Author Topic: FREAK ACCIDENT  (Read 713 times)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
FREAK ACCIDENT
« on: May 08, 2019, 01:49:57 PM »
I couldn't think of any other way to describe it other than a 'freak accident,' but I have been going out for daily motorcycle rides if the weather cooperates.....whic h ain't much, lately.  Yesterday afternoon it was 57 degrees and partly cloudy, so I put on my best windproof riding duds, leather gloves, 3/4 helmet and Harbor Freight safety glasses, kissed Heather good-bye and headed for the local state park.  It's time for the morels to start popping up, so I took a net onion bag along just in case.....only found 3, but it's still early. :-\

As I went past the Missouri River Recreation & River Resource Education Center at Ponca State Park, I noticed a trio of out-of-town school busses and a lot of high school age young people attending a fishing clinic on the west lawn right by the main park road.  I rode past the crowd at a little under 15 mph, making eye-contact with them and waving back to several that waved to me as I putted past.  One girl, who had a fishing rod in her hand and was standing closest to the road and about 25 feet away from me, suddenly whipped her rod back to 2 o'clock and cast a practice plug directly at me! :shocked:   The plug crossed my line of sight between my extremely handsome countenance and the windshield and the monofilament (probably 6# test) put a pretty significant gash across the bridge of my nose before breaking.  I bled like a stuck hog until I pulled out my handkerchief to stem the blood flow.  If it had been an accident on her part, I wouldn't have thought much of it, BUT she was watching me, made eye-contact and DELIBERATELY cast that plug directly at ME!  I was PISSED, so I let the park employee that was conducting the clinic know what she did and it was NO accident. :pissed:      Maybe Moe was right. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: FREAK ACCIDENT
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 03:15:26 PM »
Man that sucks.  I've had them jump out in the road in front of me at a school bus stop taunting me.  Sadly I'll never be a scout leader, camp counselor, coach, or go back to teaching.  I want to enjoy my retirement and not get bogged down in some of these kids' crappy upbringing that leads to all sorts of problems for adults who are trying to help them.

Get well, wolfy.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 03:18:00 PM »
Did this scum come over and apologize, weep that she was sorry, offer to pay for the damage to your handsome countenance, and tell you it was her biggest catch of the day.

I would have called the police and she should be charged with assault.

Seriously she should face charges for that.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »
She slunk away into the crowd trying to go unnoticed and no apology was offered.....I was not a bit surprised. :rolleyes:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »
We had an 11, 12, and 17 year old beat up a 75 year old man just for fun. I don't know fr for sure where the lack of respect comes from. I surely believe the fact that you can't beat their ass anymore has a lot to do with it.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 04:46:49 PM »
We had an 11, 12, and 17 year old beat up a 75 year old man just for fun. I don't know fr for sure where the lack of respect comes from. I surely believe the fact that you can't beat their ass anymore has a lot to do with it.

Man that just gets me red under the collar.  Punk ass cowards.  Pack mentality.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 06:17:06 PM »
Well, Wolfy, you're going to need to come up with a better story to go with that new scar across your nose.  I mean, "A punk kid did it with a fishing line," is kinda lame.
You have all the elements: girl, fishing trip, motorcycle....  You know how to put a spin on a good yarn...  ;)
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »
I need to ruminate on this incident........mor e later. :coffee:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 05:20:18 AM »
I don't think I would have been so polite in that situation.  The police would have been involved for sure.  The only question would be if it was for her or the way in which I let her know of her unacceptable behavior.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:47:11 PM by crashdive123 »

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 08:55:09 AM »
In retrospect, I should probably have handled this incident differently than I did, but at the time & for a couple of reasons, I didn't.  For one thing, I couldn't positively identify the 'perp' if I had to pick her out of a police lineup. :shrug: :lol:       Another thing, it would have ruined what little time I had available for my bike ride/mushroom hunt.  The group was from Sergeant Bluff, IOWA and I didn't want to start a border skirmish, but I did have a perfect opportunity to report it to the Sergeant Bluff PD when, later on in my tour of the park, I saw two Sergeant Bluff police cruisers and deputies teaching a class on firearm safety at the state park's shooting range.  I guess I screwed up. :shrug: :P

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 02:21:00 PM »
 That's the main reason I sold my bike and quit riding, there's some weird people in this world that think that scaring or hurting others is great fun, it's bad enough when walking or driving your car, but down right dangerous when on a motorcycle especially when you have a loved one riding behind you.
 You don't have to live in bad areas either, I stay away from cities and years LE has taught me to practice situational awareness, but 'they' are everywhere today, I've had people come at me on the road chicken style, had a car full of kids come up beside my bike on the highway and put me in the breakdown lane intentionally,  had others pass me and cut back into my lane just feet in front of me just for fun.
 About a half dozen of those incidents were enough to convince me that as much as I enjoyed my bike it just wasn't worth risking my or my wife's life on, I still miss it once in a while especially in the early fall, but it passes.
 It's too bad, but it's the world that we live in today, fighting it doesn't stop it from happening, about all you can do is adapt and overcome.
 I hope your nose heals up quick, you'll probably have a scare,  make up a good story and wear it proudly.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 02:48:24 PM »
Yeah.  Everybody that rides or rode has a story.  Mine culminated in 3 months in the hospital, 3 months at home using a bed pan, and 6 months learning to walk without a limp.  I got hit by a teen in a POS truck who was learning to drive by her deaf and dumb grandfather.  Yeah, they didn't have insurance... or a license to drive.  Sounds like a bad joke huh?  So I promised my wife, MIL, and SIL's no more motorcycles.  One of the few promises I've managed to keep.

