Author Topic: 4 days on snowshoes, making a small camp, processing wood, enjoying the snow  (Read 526 times)

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
Hi, my friend and me went for 4 days in the low mountains of Czech Republic for a snowshoe hike. We made a small camp, and spend everyday about half of the daylight on processing wood for the next evening and morning.
We planned to build a igloo as well, but for that we needed to dig down 50cm before we reached usable snow, and we had enough work with the improving the shelter and wood processing, so we we decided the igloo will happen on a next trip.
If you have 13 minutes to spare, feel free to click:
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
That looked like a lot of fun, Dabberty......nice weather for it, too. :thumbsup:      Winter camps take a lot of wood & wood processing......but what else is there to do? :shrug:   Saws are the only way to go in that regard.....you don't work up a sweat & it's faster than using an axe. :choptree:    I liked the scene where you were using the two gluts to split firewood.....good tip! :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Great video Dabberty.  The terrain is good for that kind of camp from what I could see.  I liked the shelter but could not figure out exactly what it was. 

What was that chunk of meat you cooked the first night? 

I like that hooded coat you were wearing on the way out.  Looked both warm and comfortable.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
Very nice, but what's all that white stuff?

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
@wolfy, indeed, thanks to processing wood, we had not much time for other projects like making an igloo. So thats saved for next time.
@wsdstan, first we where digging a small shelter under that tree, and partially into the snow, but every day we expanded it for more comfort. The tree's up there are not so big for that sadly enough. The meat was a piece of pork back. In total we had to pieces that evening. The sweater is my old trusty wool sweater. It is not tightly woven, so when very windy, you might get chilled. But on the other side it breathes great while being active in cold conditions.
@crashdive123, must be color issue's with my camera, just loads of sand, nothing else :-)
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
A fantastic trip!....and the snow laden trees were a site to behold... :thumbsup: :cheers:
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
Love it, Glad you guys were able to get out and enjoy.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar