Author Topic: Bushcraft or Barbecue  (Read 347 times)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
Bushcraft or Barbecue
« on: March 11, 2019, 10:22:03 PM »
Is it just me or has the majority of so called Bushcraft youtube channels become little more than cooking shows...i mean really!!!...personally, i always enjoyed watching some guy walking into the bush with limited gear and knock up whatever else he needed using the natural materials at hand  :chopwood: :)
These days everyone wants to show off their outdoor cooking skills and i do mean everyone! >:(
Its a freaking Epidemic.....people aka Bushcrafters ? looking suspiciously like Julia Childs, stuffing their faces with dishes that look like they came out the south end of a north facing cow!   :puke:...and smiling as though they've rediscovered some long lost woodland recipe :rofl:
If i wanted to know how to bake a loaf of bread or ruin a good steak i'd watch reruns of the Galloping Gourmet!

I miss the old commercial free youtube with its low budget ten minute videos, borderline picture and sound quality, droneless landscapes where if you wanted to include an aerial shot, you climbed a dam hill and got it...but whats really gone missing are the truckloads of useful (if somewhat repetitive) tips on woodscraft and camping on the cheap :thumbsup:
...Its me right? :P...LOL...woods

'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Bushcraft or Barbecue
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 07:26:40 AM »
 LOL, Thanks Dave, How I love a good Rant,  I'll have to take your word about those short, grainy, low tech bushcraft videos on U-tube, I only got into what we call bushcraft about 10 years or so ago, before that I was into 18th century period reenacting and Trekking in the mode of what some call the eastern long hunter, any videos that I watched or writings that I read were about the F&I and Rev. war era and it's trappings, before that I was into fishing videos.
 Some of the first videos that I enjoyed and learned about bushcrafting from were made by Dave Canterbury, Mike Barton, Lonnie of Far North Bushcraft and a few others of their ilk, though the video and audio has gotten better not much has changed in their presentation I think.
 But you're right about the cooking aspect of the shows, there seems to be much more time spent on cooking in the bush than there used to be, but then again how many times do you want to watch someone carve a pot hook or attempt to make a spoon,  I made a debris shelter three times in my life, one when I was a kid (we called it a fort), one when I got twisted in a snow storm while hunting,  and once more when I got into this bushcrafting thing, I think I got it down enough that I don't need to watch someone do it again.
 I guess it probably depends on your likes and your abilities, you for example (I'm assuming from your videos) like to explore and conquer new hiking challenges, most of your videos include a hand drill fire and a hot drink and you're on your way again, I have told you that I really enjoy your videos, they let me enjoy those things that my old body and legs won't let me do in real life anymore.
 However, I can still get around in the woods as long as I pace myself and don't try to wander too far,  so for me the enjoyment in my being out is a lean to tarp, a small fire, playing with one of my knives, and cooking something other than Ramen noodles or rehydrating a Mountain House meal, most of my trails bring me close to water so fishing is usually on my list of things to do.
 So yes I agree with you that camp cooking has become more involved in bushcraft videos lately,  for me it's more of a plus than a minus, but then again, I like to cook and I love to eat so it's a win win for me, one more thing to consider, we don't always have to be learning while watching those videos, it's ok to sometimes just be entertained by watching someone do something you enjoy.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 08:43:42 AM »
Guilty! 

The first Kracaneuner camp was a bunch of guys who met on the internet meeting in the woods.  Needless to say everyone had a pistol in their pocket.  LOL.  An armed society is a polite society.  We did bow drill fires, dew collection for water,  and a broad range of shelters.  Since then we have gotten a little older and slower.  We have done the "survival challenges" and multiday canoe trips.  Nowadays we normally bring waaaay too much cast iron and waaaay too much food.  We pretty much sit around, cook, and eat.  Now and then we'll go for a hike or a paddle.  Maybe fish a little.  We enjoy this type of camping.  Some moved away.  Some moved on in their own personal quest for  challenge.  I suppose some of it is where we camp.  No mountains to climb.  Hiking through ankle to thigh high swamp kinda sucks.  Hanging a hammock and sleeping wet sucks.  So most trips are canoe or car.  We've managed to find a little bit of solitude doing both.

I'm back on my feet after a few bad years.  Maybe I'll light a fire under the tribe and try something we, as a group, haven't done.  Gulf coast island camping anyone?

