Author Topic: Kindle  (Read 3785 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Kindle
« on: April 28, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
I'm breaking down.  I used to HATE electronics in the bush.  But I use my phone to navigate sometimes in the truck now.  I'm looking into solar to recharge when we're "out there".  At Rendezvous this year,  I called Kelly a few times because 10 days is a long time for us to be apart.  They even had a recharging station hidden behind a tall fence.  Since we bought the Subaru, we cringe at taking the truck long distant because of the cost of gas.  I'm a reader.  I have trouble fitting my books and mags in the Subaru for a 3 day camping trip much less all summer.  So I'm breaking down.  I'm buying a Kindle.

Lotsa reasons to.  I think the Newer Kindle Paperwhite that's waterproof is the one I want.  But I don't know of if I need 8G or 32G.  Why wouldn't I want 32G?  Are there cons to this choice?

Thanks for any input you might have.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Kindle
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 06:53:27 AM »
I ordered the Kindle waterproof Paperweight.  Upgraded to 32G and added on the 120v adapter.

Now I'm looking at solar that can recharge it and our phones so we don't have to hear that damn gennie all summer.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 02:33:05 PM »
Received my Kindle today.  Got her programmed or booted up or however they say it.  It's a good size.  Easy to read and operate.  I got a free book and I'm reading it now.  I should have just gone ahead and got the screen protector and some kind of case.  But I thought they were overpriced.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 05:16:32 PM »
Cindie reads on her kindle everyday. I have one as well but don't read on it much anymore. Having Amazon Prime and their free books is a plus.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 06:12:04 PM »
Hummmnn.....idunno. :coffee:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 01:20:41 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201755180

Nifty little device. Wadda ya mean someone can use it to order things on my amazon account? Gotta keep my serial number handy so it can be deactivated?

I'm out in the sticks  when I notice it missing and it'll be three days before I get cell service. And some thief is cozied up with my kindle back at the lodge?

Crap! I never had that problem with a Louis L'amour  novel.  :shrug:

Just kidding Max, thought I'd give you a heads up in case you weren't aware of how capable Kindles are.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 05:01:47 AM »
Spyder,  I don't think I'll be using it much on our Krac camps.  There's always something going on and a conversation to butt into.  Lol.  I like sitting out back of the house with Kelly and reading.  That'll work well.  The mountains are another place I get comfy outside and listen to the birds.  Another good place to use it.  And last but not least the dreaded words every husband rolls his eyes at, "Hey,  pull in here.  I'll be quick."  Break out the Kindle.

I know wolfy.  I resisted for a coupla years.  There are books I'll never get rid of.  2 Audubon XL bird books with colored illustrations.  Dead presidents' biographies.  Things like that.

Thanks for the heads up Pete.  I'll have to copy the serial number down.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 01:07:58 PM »
Just found out you can share and borrow books on a Kindle.  I'm on my 2nd book.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 02:25:04 PM »
Our local Carnegie Library offers free books on Kindles that they have for loan.  I tried one once and did not care for it all that much, BUT I am willing to give them a second chance.  I can see where they would be very useful in situations where the book is voluminous and difficult to hold for extended reading periods.  For instance, I have several pretty expensive larger volumes that I sometimes avoid picking up to find an answer or passage just because they have to be read lying flat on a table, so reading these beasts while basking in the comfort of my recliner is not an option.  A Kindle may be my salvation in those instances. :coffee: :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 03:23:31 PM »
Well stop laying flat on the table and just pull up a chair.  It will make it a lot easier to read those large volumes. 

Kindle should be a great thing if you don't mind not having a book.  An acquaintance travels on business a lot.  Flights to Europe.  She uses her ebook a lot and it allows her to have several with her.  She is frequently in Europe for a month at a time and says it is a useful thing to have along.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 03:38:32 PM »
Lol.  Another plus is you can read in bed or bag much easier.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 03:48:40 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Stan.  I will give it a try. :rolleyes: :lol: