Author Topic: "Back of Beyond" A Kephart Bio.  (Read 436 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: "Back of Beyond" A Kephart Bio.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 12:48:01 PM »
Thanks for posting this Tony.  It is on my list now, too.   :cheers:

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »
I'll read that one for sure, but $8.75 for shipping is over half the price of the book. :-\    I'm going to see if I can get it cheaper elsewhere or get it through the library. 

Thanks for the heads up, Tony. :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »
I think on these new releases I don't think I save any money on the book on my Kindle.  If I have to buy a hard copy, I'll do a pass around. 

I might do that anyway and get George Ellison to sign it for me.  He's in Bryson City, NC.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 04:56:35 PM »
If you end up having to buy the hard copy and you decide to do a pass-around, I'd pay the postage for a chance to read it.  O:-)    Stan should get it first, since he beat me to the thread....then he could send it to me to read.  USPS book-rate is still pretty reasonable......I recall that we took advantage of it on that navigation book when we did that pass-around a few years ago.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 05:16:44 PM »
Georges wife is an artist (watercolor) with a studio in Bryson City.  I'll see if I can swing something there.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 09:30:04 PM »
I just ordered a copy. I'll read it on my upcoming family cruise.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 04:36:32 AM »
It's great to see interest in this flawed man.  His descendants and local historians in and around Bryson City keep his memory very much alive.  I hope to be able to make this...

http://www.horacekephart.com/biography-release-party.html

...this summer.

I might be able to get both authors' signatures in our books.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 06:35:19 AM by madmax »
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »
Should be a good read for his fans :)...never been a big Kepart fan myself :P, though i know many folks hold him in high esteem :shrug:...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »
Should be a good read for his fans :)...never been a big Kepart fan myself :P, though i know many folks hold him in high esteem :shrug:...woods

I enjoyed Kephart's books  because he gets into the culture of the highlanders.  Their isolation kept them pretty much as they were a hundred years earlier.  Their living skills and speech are noteworthy.  The explanation of their cultural, political, and economic issues were interesting.  My ancestors lived in north central North Carolina and before that in SE Virginia so I have some interest in their lifestyle.  Kephart is good at setting it forth.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 04:38:20 PM »

NOT a fan of good ol' Horace? :shrug:    BLASPHEMY! :duel: :lol:

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 05:14:14 PM »
More and more, I like reading books on Kindle

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 09:23:06 AM »
More and more, I like reading books on Kindle

As I find new applications for it I'm beginning to like it too.  I have a fear that I'll get a library full of good books then the damn thing will break.  Anything you use digital, gigabytes, or computer to describe it I can break.  Then there goes my library.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 06:42:21 AM »
Kindle books are stored at their website, so you can?t lose them

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 08:40:21 AM »

I tend to agree with you Dave,  I've got quite a few books penned by the "old timers" and a few from some of the more contemporary outdoor notables like Mors Kochanski and find them interesting in that some of there equipment and methods are still viable today, however more modern gear and newer technology kind of makes most of their writings obsolete. 
 Also, much of the trekking, hunting, trapping, and woodcutting practiced by GW Searles and Kephart would be illegal in many if not most jurisdictions and on public lands today, they are to be respected for what they accomplished in their time, but much of it has little practical application to wilderness wandering today, in my opinion that is.     
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.