Author Topic: It's Enormous and it's Coming Toward You!  (Read 165 times)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
It's Enormous and it's Coming Toward You!
« on: February 17, 2019, 07:01:19 PM »

Things are a bit slow so I thought I'd post a link to an article that talks about tree squirrel alarm calls. 

Tree squirrels are vigilant, always on the lookout for predators.  They're also loudmouths!

If you?re tuned to what squirrels are saying, you can use it to your advantage.  You can detect unseen animals, and minimize your own disturbance as you walk through the woods.

This article shows you how to do it.  Have you ever used squirrels to find animals while you hike?

It's Enormous and it's Coming Toward You! How to interpret Squirrel Alarm Calls (Audio)

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: It's Enormous and it's Coming Toward You!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 07:30:29 PM »
Steve where I hunt Turkey there are a fair number of squirrels.  Especially along the river or the creeks that feed into the river.  I have found these, in our area anyway, to use the kuk sound (chattering)  when you approach them but have never heard the other sounds. It is when I am moving after first light and if one sees me and starts chattering I will usually just keep going and when I am just a little bit out from the tree they are in it goes quiet.  It may be that they make the other sounds when I am far enough away that I cannot hear them.  If you sit down and don't move when they are chattering at you they soon quit and won't carry on until you get up. 

Squirrels move about a fair bit during the day and it is not unusual for them to travel on the ground from one tree to another when there is not any other way to get where they are going.  If one come close to where I am sitting and I make a quick movement they will dash away and go up the nearest tree, find a good vantage point, and chatter at you for a time but in that instance no further sounds are made. 

I will listen a bit better this Spring to see if I can hear the sounds noted in the sound tracks. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
Re: It's Enormous and it's Coming Toward You!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 07:44:09 PM »
wsdstan, it's interesting to hear your thoughts.  As a hunter, you have a practical interest in the squirrels not giving you away.

When I track, the birds around me issue alarm calls.  But if I move slowly and put out a "peaceful vibe," they resume their normal behavior and I can move silently.  I don't enjoy this courtesy from the local squirrels.  As long as I'm visible, they don't return to baseline.  And they see me coming and going.

But they've also helped me find fox and bobcat.  So at least they're not singling me out.  :)

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om