Author Topic: #showusyoursteak Cooking a flank steak w/ chimichurri sauce outdoors  (Read 821 times)

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
Hello blade aficionados.  There's a video challenge going on YouTube where people are invited to cook a steak outdoors and talk about men's mental health and bring more awareness to the issue.  A staggering amount of total suicides are men, it's 70 to 80 percent.   A YouTube Channel name HAZE Outdoors started this challenge and I just made a video for it. 

In the video I use a knife from Nordsmith Knives.  It's designed by David Anderson who is a contributing writing for the website- The Truth About Knives.  It's a camp knife with influences from different the camp knives out there: the nessmuck, butchers knife, and Hudson Bay pattern.

The chimichurri sauce is from Argentina and I was introduced to it in a little Argentinian restaurant in Tulum mexico.  It's ingredients:  parsley, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: #showusyoursteak Cooking a flank steak w/ chimichurri sauce outdoors
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 04:15:34 PM »
For a 'Nessmucky' knife, I kinda' liked that one, so there must be enough 'Hudson Bay Camp Knife' in it to keep me drooling, but it's 'sold out'.....probably a good thing, as it's currently priced at $365! :shocked:   

That concoction you whipped up for the marinade sounds like something we've used on grilled deer loin......absolutel y wonderful as I recall. :drool:

As far as the men's mental health issue is concerned and being a retired farmer, I know it's a problem.  Suicide among farmers is among the highest on the list of occupations that seem most plagued by it.  Fortunately, there is the availability of the national & regional 'suicide prevention hot lines,' but NEBRASKA has a counseling program built especially for farmers.  Personally, I have only known one farmer in my area that actually committed suicide.  Usually I just confer with me mates. ;)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 06:42:05 PM »
Looks like a marinade worth a try. 

Here is a good link for statistics regarding suicide.  https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 02:46:11 AM »
For a 'Nessmucky' knife, I kinda' liked that one, so there must be enough 'Hudson Bay Camp Knife' in it to keep me drooling, but it's 'sold out'.....probably a good thing, as it's currently priced at $365! :shocked:   

That concoction you whipped up for the marinade sounds like something we've used on grilled deer loin......absolutel y wonderful as I recall. :drool:

As far as the men's mental health issue is concerned and being a retired farmer, I know it's a problem.  Suicide among farmers is among the highest on the list of occupations that seem most plagued by it.  Fortunately, there is the availability of the national & regional 'suicide prevention hot lines,' but NEBRASKA has a counseling program built especially for farmers.  Personally, I have only known one farmer in my area that actually committed suicide.  Usually I just confer with me mates. ;)

It didn't taste half bad!  I imagine I would taste amazing on deer.  I'll need to track some down it give it a try. 

Thank you for feeding us all!  I'm glad that there's resources out there to help with mental health.  I'm something I never really gave much thought to until I got older and had to deal with issues.  I've personally have learned a lot by doing the video and sharing and interacting with everyone.   Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

My particular knife is in AEB-L and it's $300.  The 3V is the one that's $365.  It's designed by Nordsmith but actually made by LT Wright knives.  It's kinda 2 knives in one, all inclusive camp knife so that's how I  justify the price :)

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 02:48:17 AM »
Looks like a marinade worth a try. 

Here is a good link for statistics regarding suicide.  https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

Scary stats for sure, I've learned a lot from this.  Thanks for sharing the link my friend.  If you like steak videos, there are many videos on youtube with way better steaks than mine. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=show+us+your+steak