Author Topic: March Camp  (Read 246 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
March Camp
« on: March 20, 2019, 02:03:06 PM »
The three of us snuck off for a few days near the beach.

Got a new car camping tent you can stand up in.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: March Camp
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 02:20:07 PM »
I have not seen ground without snow or mud covering it for so long I got excited looking at that place.  Neat tent for car camping too.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 02:34:52 PM »
Looks like a very relaxing environment, Tony.....can/will you reveal where it is located?

Nice tent, BTW! :camp:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 02:44:31 PM »
Sure .  It's on hwy 1 in St Augustine.  Faver Dykes State park.  Quiet.  Lots of hiking and canoeing.

There's an even better campground down the road at Princess Preserve.  But it's hard to get reservations.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 07:18:12 AM »
Heck, we must have driven right past it when we were up there. :P :P   We both really enjoyed St. Augustine.....those 'on & off' trolley tours in both St. Augustine & Savannah were well worth the frogskins!  We learned way more, in a short period of time, than we ever would have on our own....... both of them were VERY beautiful, OLD cities. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 08:42:24 AM »
They really are special.  We "did" Savannah years ago on an antiquing foray.  We stayed a few extra days.  St. Augustine is very unique.  If you didn't already, tour the fort with a guide sometime.  I was fascinated that the coquina walls just absorbed cannon balls.  There's fantastic food choices as well.  Only eat raw oysters in months with an r in the name.  Just south of St Augustine we used to surf a break.  There was a convenience store that had the best mouth watering fried chicken I've ever had.  Nobody I took there believed it until they dug in.  One of those "No Way!" surprises.  There's a BBQ spot near there now that wins awards for their brisket sandwiches.  There is no seating.  You eat in your truck and wash up after with an outside garden hose.  You won't find it in the tourist pamphlets.
Hunter S, Thompson