Author Topic: U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. Blood  (Read 1064 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. Blood
« on: February 09, 2019, 07:08:06 AM »
So they want a sample of my blood.  Not going to happen.  I appreciate my brothers and sisters who have served.  I act locally to help the ones with problems.  But giving the government my DNA is waaaay over the line.

Am I wrong?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. Blood
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 08:02:28 AM »
Why does the VA want a sample of your blood?  Kinda need the rest of the story.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 09:20:45 AM »
They don't say other than Million Veteran Program.  10 page questionnaire.  About everything from deployment in OEF, OIF, alcohol consumption, service record, medical history, etc.

They already have that info.  With the political atmosphere right now I'm gun shy.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »
Ahhh, first I've heard of it.  I'm a vet, but have never received any healthcare benefits from the VA and they won't give me any.  I've tried.  In any case, I wouldn't even fill out the questionnaire.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »
I don't understand why they need to keep asking for the same information from one doctor's office office to another, over and over again, either.  Even the same office will ask for the same information again and again.  Why isn't there a central repository for this mass of information that all your doctors can access to save time and aggravation, not only for their convenience, but for that of the patient, also.  With all that information cataloged in one easily accessed location it would be simple to make updates to the information as the patient's medications and conditions evolve, via computer. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 10:05:34 AM »
The VA having their head up their asses is not news.  I stopped going there years back. Thankfully I can afford private care.  Most can't.  This is a national shame.

Nuke, they were all in for my medical needs until they weren't.  And I paid the price for abruptly stopping meds.  I'm good now, but that was a bad time.

The questions seem to lead to an opening for them to r3d 7lag anybody with problems. 

Maybe I'm paranoid.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 10:19:00 AM »
I think you are right to tell them to take a flying F on that one.  Your DNA should be protected. The Feds, Google, and a Facebook are all data base builders to get you ready for the cage they will assign you when they get all the power.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 10:20:39 AM »
Craig,  I'm seeing 2 doctors right now.  I have reminded them each time of confidentiality.  I sorta doubt they could coordinate info anyway.  They're not even in the same sort of practice.  One tried to get my VA records released to him with my permission.  LOL.  That was 5 years ago.  He knew from the get go it was a futile pursuit. 

All this socialized medicine $hit just makes me sick.  Put health care in the hands of the government?  They severely underestimate our intelligence.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 10:27:34 AM »
Stan, 

There was a time where I put my entire life into service.  Lotsa promises broken there.  I'm older, meaner, and calloused.  I know when my chain is getting yanked. 

I don't trust our government.  I love the USA!
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 10:45:08 AM »
You hit the nail directly on the head with that last line of thought! :coffee:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 12:26:34 PM »
Yes you did Tony.  Our government cannot be trusted.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 07:22:41 PM »
Hmm. Can any of you flesh-out those thoughts? I do uunderstand  you are proud of your service. But, if you don't trust the government- who, whom, and whomst ends were you truly serving then?

Did the Gov. have some switchover at 25:00 on some certain date? "We were all good at such a time and then it was all untrustworthy!"  :shrug:
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 08:31:56 PM »
Unk, there are some things that if you have to explain them, the recipient wouldn't understand them.
There are some things you can smell in the wind that gradually change with time. One of those things is the trustworthiness of Uncle Sam. He loses a bit of his integrity every time a veteran has to jump bogus hurdles at the VA. That smell in the wind has slowly gotten more foul over the past 40 years. And not just the VA, but many departments. Some of which did not even exist 40 years ago. They just came out of the chute smelling bad. Just pick a couple of the latest ones.
There are to many people employed with no accountability for their actions. They don't have any real work to do and they feel unappreciated. At the very least, they want to feel important and have a little control over their lives and jobs. And so, you end up jumping through their personal hoops.
I'm not sure about 2500 hours, but I'm familiar with 0 dark 30. Are they related?  :)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 04:24:29 AM »
 delete
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:39:27 AM by madmax »
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 06:51:42 PM »
Unk, there are some things that if you have to explain them, the recipient wouldn't understand them.
There are some things you can smell in the wind that gradually change with time. One of those things is the trustworthiness of Uncle Sam. He loses a bit of his integrity every time a veteran has to jump bogus hurdles at the VA. That smell in the wind has slowly gotten more foul over the past 40 years. And not just the VA, but many departments. Some of which did not even exist 40 years ago. They just came out of the chute smelling bad. Just pick a couple of the latest ones.
There are to many people employed with no accountability for their actions. They don't have any real work to do and they feel unappreciated. At the very least, they want to feel important and have a little control over their lives and jobs. And so, you end up jumping through their personal hoops.
I'm not sure about 2500 hours, but I'm familiar with 0 dark 30. Are they
  40 years
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:35:02 AM by Unknown »
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 11:54:15 AM »
Hmm. Can any of you flesh-out those thoughts? I do uunderstand  you are proud of your service. But, if you don't trust the government- who, whom, and whomst ends were you truly serving then?

Did the Gov. have some switchover at 25:00 on some certain date? "We were all good at such a time and then it was all untrustworthy!"  :shrug:

You asked the question; three actually, and then delivered a rebuttal to the reply. I thought that might be construed as baiting, but then I noted that it has been edited to two words.

So, let's take the 40 years and extend it back to November, 1864. Sand creek, CO. There were investigations by congress, but not one person was held accountable in the aftermath. There was an agreement in place but it was ignored by people representing the government. So, you are right: going back forty years is not enough. Treachery and deceit have lurked just below the surface for a long time and it has been condoned and even sanctioned by the highest powers in the land.

What are we supposed to do? It's gotten so congress doesn't even have to take action. Some 'do good' bureaucracy hacks sit around a conference table and make up new rules and regulations with the power of law. Woe be unto he or she that should defy them.

I do uunderstand  you are proud of your service. But, if you don't trust the government- who, whom, and whomst ends were you truly serving then?

Some of us were drafted. We did not have a choice. You did register for the draft didn't you?

Sorry, couldn't resist the snarky comment. It goes so well with my arrogance. I was going to make a subtle oblique reference to furry hatbands and wrinkly tobacco pouches but decided that would be over the line. Wait, I just did. You'll have to dig deep to get those.

Too much? too soon?

Ok. I'll be quiet now. (whispers to self "It was fun though")

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 06:03:32 AM »
I'll just say this.  I joined the Navy at 17.  My Dad had to cosign the papers.  I took an oath to protect my country from enemies both foreign and domestic.  The second amendment is not about hunting guns or even carry,  It's about protecting the people from a tyrannical government.

..and that's all I have to say about that.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »
No need to say more when it is well said the first time. Thank you.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 05:59:12 PM »
I was 20 when I took the oath.  It has  no expiration.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 08:16:26 PM »

You asked the question; three actually, and then delivered a rebuttal to the reply. I thought that might be construed as baiting, but then I noted that it has been edited to two words.

So, let's take the 40 years and extend it back to November, 1864. Sand creek, CO. There were investigations by congress, but not one person was held accountable in the aftermath. There was an agreement in place but it was ignored by people representing the government. So, you are right: going back forty years is not enough. Treachery and deceit have lurked just below the surface for a long time and it has been condoned and even sanctioned by the highest powers in the land.

What are we supposed to do? It's gotten so congress doesn't even have to take action. Some 'do good' bureaucracy hacks sit around a conference table and make up new rules and regulations with the power of law. Woe be unto he or she that should defy them.

I do uunderstand  you are proud of your service. But, if you don't trust the government- who, whom, and whomst ends were you truly serving then?

Some of us were drafted. We did not have a choice. You did register for the draft didn't you?

Sorry, couldn't resist the snarky comment. It goes so well with my arrogance. I was going to make a subtle oblique reference to furry hatbands and wrinkly tobacco pouches but decided that would be over the line. Wait, I just did. You'll have to dig deep to get those.

Too much? too soon?

Ok. I'll be quiet now. (whispers to self "It was fun though")

That reply was attenuated. Nevertheless I am glad you got the chance to read it. Bravo on the early rise. Yes, I did register with assistance from a super cute southern lady and a lawyer. I see nothing snaky in your reply, except that you intended to do so. All, just fair questions and fair play. I believe your reference to hatbands and pouches regards the irregular use of bits of enemy genitalia as war trophy. N'est pas?

Me, I'm not so sure. I have spent time in the company of men- some good/ some bad. To be honest that does not seem like a thing that could erupt amoung a company of mixed men (by which I mean good and bad- in simple terms) of European descent. Such atrocities are not what we do. IMO you are repeating a false narrative- that is not to say it was never done. Who was posing as whom; I can't be sure. I'm am not especially well read in the interplay to which you refer.  I do admit that desperate people, regardless of ethnic origin, may not be above the temptation of financial gain. Gains, bounty; paid by whom, and to what end?

War happens. People disagree. Tribes of any given Ancestry have goals opposed to the same from Others. Those people didn't want to loose then. They fought and lost. My people do not want to loose now.

As bushcraft we just might have the skill to survive the abandonment/ loss of this techno society. Reboot. You have an Oath: uphold it.  :shrug: all you want to do is canoe. Bum around in a peaceful society of easy-going spirits. That requires a homogenous society that believes in and values that experience. Enjoying and involving oneself in the unfolding revelation of natural systems- like kyaking down a river, skiing mountain slopes, hiking into high places, camping in the woods, etc.

Vets; I've heard different stories my whole life. I'm not old enough to hear from civil war folk. WW 1 and on.... propagandized ... now that the propaganda is less flattering... it doesn't feel the same does it?
Pete this time I will leave you the full text as material to work with.

-Unknown

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 09:44:10 PM »
Unknown,
   material to work with? No need to work with anything, I know exactly where you stand on this. You were very explicit. May your views serve you well.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 03:30:24 AM »
The VA having their head up their asses is not news.  I stopped going there years back. Thankfully I can afford private care.  Most can't.  This is a national shame.

Nuke, they were all in for my medical needs until they weren't.  And I paid the price for abruptly stopping meds.  I'm good now, but that was a bad time.

The questions seem to lead to an opening for them to r3d 7lag anybody with problems. 

Maybe I'm paranoid.

MY mon retired from the VA as a nurse. She was not happy with how vets were treated. They also treat their employees like crap also
Nice matters

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 08:30:02 AM »
I guess I should qualify my opinion.  There were very nice professional overworked and underappreciated people that helped me and treated my wife with respect when talking about my care.  In fact, they outnumbered the worthless and rude ones.  But of course, those were the ones that stood out.  And none of my personal contacts there shut me out abruptly and left me hanging.  That came from above.  I guess the VA is just another bloated government money pit.  Meanwhile the veterans' suicide, addiction rates, and homelessness keeps me trying not to think of it.  I take Max to see some of the vets in church and government housing.  He seems to cheer them up some.  It's not enough. 
Hunter S, Thompson