Author Topic: AT Stabbing?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
AT Stabbing?
« on: May 13, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »
I've been following a bunch of AT thru hikers. I've been gearing up for a thru hike of the ADK'S. This is just another good example of wolfy's post on freak accident. The FBI is now involved, a little too late. I think we should be more apt to settle things right away to suspend any chance of a follow up. Self defense folks, is legal.
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-appalachian-trail-hikers-machete-attack-20190512-2nie4cnd2bg7pow7x36xaocixq-story.html
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: AT Stabbing?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 11:03:01 AM »
Once again, the 'perp' had been under the scrutiny of law enforcement for weird behavior and being a threat to others, BUT he was still out there.  Seems like there are more of these weirdos committing these atrocities than ever these days.....and yet, there are those out there that want to take away our 2nd Amendment rights! :coffee: :shrug:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:22:44 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:45:35 AM »
We were in WNC about 5 miles from an AT trail head when Eric Rudolph was hiding out in the area.  The word among the locals was he was in some sympathetic friend basement eating chicken and watching TV.  Turns out he was eating out of dumpsters in a town on the western side of the Apps.  There were motels that were never filled,  filled with people who drove "inconspicuous" vehicles.  Everybody in the county knew they were government.  At night there was  unending noise from heli's searching for him.

That was different.  Rudolph didn't want to be seen and had training.  This latest nut sounds psycho.  He had to know they had him on their radar and didn't care.

There are folks that live along the AT that out of the kindness of their heart give away some fresh food to the thru hikers.  They call them Trail Angels.  There are many more of them than violent nuts.

Having said that,  FL has reciprocity with NC.  And that's nice for us.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 12:07:29 PM »
I saw this on the internet news feed.  The guy was well known to Law Enforcement and other hikers for his threats and assaults.  Here is a review of what went on of late.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/13/james-jordan-arrested-in-deadly-machete-attack-on-appalachian-trail/

The previous "victims" refused to file charges or testify at a trial.  Hope they live with this a long time.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 12:54:40 PM »
What galls me is that most states in the country have either passed or are contemplating passing Red Flag Laws that allow police to enter a persons home and confiscate his weapons without due process just on the word of a family member, friend, neighbor, or employer who says they think he or she might be a threat to themselves or others, and owns firearms.
Yet, clearly mentally ill individuals are allowed to run free and not hampered unless they actually commit some violent act, WTF. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »
BAN MACHETES!  BOYCOTT BACKPACKING!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 01:16:22 PM »
I've been following a bunch of AT thru hikers. I've been gearing up for a thru hike of the ADK'S. This is just another good example of wolfy's post on freak accident. The FBI is now involved, a little too late. I think we should be more apt to settle things right away to suspend any chance of a follow up. Self defense folks, is legal.
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-appalachian-trail-hikers-machete-attack-20190512-2nie4cnd2bg7pow7x36xaocixq-story.html

I hate to burst your bubble xj35, but no, Self Defense is no longer legal in many parts of the country,  in most jurisdictions if you defend yourself with a weapon especially with a firearm or sharp thing, you're going to be arrested and charged, and until such time as the charges are dropped or a no true bill is handed down by a Grand Jury you will be paying through the nose for your defense.
 But it doesn't end there, the chances are good that the perp that you were forced to defend yourself against or his/her family if he dies or is disabled is going to sue you in civil court for violating his/her civil rights or for any injuries your defense may have caused him/her, and then they'll want to get paid for the mental stress they suffered at your hands.
 There is a bright side though, if you end up getting killed or maimed the perp will be given a public defender at tax payer (that's you) expense, they'll say he is a product of an unjust society, was abused as a child, or has a screw loose, he'll probably be found not guilty on the grounds of Mental defect, sent for 30 days observation, given probation or community service (which he/she won't serve) and be released into society free to do it again to someone else, maybe you or me, and since he/she is probably broke, on welfare, or homeless  they be given a clean dry warm place to stay, good food and maybe a TV set and free library to keep them occupied and it won't cost them a dime out of pocket. 

Welcome to the new Progressive America. 

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
one the govt can't keep everyone safe nor shhould they try to keep everyone safe personal responsibility
is what needs to be done. red flag laws are nothing more than and end run around around the 2nd amendment.
i don't care       if others disagree that's my two cents on the matter.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 02:20:26 PM »

I hate to burst your bubble xj35, but no, Self Defense is no longer legal in many parts of the country,  in most jurisdictions if you defend yourself with a weapon especially with a firearm or sharp thing, you're going to be arrested and charged, and until such time as the charges are dropped or a no true bill is handed down by a Grand Jury you will be paying through the nose for your defense.
 But it doesn't end there, the chances are good that the perp that you were forced to defend yourself against or his/her family if he dies or is disabled is going to sue you in civil court for violating his/her civil rights or for any injuries your defense may have caused him/her, and then they'll want to get paid for the mental stress they suffered at your hands.
 There is a bright side though, if you end up getting killed or maimed the perp will be given a public defender at tax payer (that's you) expense, they'll say he is a product of an unjust society, was abused as a child, or has a screw loose, he'll probably be found not guilty on the grounds of Mental defect, sent for 30 days observation, given probation or community service (which he/she won't serve) and be released into society free to do it again to someone else, maybe you or me, and since he/she is probably broke, on welfare, or homeless  they be given a clean dry warm place to stay, good food and maybe a TV set and free library to keep them occupied and it won't cost them a dime out of pocket. 

Welcome to the new Progressive America.

Cynical...but true.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 02:39:08 PM »
Geez Moe.  I feel like somebody pissed on my fire.

lol

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 03:54:35 PM »
one the govt can't keep everyone safe nor shhould they try to keep everyone safe personal responsibility
is what needs to be done. red flag laws are nothing more than and end run around around the 2nd amendment.
i don't care       if others disagree that's my two cents on the matter.

I don't disagree with you Bud,  but a lot of people today either get confused about the way things should be instead of the way they really are, or they're just too scared to face that they've lost control of their country,
 A government of the people by the people is what the Founders created and the Constitution's stern limits on the central government make that clear,  the problem started before the ink on that precious document was dry when congress began assuming powers that the Constitution didn't bestow on them and making laws that the Constitution didn't give them authority to create.
 The People back then had an excuse, there was little to no flow of information on which the people could gain the knowledge of what their elected officials were doing in their name so they did nothing to put them in their place.
 We The People today don't have that excuse, we have all sorts of commercial, private, and social media to keep us up to date right to the minute in real time that puts the information out there for all of us to see, well, we complain, we get angry, we call them crooks and bastages, we let them know by phone, by e-mail, and on twitter and face book, and when they ignore us We The People do NOTHING, we let them get away with all the $hit they want to and more, SHAME ON US.
 Back after the war to end all wars when the veterans didn't get the benefits they were promised they didn't sit on their asses and Bittch,  they put on their uniforms, shouldered their old Springfield rifles and marched on Washington, they got their benefits PDQ.
 It's going to be interesting to see what We The People do when the government (State and Federal) at some point not too far down the road just suspends or revokes the Second amendment or gets the Supremes to overturn Heller and declare the Second amendment as a right owned by the government as it applies to The Militia which is now the National Guard and was Federalized in the late 1900's.
 I'm betting that there'll be a lot of hand wringing, complaining, and crying foul, but not much else, everyone will be too busy turning in their guns with tears in their eyes, and that will be the end of this great experiment.   
 When the Continental Congress came out of committee with it's newly created government Ben Franklin was asked "What kind of government have you given us sir", Franklin's reply was "Why a Republic, if you can keep it", he warned us and we didn't keep it.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 03:58:32 PM »
So do I Tony.  Moe is right though, although the jurisdiction you are in can be okay or not a civil suit is almost a certainty to follow.  Wrongful death lawyers are standing by to bankrupt you on behalf of the dirt bag who attacked you.  If you shoot a person with special defense ammo they will use that against you.  They have doctors that will testify that if you had used a round nose lead bullet they could have saved him but the ultra hot fragmentation design you did him in with was not warranted and caused the perps demise.

I believe, but am, not sure, that some States castle doctrines will prevent lawsuits but it would be good to know before hand.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 04:34:25 PM »
Geez Moe.  I feel like somebody pissed on my fire.

lol

Sorry Tony,  but face it, the Constitution was purposely written so that the lowest educated person in society could understand it's meaning and know their rights.

The first Amendment guarantees freedom of speech yet it is censored in schools, the press, the streets, on face book, twitter, and u-tube.
 The freedom of religion and the free exercise of such, yet crosses are being taken out of grave yards, off of buildings, and away from veterans memorials.
 Try putting up a Christmas Tree or Nativity scene in a public square or town common and see what happens.
 How about silent morning prayer in schools today.

The Second amendment could not be made more clear,  "The Right of The People to Keep and Bare Arms Shall Not Be Infringed",  There's over 25,000 infringements on the books now and it's growing.

I could go down the list one by one but you all know how your Constitution and your Rights have been (to use your words) Pissed On.

Last year at a Walmart Store in the next town over from mine a man was standing in line at the checkout counter, he was holding on to his eight year old sons hand when he heard the boy yell and felt him draw  back, the father turned just in time to see a man standing behind him groping his son's privates, he pulled his boy out of the way and clocked the perv breaking his nose.
 The cops were called by the check out clerk, they took statements from everyone around and arrested the perv, the next day the story hit the papers and our state DA had the man turned loose with a court date and had the father arrested for aggravated assault and battery with injuries resulting, a felony punishable by up to five years in the state house of corrections, she made a statement saying that the State will not tolerate citizens taking the law into their own hands, no matter what the cause or circumstance, that's what the police are there for.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 09:28:18 PM »
In "gun-free" national parks, the predator knew his victims would most likely be unarmed.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 09:29:32 PM »

Last year at a Walmart Store in the next town over from mine a man was standing in line at the checkout counter, he was holding on to his eight year old sons hand when he heard the boy yell and felt him draw  back, the father turned just in time to see a man standing behind him groping his son's privates, he pulled his boy out of the way and clocked the perv breaking his nose.
 The cops were called by the check out clerk, they took statements from everyone around and arrested the perv, the next day the story hit the papers and our state DA had the man turned loose with a court date and had the father arrested for aggravated assault and battery with injuries resulting, a felony punishable by up to five years in the state house of corrections, she made a statement saying that the State will not tolerate citizens taking the law into their own hands, no matter what the cause or circumstance, that's what the police are there for.

These are the types of judges the current Administration is working hard to kick off the bench.

As of May 13, 2019, the United States Senate has confirmed 104 Article III judges nominated by President Trump, including 2 Associate Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States, 39 judges for the United States Courts of Appeals, 63 judges for the United States District Courts, and 0 judges for the United States Court of International Trade.[2] There are currently 59 nominations to Article III courts awaiting Senate action, including 4 for the Courts of Appeals, 53 for the District Courts, and 2 for the Court of International Trade.[3] There are currently 6 vacancies on the U.S. Courts of Appeals, 123 vacancies on the U.S. District Courts, 4 vacancies on the U.S. Court of International Trade,[3] and 14 announced federal judicial vacancies that will occur before the end of Trump's first term (2 for the Courts of Appeals and 12 for District Courts).[4] Trump has not made any recess appointments to the federal courts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_judges_appointed_by_Donald_Trump
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 09:44:34 PM »

These are the types of judges the current Administration is working hard to kick off the bench.

As of May 13, 2019, the United States Senate has confirmed 104 Article III judges nominated by President Trump, including 2 Associate Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States, 39 judges for the United States Courts of Appeals, 63 judges for the United States District Courts, and 0 judges for the United States Court of International Trade.[2] There are currently 59 nominations to Article III courts awaiting Senate action, including 4 for the Courts of Appeals, 53 for the District Courts, and 2 for the Court of International Trade.[3] There are currently 6 vacancies on the U.S. Courts of Appeals, 123 vacancies on the U.S. District Courts, 4 vacancies on the U.S. Court of International Trade,[3] and 14 announced federal judicial vacancies that will occur before the end of Trump's first term (2 for the Courts of Appeals and 12 for District Courts).[4] Trump has not made any recess appointments to the federal courts.

