Author Topic: Alafia Rendezvous  (Read 298 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Alafia Rendezvous
« on: January 28, 2019, 08:32:45 AM »
10 days of living back in the 100 years between 1740 and 1840.  With 1500 of my newest best friends.  lol.

Me ready to go.

There were a lot of characters.

My camp.

Trading blanket.

Some use teepees

Some went with wall tents.  This guy next to me must have a rope and knot fetish.  lol

Then there's the ones that need big tents.  They must load up the whole house.

hawk and knife range

Gun Range

Breadman.  You haven't tasted bread until its baked in this and slathered with molasses and lard.

Retiring my homeade mocs for wet and cold weather for an upgrade.

The owner came as a Spaniard from St. Augustine.

Sunset at Alafia Rendezvous in Indian Territory

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Alafia Rendezvous
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »
Nice photos.  Looks like a great event.

The photo of the tipis at sunset is terrific.  You ought to blow it up and frame it.

The moccasins in the photo on the right, can you tell me about those?  Brand, where you got them.  I like them.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 10:55:09 AM »
Stan the mocs are Poppens.  He's real popular here.  The mocs are very comfy and he'll resole them for you down the road.  They are lined with deer skin and have a "cheater" foam insert (which really helps when you're walk miles a day).  The style is eastern woodland center seam.   He also makes fine knives.  The Wooten neckers are beautiful.  He and his wife live here in FL but they came from up north. 
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 11:02:35 AM »
Thanks Tony   :cheers:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline lowcard1

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 01:13:46 PM »
Man looks like you had a real good time was Kelly with you? Did you go throw some hawks or knives?

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 01:27:18 PM »
Hey Chris.  Kelly wasn't with me.  It's a bad time of the school year to take off 10 days (Like there is a good time.  lol).  One more year and she's retired.  She's not really hip the whole thing though.  If she changes her mind and wants to come there would be a BIG $$$ expenditure for a tent with a stove and her clothing.

I threw my hawk a few times.  I would really like a primitive homemade throwing knife.  It's on my list to make this year.

I'm starting to get a little obsessed with being period correct.  I'm no longer satisfied with just getting by.  It's really a ton of fun and I learn so much everytime.

See ya soon.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 02:44:55 PM »
I just read your post, Tony.....'bout all I can say is, "UH-OH!"  8) :rofl:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 03:46:42 PM »
Enjoyed hanging out with you, Mike and Deb. wish we had more time. Having the daughter, grandson & exchange student took up all our time. I didn't take any photo's. When I retire I'll be staying the whole 10 days.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 04:03:21 PM »
Yeah wolfy I'm hooked.
Spyder,  that would be outstanding to have you down there with us.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 06:12:25 PM »
Stan the mocs are Poppens.  He's real popular here.  The mocs are very comfy and he'll resole them for you down the road.  They are lined with deer skin and have a "cheater" foam insert (which really helps when you're walk miles a day).  The style is eastern woodland center seam.   He also makes fine knives.  The Wooten neckers are beautiful.  He and his wife live here in FL but they came from up north.

I have a pair of Poppens mocs just like those only in dark brown, I bought them at the Original NE Primitive about 10 years ago,  they wear like iron, well worth the bucks.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 07:18:37 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 03:19:17 AM »
Looks like you had a great time Tony. Great pictures.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 06:17:24 PM »
I like going on visitors day.  Don?t think I could handle living back in the 1830s full time. 

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 11:06:13 PM »
Looks amazing! Where those canvas tarps and tents also weatherproofed in some old school way ?
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 04:30:45 AM »
Looks amazing! Where those canvas tarps and tents also weatherproofed in some old school way ?

They are heavy cotton duck canvas.  Tight weave.  Yes they are pretty waterproof.  We had 2 days of rain down there and I stayed dry under my tarp (you have to know the weather patterns in order to pitch it right).  No treatment on mine.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 05:30:35 AM »
Alright, thanks
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com