Author Topic: Peak #8 Arrow Head  (Read 455 times)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
Peak #8 Arrow Head
« on: March 07, 2019, 07:11:46 AM »
OK...here we go, #8 in my self imposed 20 peak challenge
10'000 ft elev 17 miles round trip
Arrow Peak and i have a bit of a history, years ago i had to carry a dog down the steep talus slope who's feet were tore up from the scree....i suffered several bites, but i got him down.
Another time i nearly had to carry a flatlander from Florida down as well...he overstated his physical abilities and quit me half way down the south face (left side) of the mountain...i mean, he just sat down and said he could not go on!!!??it was getting late, growing dark with crashing thunder and pouring down rain...it took a lot of cussing and yelling on my part to get him back on his feet again and back down to the trailhead...i learned a thing or two about taking folks into the backcountry that day...anyways here it is...thanks for lookin...woods
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:07:19 AM by woodsrunner »
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Peak #20 Arrow Head
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 01:30:06 PM »
Another good video Woods.  Thanks.  Nice to see Dinga in that one.  Good show goes to you of course for taking good care of him up there.  Great terrain and the view from the top is really something.  That is as tough a scree field as I have seen. 

I used to hunt ptarmigan a lot down in Colorado.  They like to hang out in the willows and along high rocky benches on peaks like the one you climb in this video.  My Lab, due to me not taking along the boots and also not paying close attention, had to be carried back to the Jeep after our first hunt on a similar area.  She recovered quickly but I felt (and still feel) like a dumbass for letting it happen.  The scree turned her pads into hamburger and really quickly.  Taking an 85 pound dog back to the Jeep wasn't easy but at least it was all downhill.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 03:56:22 PM »
Yes sir Stan!
You know what i'm talking about amigo!
I felt like a total ass taking that dog through that mess...being my first time up this mountain i discovered it was worse than i thought it would be...and i tried to take a short cut back down...another mistake!
Funny, i did not feel nearly as bad for the flatlander ???...oh well...thanks for watching and commenting...as a side note, i'm always running into ptarmigan up in these lofty places :)...take care Stan....springs on its way :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 08:17:18 PM »
I, too, enjoy these vids, woods.....about the only way I would ever get to see the tops of these peaks, outside of a helicopter ride, maybe.  I've seen ptarmigan, but never had the chance to hunt them and even if I did I doubt I?d have the strength to shoulder the shotgun after one of those climbs of yours! :-[   I was more of a long-distance canoe paddler and, at one time long ago, could single-carry any portage I ever encountered.....one that I recall (a real brute with the canoe, equipment pack & a heavy #3 Duluth food pack) was on the first day of a 10 day trip in British Columbia.....5 miles, then a paddle across a small marshy pond, another 1/2 miler and then another 1 & 1/2 miler.  I slept GOOD that night!

Just wondering.....any chance you might give an old Nebraska friend a piggyback ride UP one of those mountains? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 11:18:48 PM »
I, too, enjoy these vids, woods.....about the only way I would ever get to see the tops of these peaks, outside of a helicopter ride, maybe.  I've seen ptarmigan, but never had the chance to hunt them and even if I did I doubt I?d have the strength to shoulder the shotgun after one of those climbs of yours! :-[   I was more of a long-distance canoe paddler and, at one time long ago, could single-carry any portage I ever encountered.....one that I recall (a real brute with the canoe, equipment pack & a heavy #3 Duluth food pack) was on the first day of a 10 day trip in British Columbia.....5 miles, then a paddle across a small marshy pond, another 1/2 miler and then another 1 & 1/2 miler.  I slept GOOD that night!

Just wondering.....any chance you might give an old Nebraska friend a piggyback ride UP one of those mountains? :shrug:
I knew you were into Canoe tripping, as you may know, I also love to take longish canoe trips and have suffered severe weather and long heavy portages...but i have also had many easy days with trailing seas and fair weather!...Craig and Stan both, i wish we knew one another twenty years ago...we could have had us some high ol times :) running rapids and dancing across mountain tops. :canoe: :canoe: :canoe: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I'll tell you what brother...ive got a group of chechakos from Ohio and Michigan coming in for some high adventures in early August...you get to the Music Ranch and i'll get you the rest of the way!...though i'm thinking a three day paddle down the Yellowstone to Columbus MT would be more to your liking...say mid July??? :welcome: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:...thanks for watching and liking my vids Craig: :cheers:...Dave

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Peak #8 Arrow Head
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 01:23:43 PM »
Boy would that be fun.  Hmmmm.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
Re: Peak #8 Arrow Head
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 01:40:27 PM »
Boy would that be fun.  Hmmmm.
now yer talkin Stan...now yer talkin :)...iv'e done this several times now and can attest to it's being a great run down river...some white water but not bad at all :thumbsup: