Author Topic: Lost since November 11, 2018 and found today.  (Read 189 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Lost since November 11, 2018 and found today.
« on: April 15, 2019, 04:36:58 PM »
This involves a knife that started life as a production knife so I put it here.

Back on November 11th of 2018 I had a deer down and had a modified Buck Skinner and a new Kephart from sarge with me and decided just to use the Kephart.  I laid the Buck on the back of the four wheeler in case I needed it for something and when going back to the shop just plumb forgot about it.  When it dawned me the next day I looked for it and had no luck.  I walked my trail back to the farmyard about five times and not a sign of it showed up.  I borrowed a metal detector and still no luck.  Finally I decided it was lost down a rabbit hole and quit looking.  This weekend I bought a used metal detector at a flea market.  The seller said it worked okay and he had just put a fresh battery in it.  I thought it was a good buy.

It is muddy here today but I wanted to try it out on what passes for a lawn at our place so I went over and tested it on some downspout pipe, a metal statue we have in a flower bed, and a pipe by an old well.  It seemed to work really well.  I got on the part of the lawn that was where I lost the knife and headed north out to the place I killed the deer.  Ten feet from where I started I got a buzz from the detector looked down and there lay that Buck knife.  It had been there all winter, 5 months, and I expected it to be damaged a bit.  To my surprise it is perfect.  Nothing rusted (I think this blade is 440C) and the handle is still a bright and shiny black plastic.  The aluminum pommel is, of course, unfazed.   I still had the sheath it came in so it is back after a quick cleanup and I am somewhat amazed.  I should have bought a lottery ticket.

Now I am going to look for my wedding ring that I lost about five years ago. 

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:56:00 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Lost since November 11, 2018 and found today.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:42:16 PM »
I love stories with a happy ending!  Good deal, Stan!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 09:25:41 PM »
Great story, Stan!  And best of luck with that ring!
I've been a "TH'er" since 1969 when I pieced together an old cast iron stove using a borrowed metal detector.
There was a story in my area about an old Indian who used parts of the abandoned military barracks (built in 1855) to build himself a shack amongst the apple trees the soldiers had once planted.  He dragged the old stove out of the barracks and set it up in his shack.  One night he had about 10 too many pulls on the bottle and mistook a piece of stove wood for a stick of dynamite.  He, the cabin, and the stove were scattered over a few hundred feet of pasture land.
So here it is, about 90 years later, and we studied maps, old photos, text and talked to some of the Elders on the reservation.  Finally, we thought we'd found the ancient apple trees, 3 of which were still standing.  A little poking around with a bottom-of-the-line detector, and we eventually ended up with about 150 pieces of stove. The pieces ranged from the size of a 50 cent piece, to part of the door with the logo and patent # on it. They were all under about 6"-8" of sod. 
We'd done the research, put pieces of the puzzle together and done the field work.  We were rewarded with holding a piece of 120 year old history in our hands, dating back to the Indian Wars of 1854-55, and the Union Soldiers who had been stationed there to keep the peace afterward.
I was bitten by the Treasure Hunting Bug bad, and still get a thrill out of finding old square nails, or cartridge cases around vintage homesteads.  Someday I'm going to find one of those Mason jars in a "post-hole bank" full of Liberty Half Dollars! Hahaha!
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 10:01:09 AM »
Great story OP.  Stuff like that, when successful, is rewarding I would think.  Sometimes the old stories are not true but this one must have been.  Neat to find all those pieces.

The detector I bought is a low end model, a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.  I paid $30 for it.  They sell new for $100 or so.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 10:10:06 AM »
Great story OP.  Stuff like that, when successful, is rewarding I would think.  Sometimes the old stories are not true but this one must have been.  Neat to find all those pieces.

The detector I bought is a low end model, a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.  I paid $30 for it.  They sell new for $100 or so.
I'm still using a 1970's vintage White's 5000D sold under the Sears name. My Dream Machine is a newer White's, but nowadays they carry a $600+ price tag! :shocked:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 10:15:05 AM »
Stan, there is hope for that ring you lost. A friend of mine here saw an ad in the paper for someone to call and identify a ring found at a local swimming beach.  The guy was a TH'er, and and been detecting in the area (prime spot for coins, jewelry, keys, etc.) and found this ring. My friend called on a whim and it turned out it was his wife's engagement ring which she'd lost THREE YEARS EARLIER!  Another reason why TH'ing is a rewarding hobby. It's not always about the money/value of the find.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »
You are right that finding the ring is possible.  The day I lost it was started with a short Turkey hunt out west of my place and I have a good recollection of the gully I walked down and where I went on the other side.  This ring was a bit loose on my finger and I have always thought that it pulled off when I took off my gloves.  I also mowed the lawn that day and it is possible it came off there.  A couple from town that I know came out and looked around one day but all they found was bolts, nails, cartridge casings, and a couple of old license plates.  All in the lawn.  They found a place where somebody sat and shot deer with a .270 Winchester.  There were  about thirty cases, different headstamps, and probably different ages from the looks of it.

It will be fun and if, in the end, I find the ring just downright great.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 08:51:33 PM »
Good luck Stan. My wife gifted me one for christmas, I haven't had time to use it yet, but I'll be looking for the blade I lost while mowing last year. Hope I have your same luck.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 08:37:21 AM »
Good luck, hope you find it Spyder.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 08:44:00 AM »
That's great, Stan. Glad you found it.

Hope you find yours, Spyder.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 05:11:06 PM »
Funny this came up. I just found a pair of Vise Grips that I knew fell out of the tool box while bush hogging. I figured they were buried under the chaff. I found them away from where I was mowing. Just glad to have them back. I'm alway finding new things when walking the dog's. A woodpecker cut a perfectly rectangle hole into hemlock then angled down to who knows how deep. I thought it was a healthy tree!!

Have any of you seen magnet fishing videos? I want to try that out on the Oswego River and Erie Canal. There are a lot of RR bridges that are off the beaten path. Great place to toss a gun or knife...
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.