember that canvas smell.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 09:53:48 PM »
It's  not much help because I don't have one. Nevertheless I did find an eBay seller honest_zen...sounds like a scam already, but has 100% + feedback. I did not look to see what that consisted of. I would before I bought one. If you don't have a need for Sunforger, some tents get low in price.

My buddies get tired of talking to me after a certain time so I just got a really good sleeping bag.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 10:54:51 AM »
Our family had a 7x7 canvas umbrella tent when I was growing up. The canvas was real heavy duty. It also had a built in canvas floor. Whenever we'd camp out in the summer time, if you didn't come outta that thing early, Mr. Sunshine would bring you out! I can still remember that canvas smell.

Ha ha.  I had one of those waxed or oiled canvas tents, dark green, back in the late fifties.  We would camp out in that thing and when the heat woke you up and you crawled out it was like escaping a fire.  Had not thought about that heat and that smell in a long time, thanks Timbo.
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 01:08:04 PM »
The heat.  The humidity.  The smell.

Aaaah.  Good times.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 04:02:35 PM »
Canvas tent, canvas floor, no waterproof floor, just tread water when it rained or float the air mattress out if it had any air left in it by daylight. Then the canvas would shrink. We had an umbrella style and after a few years the framework would hardly fit. The surplus pup tents weren't much better. No floor, so spray the bug spray until your eyes watered. Then filter your breathing through the sleeping bag until the air cleared. In the morning the dew would be so heavy you couldn't get out without getting your knees getting wet. It sure was fun when we were ten.

Offline UncleTimbo

• Mill File
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 07:35:13 AM »
Ha! Remember you didn't want to touch the inside of the tent if it was raining?
When using this tent while camping, I'd throw a bunch of dried leaves under it before setting it up. Instant padding.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 03:21:23 PM »
My first tent was made from an old chenille beadspread that my folks were going to throw out.....excellent for sunny days, but definitely leaky during a rain. :P

My first 'real' tent was a single-pole miner's-style tent with a Roy Rogers (my heroes have always been cowboys) logo on two sides.  It too, was a fair weather affair that wasn't made to shed water.

Outside of our Boy Scout Troop's bakers and explorers, we didn't own any real tents until my brother and I bought a canvas 9 X 9 foot green & yellow umbrella tent with a floor and an outside tubular aluminum frame from Sears for $36.....Ted Williams approved. ;)   We car-camped all over the western states with that heavy beast until we started canoe camping.  I still have it and it's still in good shape.  It's now a 'loaner tent' for folks that need one for a weekend trip or who need a tent for their kids to sleep in.

My all time best canvas tent was a painted 16' Sioux tipi with the longer Cheyenne or Crow smoke flaps.  Two people can easily live in that thing in ALL kinds of weather.....high winds, high heat, bitter cold, it didn't matter.  Cool in summer & warm in winter with only a small fire....no stove required.  We were always comfortable in it.  Of course, you need a van or a pickup to haul the poles around and it takes about 30 minutes to pitch properly, but it was the best tent to live in for extended periods of time that I ever had....or probably ever will have.  :thumbsup:
                                                                        :tent:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 03:41:56 PM »
Always wanted a tipi but my habits led me to mountain tents for use at high altitude.  The best two tents I ever had were a REI mountain tent and my current tent, a Noel three season model made thirty five years ago by a fellow who lived in Washington.  I loaned it to a kid a few years ago and had to buy new poles for it.   :P
Found a guy who had replacements and he told that Noel was still around but didn't make tents these days.

It is a great tent but not for winter camping. 

(Mark Twain)