Several appointments to the famed Ninth Circus Court of Appeals and more pending ,,, sorry, meant Ninth Circuit  ;)
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 06:48:29 AM »

It wasn't the judge OP,  it was the District Attorney who freed the pervert, had the father arrested, and made the statement, Our state AG in the last year has banned a bunch more guns in the state without going through the legislature by following the lead of the last AG who found an obscure early 1900's interstate commerce law and used it as a basis for the original bans.
 Now our new AG has put out a press release that the AG and DA's office will no longer prosecute low level crimes such as B&E, criminal trespass, shop lifting, drug use, low level drug dealing, and minor assaults on citizens, but it will aggressively prosecute discrimination towards undocumented immigrants, the homeless, as well as any violations of the states gun laws, or acts of unreasonable force or violence by police or citizens while acting in their own self defense.

My point again is that just because We The People have rights doesn't mean that the powers that be can't stop us from enjoying them, they most certainly can and do every day in this country,  the shame is that we can easily do something about bringing back sanity in this country and real Constitutional law but in my opinion We The People are too busy and too spoiled enjoying the good life that those that went before us have provided that their Constitutional rights are not a high priority in their lives,  freedom and liberty are taking a back seat to the promise of free health care, free schooling, eliminating college loans, and everything else free that is being offered for this country's fall into government run socialism.
 And part of the price that we are going to have to pay is our personal individual rights like the Second amendment and the right to defend ourselves and those we hold dear, it's already started, might even be too late.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 07:42:08 AM »
I just ordered more ammo.

3%

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 07:43:09 AM »
Moe, everybody has a boss, and eventually that "boss" is an elected official. If the "boss" won't reign 'em in, then vote out the boss.  We have the power, if we aren't too chicken/stupid to use it.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 12:11:30 AM »
Moe, everybody has a boss, and eventually that "boss" is an elected official. If the "boss" won't reign 'em in, then vote out the boss.  We have the power, if we aren't too chicken/stupid to use it.

The trouble as I see it OP is that we appear to be at the break even point numbers wise, and that's scary when you think about that for a minute,  this country has always had it's radical political groups, but there was always a much larger segment of our society that were the voice of reason.
 Yes, we argued about social issues, abortion, gun control, and minimum wage, but we all agreed that this was the greatest country in the world, we had national pride, respected the Constitution, and in times of war or other threat we came together as a people to defend our freedoms and our way of life, that glue that held us together,  that love of country that made us so strong is no longer alive in at least half of our people. 
 I remember when GW was campaigning for his first term,  the left was trying to get away from the Liberal label, it sounded too far left, in it's place they called themselves Progressives, it somehow  sounded smarter and cleaner.
 Today they've grown so bold that they don't even try to hide behind a curtain of red, white, and blue, they come right out and admit what they are Socialist/Communist  and what their agenda is,  they plan to erase the Constitution and The Bill  of Rights, disarm the citizenry, the government take over of business and commerce, the banks, and want to raise taxes on all businesses and the wealthy at the rate of 70~90%, in essence killing capitalism and the economic machine that has made this the richest and most economically stable country in the world, a place where people who live on welfare live a better lifestyle than the middle class do in many other parts of the world.
 And, there is no lie they won't tell, no dirty trick they won't play,  no innocent they won't ruin, no law they won't break to get what they want,  and still, half the country is voting them into office, I use to think that the radical dumocrats would get to the point where the American people would see them for what they really are, power hungry brain damaged enemies of the state and the biggest criminal enterprise in this country since the Mafia, but nope, they seem to have more support today than they ever have.     

Sorry for the derail, I guess I got carried away. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 10:29:03 PM »
... The trouble as I see it OP is that we appear to be at the break even point numbers wise, and that's scary when you think about that for a minute,  this country has always had it's radical political groups, but there was always a much larger segment of our society that were the voice of reason....
....that love of country that made us so strong is no longer alive in at least half of our people. 
... And, there is no lie they won't tell, no dirty trick they won't play,  no innocent they won't ruin, no law they won't break to get what they want,  and still, half the country is voting them into office, I use to think that the radical dumocrats would get to the point where the American people would see them for what they really are, power hungry brain damaged enemies of the state and the biggest criminal enterprise in this country since the Mafia, but nope, they seem to have more support today than they ever have.     

Sorry for the derail, I guess I got carried away.
A National Voter ID Law will eliminate a lot of that "50 percent" you're seeing at the polls, Moe.

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 04:42:51 PM »
if citizens are no longer able to defend themselves from attack regardless of the law when people can be jailed for self defense
regardless of the method used to defend oneself then we are not a free people. period

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 06:07:46 AM »
if citizens are no longer able to defend themselves from attack regardless of the law when people can be jailed for self defense
regardless of the method used to defend oneself then we are not a free people. period

We quit being a free people a long time ago about the same time we started depending on government for "free" stuff.
  When government mandated income taxes and private property taxes.
  When government created the IRS.
  When government created the BATF.
  When government created Eminent Domain with which to steal your private property.
  When government created warrantless searches and seizures.
  When government created the all powerful Dept. of Homeland Security.
  When government seized control of all Public Land and Water Rights.
  When government through the Supreme Court gave individual states the right to infringe on the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
  When government deemed it legal to seize the property of it's citizens for unpaid taxes, when it's convenient, or when it becomes profitable for the government.
  When government deemed it legal (as opposed to Constitutional) to spy by all manner on it's citizens.
  When------------------
  When------------------
  When------------------

The list is too long to go on,  and We The People allowed it to happen, and still do.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:13:33 AM by Moe M. »

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2019, 07:15:33 AM »
Well Moe, if you weren't on a list, now you are.  Lol.  We'll just move over a little.  Plenty of room.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2019, 08:14:49 AM »
Well Moe, if you weren't on a list, now you are.  Lol.  We'll just move over a little.  Plenty of room.

LOL, don't trouble yourself,  I'm sure I've been on most of them since I applied for my first LTC and my former FFL, not to mention being an NRA member and registered republican, any one of those puts a red flag beside your name.
  I consider it a badge of honor, and puts me in good company.   

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2019, 08:20:22 AM »
Amen!
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
Here it comes, Moe, get ready.....

I FULLY AGREE WITH YOU! :shocked: :cheers: :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 12:44:12 PM »
we as a people have been sold out all is left is the
ammo box. the very idea that we as a people
still have any choice is fantasy at best.
both parties are just 2 criminals of the same coin.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2019, 04:18:12 PM »
The last thing we need right now is people resigning themselves to the 'status quo'.  That is exactly what the Cabal wants, and what will promote our failure.
If Trump, the Patriots, the Alliance, et al, are really working to defeat the Luciferian strangle hold on humanity, then they need our hope, prayers and faith that freedom will triumph.
Visualize that future. Don't sit around wringing hands and mumbling, "We're screwed."  That will be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2019, 05:28:21 PM »
The last thing we need right now is people resigning themselves to the 'status quo'.  That is exactly what the Cabal wants, and what will promote our failure.
If Trump, the Patriots, the Alliance, et al, are really working to defeat the Luciferian strangle hold on humanity, then they need our hope, prayers and faith that freedom will triumph.
Visualize that future. Don't sit around wringing hands and mumbling, "We're screwed."  That will be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I couldn't agree with you more OP,  my rant was strictly about the past and what our complacency has earned us,  I'm hoping that it's been a hard lesson learned, Mr. Trump seems to have been fighting the good fight so far, and I give him high praise for his efforts and accomplishments in spite of the war that the socialist libertards have been waging upon him for the last four years, he certainly is a high energy guy to keep up his pace at his age.
 My hope is that the left continues to get more radical and more crazy looking that the bulk of American voters come to their senses and realize that if they keep supporting the left based on their promises of free stuff they are going to wake up some morning and find that they have lost everything they once held dear including their liberty.
 I just wonder how nuts their old uncle has to get before they admit that it's time to commit them to the funny farm ?
 I heard Biden's speech the other day spewing Constitutional Crisis, and how Trump was taking credit for all the hard work that the Obama/Biden administration did to give us the flowering economy we are in today, there really is no depths that they won't go to wreck this nation, they'd rather rule over a third world nation than to live in a prosperous and free representative republic.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019, 12:49:19 AM »
Trump really should end his term crapping himself at the end of a rope; that's generally how treason is punished, or at least it used to be.  Not sure that there's anyone left in govt with the stones to do what should be done though.  Half of them are complicit in his treachery and the other half can't be bothered in an election decade.

As for the attacks on the AT, very sad.  Everyone bemoans that someone should have done something earlier yet if anyone tried there's wailing and gnashing of teeth about that, too.  My solution is to simply take care of my own security.  I understand that not everyone can legally carry a firearm where they live, and I'm not advocating breaking the law.  I simply limit my adventuring to places where I can legally carry. 

The other thing I'll note is that a trauma kit and the ability to use it are important in the woods just like the firearm- when seconds count help is minutes or hours away.  I'm not sure where the machete blows landed on the fellow that died but he had time to call the cops before he expired.  A TK or some other prompt intervention may have saved him.  Today I drove out to a trail head I've been wanting to hike & camp in the Crazy Mountains (in MT).  Turns out I was a bit too early in the season and the roads were impassable.  Yet as I neared the spot I was going it struck me just how remote it was and how unlikely it would be that anyone would find me if I had trouble.  Probably find my carcass in late June!  But I had a pretty decent trauma kit with a pair of CAT TKs and some chest seals, along with my shotgun, sidearm and bear spray.

The world can be a dangerous place.  It's easy to forget that.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 07:25:13 AM »
Trump really should end his term crapping himself at the end of a rope; that's generally how treason is punished, or at least it used to be.  Not sure that there's anyone left in govt with the stones to do what should be done though.  Half of them are complicit in his treachery and the other half can't be bothered in an election decade.

May I ask what the President has done that is so "treasonous", and elicits this attitude?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 07:53:06 AM »

The world can be a dangerous place.  It's easy to forget that.

Actually my thoughts run a bit counter to yours, but they do include the use of ropes, I remember watching a mini series on TV a year or so ago based on the life of John Adams,  I was especially impressed with one scene that depicted a crowd of angry American/Englishmen having a discourse about the tyranny of the King, his high taxes, stamp act, and repression of colonial business.
 Just then one of the King's tax collectors walked by and was spotted by the crowd of protesters, he was immediately seized, a pot of tar was set on a quickly made fire, and a wagon bearing feathers was brought up,  Now I had heard of being "Tared and Feathered" before being used as a phrase, but I never pictured the act in my mind, especially from the viewpoint of the person being so used, it was actually shocking to see it happening, even in a movie.
 The tax collector was stripped naked and tied to a section of split rail fence, then hot tar was poured all over his body and that covered with feathers, it must be a horrible,  humiliating, and painful experience, when finished a handful of those gathered there lifted the rail with the king's agent still tied to it bound hand and foot and carried him to the town limit and dumped him on the ground.
 As far as Mr. Trump is concerned, I expect that he will end his second term with the respect of most reasonable and clear thinking Americans and leave us and this country much better off than it was under Obama or would have been under a Clinton administration.
 I also believe that if the left continues on it's agenda of destroying his presidency and negating the 2016 election thereby overturning the will of The People, there will be repercussions not seen in this country since the start of the Revolutionary War against those who seek to use the kind of over reaching powers that today are call socialism and communism,  and I fully agree that some if not most who support this foolish war on the Trump presidency deserve no less than the fate of that Crown's Tax Collector, for they are the true traitors and enemies of the state.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 08:02:43 AM by Moe M. »

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 08:00:02 AM »

May I ask what the President has done that is so "treasonous", and elicits this attitude?

Save your ink OP,  I've asked that question many times over the last 2-2/4 years and haven't gotten one specific answer yet, all they have are accusations backed up by pure hatred,  they don't know why and they can't tell you why,  they don't know what he's done wrong, but they are sure he did something they don't like, because all of their lefty friends are mad as well, and I don't mean angry mad, I mean Bat Schitt crazy Mad.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 08:30:49 AM »
If they COULD impeach Trump,  they WOULD'VE impeached Trump.  Blah blah blah.  Buncha hot wind coming out of their butts.

Have you seen Trumps new campaign hat for 2020?

"Make Them Cry Again."

I'm signing off for a few months here in week or so like I do every year.  Might check in once or twice when we get to town.  All my friends up there are liberals.  I focus on breathing and emptying my mind when they start in on politics and Nazi, Racist, Misogynistic, old white male (ironically most of them are old and white) deplorables.  Sometimes it works...

My post is relevant to the OP because we are close to an AT trail head.  Heh heh.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 08:36:02 AM by madmax »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 02:04:24 PM »
Wow, this got political. Ha! I am only going to say that when Trump became the president the world was proud. Yup.
There were people all over the world on multiple forums saying how happy they were that we did the right thing. Thankful that Hillary didn't get in. Australia, New Zealand, UK, Germany, Mexico, Japan, and the lsit goes on.
Trump was a guest on Howard Stern 15 years ago. Very good dude and helped out a lot of folks out of pure kindness. Long before any political involvment. I remember a caller saying Trump had their car towed and gave them a ride home in the limo after breaking down in the big apple. At no charge.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 02:30:18 PM »
The Haters will hate...it's their comfort zone, and they have been brainwashed (yeah...that's a real thing) by the MSM for 3 years.
Last poll says 42% of the population still believes there was Trump-Russian connections, even after a 2 1/2 year investigation proving otherwise. It will take a lot for half the population to realize their brains have been stepped on by the elite since they could read....

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 04:43:53 PM »
The Haters will hate...it's their comfort zone, and they have been brainwashed (yeah...that's a real thing) by the MSM for 3 years.
Last poll says 42% of the population still believes there was Trump-Russian connections, even after a 2 1/2 year investigation proving otherwise. It will take a lot for half the population to realize their brains have been stepped on by the elite since they could read....

It really is mind boggling OP,  The great recession started at the end of GW's administration, Obama and his minions had eight full years to try to get the country back on it's feet, the economy was the key, instead of helping Business and investors to climb back into the black, they piled on new taxes and hiked corporate taxes, increased the sin taxes on the middle class and lower income classes, they placed new and greater restrictions on manufacturing and utilities, devastated the domestic coal and steel industries, all of which helped the foreign businesses that compete against our domestic industries have an unfair advantage over the US in trade.
 In addition they ram rodded the worst health care plan in history, then mandated participation, and crippled the insurance and health care industries,  all of these progressive policies caused businesses to move off shore costing this country millions of jobs and billions of dollars in lost revenue and trade deficits.
 Not to mention that they apologized to our enemies and insulted our allies, all the while damaging our national security, they also ran guns to Mexican cartels that got countless DEA agents, Boarder Patrolmen, and under cover federal agents killed,  they paid out hundreds of millions of dollars of tax payer monies to international terrorist while supporting Palistine and Hamas and denouncing Israel,  and let's not forget those brave Americans who lost their lives in Bengazi and other US Embassies while Obama and Sec. Clinton sat around sipping tea in the White House War Room and did absolutely nothing to save them even as they were pleading for re enforcements, then Obama and company lied,  making up a story about some phony anti Islamic video being the cause to cover up their treacherous actions. 
 During that eight years the Liberal/Progressive/Socialist/Democrat Administration drove our National Debt higher than all the other Administrations that came before them, in Eight friggin' Years they managed to take a strong and vibrant country and bring it to the brink of ruin, and It's taken President Trump two and a half years to turn it around and put us back in the Black again,  there are now more jobs available than there are people to man them, the economy is strong again, we are gaining on trade, our allies respect us and our enemies fear us again, and the democrats are all going nuts trying to convince themselves that they can make a come back by crushing the Trump administration and recalling a National Election that was decided by The People.   

And with all of these Facts (real provable facts), clearly in evidence, still the majority of democrat voters drink the lame stream media Kool Aid and support these treasonous criminals,  William F. Buckley had it right, when he said there can be only one reasonable explanation "... Liberalism is a mental illness",  What else could cause close to half the people in this country to support those that would make them dependent on their rulers and who would drive them into poverty and rob them of their heritage of liberty, freedom, and self rule ?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 05:03:50 PM by Moe M. »