Author Topic: Kayaking deaths on Rainbow River  (Read 208 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Kayaking deaths on Rainbow River
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 06:28:02 AM »
Yeah something weird there.  We're not getting all the story (s).  On the other hand, We spend time down there a short ways downstream from the springs.  During the week we enjoy nature.  During the weekends the madding hoards come out and astound us with their antics.  Trying to paddle upstream and going from one side of the river to the other.  No wonder they look so tired coming back down.  4 people in a 10 ft canoe... 2" of freeboard and no one is wearing a pfd. Freaking out over a 3 foot gator on a log.  Yelling at each other going up.  Not speaking to each other on the way back.

I personally think both recent fatalities would have been avoided if they had pfd's on.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 08:30:42 AM »
I personally think both recent fatalities would have been avoided if they had pfd's on.

Very true & it's amazing how many people don't! :P :P :P :P
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 10:22:45 AM »
Another factor is we have some high water here right now.  People really don't see the danger of a sweeper or strainer... until it's too late.  A canoe full of water weighs as much as a sports car. You want that DOWNSTREAM of you if you're in the water.

The one fatality kinda stumped me.  The weeds pulled her under?  Sounds like getting sucked into a strainer.

Another factor is the east side of Rainbow is state park and undeveloped.  The banks are wild Florida. Overhanging branches and weeds. The west side is houses.  The owners get very touchy about trespassers.  Like don't do it.  It's not just being pissy.  Things disappear.  Floats, boats, and paddles.  Paddlers have actually crawled out of the river and onto the deck when we're sitting there.  Then got rude when they were asked to not do that.  There's not really a good solution.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson