Author Topic: OK, so mankind isn't all bad.  (Read 216 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
OK, so mankind isn't all bad.
« on: February 17, 2019, 03:30:24 PM »
Kelly went to get gas for our mower.  She paid and started out the door.  An older man said, "Oh I just heard you getting 2 dollars worth of gas.  Here.  Get 10."  She thanked him anyway and profusely explained that she was just getting mower gas.

? I teared up.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: OK, so mankind isn't all bad.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 04:41:47 PM »
 :shocked:

nice gesture on his part, and on her part.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 07:06:14 PM »
   I think there's a lot of really good folks out there. It's when they gather in bunches that the personal level of empathy goes down. (insert picture of U.S. capitol in background) :fire1:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 10:20:45 AM »
DC is a cesspool.

I've seen a lot of compassion in small towns.  But "small town secrets" is an oxymoron.  LOL.  Our NC land is near a small town that I always thought was a "Mayberry RFD".  Yeah well somebody wrote a coupla books on town history.  Hooo Boy!  Skeletons fell out of closets like leaves in fall falling off the trees.  Overall they are very civil and charitable to each other.  Churches have a lot to do with it I think.

One summer I stopped up there at the convenience store for gas and pumped first.  Went inside and thought I'd get some beer.  I paid.  For the beer.  Totally forgot about the gas.  A coupla mins later I get blue lights in my rearview mirror.  State Trooper.   He did a John Wayne walk up to my truck and said,  "Did you forget something?"  Huh?  Then he laughed and said,  "You might want to go back and pay for the gas."  I almost peed myself.  He said the clerk called and told dispatch that it was an honest oversight.  I went back and fell all over myself apologizing and thanking the clerk for not having me arrested.  They both said they recognized my truck.  whew.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 10:59:34 AM »
How many remember those days when you went into a business and when trying to pay by check a common question was "So, Who's your dad?"
It was an informal check of ID and trustworthiness. I had it done to me and I remember doing it myself to young fellas I didn't recognize. Small town friendliness. Usually you just ignore the skeletons. If you drag 'em out, they invite yours out along with 'em.  ;D

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »
The town nearest our farm is getting a bit bigger every year and some places, chain stores mainly, are starting to ask for id when you write a check. 

After serving on a jury for awhile I don't think asking for id is a bad idea unless you know the buyer real well.

I drove off without paying for my gas last year or so Tony.  The owner watched me leave, his clerk just laughed and they both said "he'll be back in a little bit" at the same time.  I remembered about five minutes later, went back, and was greeted with laughter.  In a town where they didn't know you then you might have been arrested.

Lucky me that day.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sundance Creek

• Mill File
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 05:48:08 AM »
sorta like me not having my wallet after filling up

guy says drop off the $$ when come back into town

they know I only come to town once aday

very small town

I have lived in citys all across Canada

I always had an anger mgmt. prob?? folks to pushy.. arrogant.. idiotic

since I been in this little town I love it

we still got our probs but most folks are pretty good

or else I,m just getting older????

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:47:49 PM »
The first or second day I arrived in this village, I stopped for lunch at one of the eateries. I came back out and couldn't find my car keys!  I peeked in the window to see if I'd locked them in the car. Nope.  Looked all around the car and sidewalk to see if I dropped them. Nope.  Went back inside and check the booth where I'd been seated. Nope.
I went back outside and just paced a bit, wondering "What do I do now?".  Then I happened to glance at one of the little trees planted along the parking strip.  There were my keys. Someone had found them on the ground, and hung them in the tree for "safe keeping". I knew I'd found a home!

A month or two later, I paid for some gas and drove home.  Soon the phone rang. It was the clerk at the gas station telling me I might want to come back and get my wallet!  Of course, everything in the wallet was untouched, except for my D.L. which the clerk has used to look up my name in our 20-page phone book and given me that call. 

During the 2011 Fur Rendezvous, this fella "parked" his saddle and pack horse out in the parking lot tied off to a power pole.  He hung his gun and belt over the saddle horn and went in to wet his whistle.  The sidearm was perfectly safe.  Of course, even out little town has changed in the past 8 years.  If he did that today, some a$$hat would probably steal the whole horse!!!

I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.