Author Topic: back yard bird watching  (Read 186 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
back yard bird watching
« on: May 18, 2019, 05:08:44 AM »
it's my new hobby so to speak watchin the birds.
i never knew there were so many kinds right here till i put out some food'
oreo's chiadees wood thrushes, humming birds 2 type.
wrens flickers, wood peckers and so on.
this is so cool.even saw a red breasted grosbreck.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: back yard bird watching
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 11:27:33 AM »
Heather & I keep watching for new birds that we have seen locally and on trips to different areas of the country and the state.  We bought a couple of good bird books and put a notation by every 'first sighting' bird that we can positively identify.  We include the place we saw that particular bird, date of sighting, male or female, and any other pertinent information that we find noteworthy. 

The Baltimore Orioles and Rose Breasted Grosbeaks are back in force here as well....we started seeing them in profusion  just this past week.  Both species are in full mating mode and building nests like crazy.  The Ruby Throated Hummingbirds are keeping Heather busy refilling our hummingbird feeders......they're as thick as a cloud of gnats! :shocked:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 01:32:39 PM »
We had a group of about six Goldfinches come by yesterday.  There were five males and one female.  First time we have seen them this year.

We had one Wren hang around all winter.  The Red Wing Black Birds are back and will usually stay in the reeds on the marshy ground above the reservoir all summer.  No Grackles yet. 

We have two Caspian Terns here at present.  This pair was here the last couple of years and they are pretty far east of their normal range.

The annual visit from the Osprey won't be for another month.

The geese and ducks have a few babies but I think most will be taken by the mink.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 02:15:54 PM »
Been backyard bird watching for a few years now and have accumulated quite a list.  A first this year was a female Baltimore Oriole drinking from the hummingbird feeders.  She has moved on.  Was fortunate enough to visit some friends on the coast a couple weeks ago.  Saw a pair of painted buntings as well as a male summer tanager.  Wish those would visit my backyard.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 09:47:25 AM »
When I first landscaped my backyard having it bird friendly in my head. We have a couple of feeders that take seed and when it gets cool I put out a couple of suet feeders. There are two shallow bird baths, little birds need shallow water.

I need to spend more time id'ing the birds I see, but I do know it is diverse. We have roadrunners, lots of them, they are a blast to watch, especially in groups. You see them running along the cider block walls, they have little fear of people. MY neighborhood is also starting to attract coopers hawks, one day out of the corner of my eye I see a quick movement, turning my head that direction I then see a small cloud of feathers. It was a coopers hawk nailing a dove, which we also have a lot of. I see lots of robins, little yellow and green breasted finchs, and lots of doves. The neighborhood has but I have never see, only heard, are owls. It is neat to hear them early morning, like three and four am.

The area I live in, well within the city limits of Albuquerque, about three miles from the foothills of the sandia mts, is creating habitat for not only for animals native to area but is extending the habitual area for wildlife that usually found closer to the mountains. The city does not allow development of the natural arroyos that channel rain into the rio grande, so those normally dry areas are corridors for wildlife to come down from the sandias. They also create more habitat. The water features, fruit trees, the xeriscaping, and mature trees then draw them into the neighborhood.  We have skuinks, rabbits, squirrels, coyotes, lizzards, small and large birds of prey, racoons, and the occasional bobcat or lost bear. It is neat, but keeps you on your toes if you have a little dog because they can become food if left alone in the yard. Sorry for rambling but I am more than a little happy about it.
Nice matters

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 11:19:27 PM »
I have become more of a birder.  I love watching wildlife and birds are always around.  Each species has its own story.

I now lead birding walks for the US Fish and Wildlife Service around San Francisco Bay.  The diversity of birds is amazing to see, once you're attuned to it.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om