Author Topic: KNUCKLEHEADS  (Read 261 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
KNUCKLEHEADS
« on: April 30, 2019, 10:27:19 AM »
Not the old Harley-Davidson version, but the amazing Kolb Brothers in the Grand Canyon. :hail:

https://truewestmagazine.com/knuckleheads/
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: KNUCKLEHEADS
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 11:34:45 AM »
Yeah they were characters lol.  If you haven't visited the south rim,  wolfy,  When you go don't miss their studio.  Lotsa history there.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »
Good post Wolfy.  I confess to having forgot all about these guys for some reason.  I ran across some of their photos when reading about the canyon years ago.  These two were pretty astounding with what they accomplished. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
Well, Tony, we have not made it to the South Rim yet, the heat kept us at bay and we did not get all the way there on our last foray to the Southwest.  Now that we are able to go when & where we desire, completing the originally planned trip looks more promising.

Thanks for the heads up on the museum! :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 03:05:02 PM »
wolfy,  you got me fantasizing about a train trip to the GC.  It takes about 3 1/2 days to get there from FL.  Eat, drink and watch the scenery go by.  Stay at the old historic Monte Verde Hotel in Flagstaff and another night on the south rim. Take the shuttles to each point of interest (They run every 15 mins so you don't get stuck in one spot too long.)  Go down and scare ourselves on the Grand Canyon Sky walk before flying up to Canada and take that train aaaaaaall the way east. Maybe the canola fields will be in blossom.  That's a sight to see.  Then Niagra Falls in a Honeymoon suite. Rental car to Bar Harbor.  Train from Portland to Washington and do all the Smithsonian Museums right.  Then home.

oops got carried away.  lol
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 10:31:28 AM »
Great article! Thanks for the share, wolfy. I wanna read the book.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)