Note.  These guys are like my brothers.  Camping with them has become very important to me.  So there's that.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:25:19 AM »
I hear you Moe and Tony ;)....i like to eat myself and most of my trips into the bush never make it on you tub...a guy can only demo so many friction fires, build so many debris shelters, carve so many spoons, build so many snares, roast so many bunnies ect, ect, ect,...before it all becomes a little repetitively boring, i get that...but...it is after all 'Bushcraft', 'woodcraft', 'survival', whatever!  :shrug:.....while cooking and eating over an open fire is definitely a learned skill, it should not (in my opinion) be the main focus...that is unless of course your channel name goes something like 'The Bushcraft Baker' or some such appropriate title...???...thanks for reading and giving your views on this...some great FEEDback :lol:...atvb...woods

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »
Who needs a fire to eat?

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 10:09:03 AM »
LMAO!...Now thats what i call Bushcraft Cuisine! :thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »
Gosh Max, you have stuff in your mouth I don't want my feet to walk on.   :P

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 02:43:36 PM »
I hear you Moe and Tony ;)....i like to eat myself and most of my trips into the bush never make it on you tub...a guy can only demo so many friction fires, build so many debris shelters, carve so many spoons, build so many snares, roast so many bunnies ect, ect, ect,...before it all becomes a little repetitively boring, i get that...but...it is after all 'Bushcraft', 'woodcraft', 'survival', whatever!  :shrug:.....while cooking and eating over an open fire is definitely a learned skill, it should not (in my opinion) be the main focus...that is unless of course your channel name goes something like 'The Bushcraft Baker' or some such appropriate title...???...thanks for reading and giving your views on this...some great FEEDback :lol:...atvb...woods

What is it they say about movies imitating life,  used to be some guy or gal with outdoor skills would make short videos showcasing their skills mostly for the fun of it, some I guess did it to be recognized, and some did it to get sponsors in order to fund their hobbies,  then at some point U-tube started paying incentives to U-tubers who brought in viewers who in turn brought in advertising money.
 A good example is Ranger Joe (Joe Robinet) from Canada,  for years Joe made videos of him and his dog Scout, at first all he got was recognition from his fans, then as his fan base grew gear companies began giving him gear to use in his videos,  then they began putting up money for traveling expenses and fly in adventures, now his viewer base of subscribers has surpassed half a million he's being paid a handsome yearly income that has allowed him to buy a new home with land in rural Canada plus some very nice toys in the form of 4x4 pick up, a couple of ATV's and snowmobiles, a high end canoe co. furnished two new ultra light canoes, Frost river is giving him top of the line packs,  and the list goes on.
 I don't blame Joe for taking advantage of this, he's worked hard to get there and who knows how long it will last, Joe is just an example, there's quite a few bushcraft U-tubers doing as well or close to it,  Joe is one of those that you've been talking about who's videos include a lot more camp cooking,  I think for a lot of bushcrafters and camper cooking is a big part of their outdoor experience and these folks making the videos listen to what their fans tell them, and if they  suggest that they'd like to see more campfire cooking they're going to get it.

Of course I could be all wet about this, wouldn't be the first time.  (Big Grin)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 02:50:02 PM »
Woods I think you are right.  While I don't watch many bushcraft you-tube videos except your's and one other guy,  In seeing what is available there is a lot of cooking going on. 

I like videos on how to pitch a tarp, set up different kinds of fires, winter camping, and trapping, building traps, and stuff like that.

When my knees went south on me several years ago and got to a point where I couldn't hardly walk  anywhere I kind of lost interest in the skills end of bushcraft and looked at the food end.  Now they have both been replaced for a year and are really pretty good.  I am not in shape to do the peaks you do but I can hike a bit on normal mountain trails. I saw a video on making emergency snowshoes and thought it was pretty good. 

I have watched a few of those Russian guys who go out and build a hunting shelter in the forest and there are some skills videoed that are good how to things like cutting logs, trapping techniques, and using various tools.

I like to camp cook in simple ways without a lot of fancy preparation time.  Skillet meals and making cornbread is about all I really need on a trip where gear is close at hand and if I backpacked any more it would be with my Optimus stove and a variety of soup mixes and those dehydrated meals.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 06:33:48 PM »
Well a man has to eat.
I don't watch many video's or follow to many. I do catch up on Lonnie sometimes. I watch a couple shows, life below zero, The Last Alaskans, so the main think they are doing is getting food to survive.

When I camp for hunting or just go sleep outside for a couple nites, after picking what gear I'm taking, the next and most important is what are we having for food. And as Tony said when we get together as a group, we have plenty to eat and share with anyone who shows up.

Good subject Woods.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »
I guess I'm on Spyder's side of the fence on this one.....sorry, woods. :shrug:    Outside of yours, I don't watch many of the videos, either, although I do catch up with Lonnie and that Australian animal that produces those wordless primitive arts videos.....HE is amazing in his skill sets! :hail:

While I agree with woods that there are a bunch of non-essential cooking videos that seem to be pretty inane and useless, there are some that shine through.  If cooking weren't vitally important to the total outdoor experience, Horace would not have made such a big deal of it in CAMPING AND BUSHCRAFT.  :stir:

In the pre-interweb days when the only Dutch oven books available were Don Holmes' DUTCH OVEN COOKING and the little stapled-back booklet from the Boy Scouts of America (which no longer exists), finding the best & most universally useful staples to take along on an extended stay in the outdoors was learned pretty much on your own by trial & error.  :P

One of my most memorable outdoor cooking experiences was when I took a buddy of mine on his first week-long canoe trip into the Quetico.   From the baking recipe found here in the BASIC FLOUR BARREL thread, I rolled out a batch of dough on the bottom of our overturned Grumman with a Sigg fuel bottle, sprinkled it with a mixture of butter, sugar & cinnamon, sliced it into pieces and baked them in a little 6X9" aluminum bake kettle.  Simple & easy to do, I know....but my partner was so absolutely amazed that he had freshly brewed coffee and hot cinnamon rolls for breakfast out there on a wilderness lake in the Quetico that he still brings it up when we're parked around a campfire. :camp:

I just think good, simple food, cooked to perfection, adds so much more to the enjoyment of any extended sojourn into the outdoors.  Our local Boy Scout troop became famous, among those of our local district, for their excellent pizzas and chicken cordon bleu. ;D

"An army marches on its stomach." 
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"I bake damn good biscuits!"
-Jeremiah Johnson
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 09:27:02 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 05:27:48 AM »
I guess I'm on Spyder's side of the fence on this one.....sorry, woods. :shrug:    Outside of yours, I don't watch many of the videos, either, although I do catch up with Lonnie and that Australian animal that produces those wordless primitive arts videos.....HE is amazing in his skill sets! :hail:

While I agree with woods that there are a bunch of non-essential cooking videos that seem to be pretty inane and useless, there are some that shine through.  If cooking weren't vitally important to the total outdoor experience, Horace would not have made such a big deal of it in CAMPING AND BUSHCRAFT.  :stir:

In the pre-interweb days when the only Dutch oven books available were Don Holmes' DUTCH OVEN COOKING and the little stapled-back booklet from the Boy Scouts of America (which no longer exists), finding the best & most universally useful staples to take along on an extended stay in the outdoors was learned pretty much on your own by trial & error.  :P

One of my most memorable outdoor cooking experiences was when I took a buddy of mine on his first week-long canoe trip into the Quetico.   From the baking recipe found here in the BASIC FLOUR BARREL thread, I rolled out a batch of dough on the bottom of our overturned Grumman with a Sigg fuel bottle, sprinkled it with a mixture of butter, sugar & cinnamon, sliced it into pieces and baked them in a little 6X9" aluminum bake kettle.  Simple & easy to do, I know....but my partner was so absolutely amazed that he had freshly brewed coffee and hot cinnamon rolls for breakfast out there on a wilderness lake in the Quetico that he still brings it up when we're parked around a campfire. :camp:

I just think good, simple food, cooked to perfection, adds so much more to the enjoyment of any extended sojourn into the outdoors.  Our local Boy Scout troop became famous, among those of our local district, for their excellent pizzas and chicken cordon bleu. ;D

"An army marches on its stomach." 
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"I bake damn good biscuits!"
-Jeremiah Johnson

Two Thumbs Up for the above post.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 09:16:00 PM »
It is a good question.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:54:50 AM by Unknown »
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown