Author Topic: LONNIE MAKES A HOT-TENT STOVE  (Read 253 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
LONNIE MAKES A HOT-TENT STOVE
« on: January 26, 2019, 12:08:21 PM »
This is one of the nicest stove-builds I've seen....

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: LONNIE MAKES A HOT-TENT STOVE
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »
Good video, well done from an instruction standpoint I suppose.  There were two things I thought about on this one.

Is a single thickness of stove pipe galvanized thick enough to use in a stove bottom and not have it burn through after a few uses?   ???

The guy needs to wear some fricken gloves when he works with that stuff.  I worked with raw sheet metal a few times in my youth and it will cut you easily if you are not wearing leather gloves.

Nice beard too.   :)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 05:18:51 PM »
Yeah, the no gloves deal kind of had me shivering, too.  As for the stove's bottom, I'd think a layer of sand in the bottom would go a long way in extending the life of that thin metal.  Lonnie always seems to do good instructional videos.   I subscribed to his channel when his beard was still safe around a campfire......maybe that's why he built the stove. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 07:04:17 PM »
I saw that a few days ago. The most impressive part was the fit to the stove pipe with the hammered down flange in the stove box. I thought that was real nice.  I must have FF through the end cap and door. Gotta save something for the mystery of discovery
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 10:03:54 AM »
I've been subscribed to Lonnie channel for years now. I too enjoy watching his video's.
Yea he has some tough hands, didn't see one drop of blood. I guess good hand coordination helps.
I think it would last for some time if you didn't build too hot of a fire, and as wolfy said some form of insulation in the bottom would help
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar