Author Topic: Gobbler  (Read 1611 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Gobbler
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:04:20 PM »
Turkey season has been tougher than usual this year.  Weather has impacted it to a degree with snow and rain shutting the toms up and mud and high rivers making it difficult to get into some places.  Today I waited till 5:00 PM to go out and picked an area where I have had success in in prior years.  I used a decoy today, which I seldom do, but the birds have been really quiet lately and there have been no results trying to call one in.  The decoy was about thirty feet out from where I sat and the hen was staring in my direction.  I yelped three times.  Got an immediate gobble about 150 yards to my right and on the same side of the river.  Yelped again and the toms ran over my yelping with their gobbles.  I sat back and shut up.  Soon two toms were coming down the fence line.   They looked at the decoy and one of them displayed and started strutting while the other just walked in front of him towards the hen.  Normally one would shoot the larger of the birds based on beard length but neither one of these were dominant toms and I guessed the best bird had a 6" beard and the other a bit shorter.  Given the weather and the mud it seemed best to take one of them and I did.  30 foot shot.  Took the smaller of the two as last year I took a big tom and it ate about like a pair of rubber boots.  This bird should be much better table fare.  His wing tips were not wore down much so he hadn't been drumming or strutting a lot.  I think I saw these birds a week or so ago when watching a group of five toms across the river and three of them were big ones.  The total time today from placing the decoy to pulling a trigger was less than ten minutes.  Sometimes you just get lucky.

The picture is at the farm we live on as I left the camera home being somewhat pessimistic about today's chances.

This is the group of five toms and a few hens taken a week ago from about 400 yards away.  I enlarged it and the quality is poor.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
Re: Gobbler
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 09:13:27 AM »
I've never been turkey hunting.  I think I could find them whether in FL or NC.  I see enough on hikes.  I gotta try this.  I guess my 870 will work?
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 09:55:46 AM »
Congrats, Stan.  nice bird!

Max, your 870 will work just fine.  I've recently seen reports of folks taking turkey with a .410.  Even have specific turkey loads for'em.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 10:09:12 AM »
Thanks Nuke.

Max, as Nuke says, the 870 is a great turkey gun.  I still have one that was my only shotgun for a long time. I shoot number 5 shot in whatever shotgun I am using.  I have taken them with everything now from 28 ga. to 12 ga. and with a 20 ga. flintlock.   

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 11:57:43 AM »
    I used to hate just sitting waiting.  I was a stalker.  The good kind. lol.  But I bought trees stands last year and I don't mind so much sitting quietly in the woods.  I'm doing much better physically this year but I think calling in turkey would be fun.

Mannlicher and I were camping one time last year and all of the sudden turkeys were gobbling all around us.  It was turkey season.  And there we sat with a half a dozen handguns and no long guns.  lol.  C'est la vie.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 04:15:19 PM »
LOL.  When I started hunting turkeys I had a bad case of "no sit long" and truly believed I could sneak up on one.  It took me three or four years to learn to sit and not look around except very slowly and to never get up and move unless you had not made a call in the last thirty minutes.  One time I yelped while on a high ridge and then, not hearing a gobble, I moved on down one side and was crossing the bottom when furious gobbling started and I sat down and saw a turkey standing within twenty feet of where I had been sitting and he just gobbled his head off.  From then on I just sat.  Over the last forty years or so I have learned to just have a lot of patience and listen. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 01:23:47 PM »
that is a nice bird for sure.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 06:29:55 PM »
Congrats Stan, nice Bird. Glad it work out for you.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 08:13:12 PM »
Thank you.  Appreciate the comment.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 08:33:42 AM »
Great hunting story, Stan!  :thumbsup:      Almost a word for word print version of the account that I heard the night before on the telephone!  ;D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 01:27:19 PM »
It is a good thing I took that bird, it is snowing and raining and the wind is sending dirt to your neck of the woods Craig.  I hope Spring isn't gone yet. 
(Mark Twain)