My favorite rides were out west through the desert.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 04:40:07 PM »
Well I guess you can just stay in the house and avoid everything.  So far, knock on wood, I have only had a couple of unintentional dumb asses turn left in front of me and only one asswipe has tried to run me off the road with a flatbed semi who thought it would be cute to see how close he could put the side of the trailer to me when I let him pass.  l won't quit riding but I do watch things as close as I can. If what happened to Tony occured I might change my  mind.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 06:39:03 PM »
I started riding my Sr. year in high school.  After graduation I went to work 47 miles from my house.  Just about 100 miles round trip per day for 15 months.  That provided me with enough hair-raising close-call stories to last a few decades.  I still have my MC endorsement on my license, just in case I ever buy a Can-Am, but I gave up on my 2-wheelers when my Norton fell over on me in a parking lot and it took two young fellas half my age to lift it off me.  :-\
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »
My barber, who is 76, rides a Vulcan and a Harley Springer.  He cannot pick up either one anymore but is looking for a trike now.

There is no more enjoyable motor vehicle experience for me than a fast motorcycle and a twisty road.  I hope to do them till I am ashes in a urn. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 09:33:03 PM »
My barber, who is 76, rides a Vulcan and a Harley Springer.  He cannot pick up either one anymore but is looking for a trike now.

There is no more enjoyable motor vehicle experience for me than a fast motorcycle and a twisty road.  I hope to do them till I am ashes in a urn.
A friend of mine, one of the first 2 people we met when we move here, parked his Harley under a deer in route to his 50th Rally at Sturgis a couple years ago. He was 85.  R.I.P.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 09:18:27 AM »
I can think of a lot worse ways to go than on the back of a bike.....at least I'll go with a smile on my face and bugs in my teeth. :)     I tipped the Vulcan over the first day I tried to ride it when I accidentally hit the heel-shifter when I was leaving the driveway.....it lurched, coughed and died.  Heather was watching from the front porch and helped me get it back upright.....very impressive, but no damage to me or the bike. 

I've found that riding is my escape from all my worldly woes and I ride every chance I get.....daily, if weather permits.  We put 13,000 miles on two motorcycles last season.....5000 on our new 2018 H-D TriGlide Ultra and 8000 on my 2009 Kawasaki 900 Classic LT.    Heather is not comfortable on two wheels, but she LOVES the trike, so that's what we go touring on.  We pray for another safe year of riding and, at 71 years of age, keep on until I can't swing my leg over over the seat anymore.....or my skills begin to suffer. :-\       A young girl with superb casting skills & poor judgement certainly isn't gonna be the reason I hang up the helmet!  8)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 10:17:47 AM »
A coupla summers ago we were in a room next to a coupla senior bikers.  Their trikes were immaculate.  Their leathers worn.  The grey beards were really enjoying their tour of the Southern Apps.  Good conversation.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 10:35:16 AM »
Well I guess you can just stay in the house and avoid everything.  So far, knock on wood, I have only had a couple of unintentional dumb asses turn left in front of me and only one asswipe has tried to run me off the road with a flatbed semi who thought it would be cute to see how close he could put the side of the trailer to me when I let him pass.  l won't quit riding but I do watch things as close as I can. If what happened to Tony occured I might change my  mind.

Well I certainly don't stay in the house and avoid everything Stan,   there are excellent alternatives to riding a motorcycle to have fun, and like the song suggests "I may not be as good as I once was, but I just as good once as I ever was",  standing on my own two feet or behind the wheel I can still hold my own against a wise a$$ punk, I may not win, but they'll know they tangled with something they ought not to.
 All that said,  I'd rather avoid unnecessary injuries if I can help it, old bones don't heal like young ones do
so I avoid confrontations with trouble when ever I can, that's not giving up or showing yellow, it's just using the wisdom that the years have endowed me with.     (Grin)

* Had an old friend run off the road on his bike a couple of years ago,  investigators never did find out what happened, but the little evidence on scene suggest he was run off the road intentionally,  he was upward of our age and never owned anything but a motorcycle to get around with, he even drove it in the winter time as long as there was no ice on the roads.
  When a passer by on his way to work found him his bike was laid over on the shoulder of the road and Steve was hunched over a wire fence bordering a pasture, he'd been almost cut in half at the waist and bled out still hooked to the fence wire.
 Personally I'd rather be hunting, fishing, or shooting clays than becoming the victim of someone's road rage or perverted idea of fun. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 06:26:36 PM »
To each, his own.....I guess. :shrug:   

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 09:50:51 PM »
Geez, wolfy. I missed this one. Sorry to hear it happened. Hope it's healed up.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)