Author Topic: Flooding........  (Read 218 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Flooding........
« on: May 22, 2019, 01:13:30 PM »
All the rain has caused some flood damage at my place.

Here it is this morning

In the second picture there is a blue heron standing on the dam to the left of those reeds on the right side.  He was the only happy camper this morning.

The flow washed out two stacks of 3500# concrete blocks 3 high last night.  Just put them in a month ago.  We were looking for concrete riprap when this storm hit and the water uncut the earthen bench they were on. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Flooding........
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 01:46:28 PM »
Stay dry!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 01:47:29 PM »
Dayum!  Hope it doesn't get any worse for ya!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 05:20:19 PM »
That water flowing over the top of an earthen dam like that ain't good!  That's exactly what happened here in Nebraska when the Spencer dam breached on the Niobrara River less than a month ago.  One resident was lost in the resulting flood.....never did find the guy.  We finally got all the flotsam off the fields from our recent flood and the corn & beans are all planted.....as of day before yesterday.  Better late than never!

I tried calling you last night, but you must have been out checking on your dam, by the way, your mailbox is full or ain't workin'......I'll try later.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 09:31:42 PM »
Craig I don't have a mailbox, my phone has one of those old fashioned answering machines and there are no calls stored in it.  Not even those "we can help you with your credit card debt" azzwipes.

Part of our problem here is there is a larger reservoir upstream from our place and they developed a serious dam erosion situation during this storm.  If it lets go it will really be a problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 04:47:13 AM »

Wishing you and yours well Stan, weather can be a good friend or a staunch enemy,  and only it gets to choose which it will be when it decides to act up.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 06:23:15 AM »
A number of friends in Iowa and Missouri are in the same boat, so to speak.   We have not seen any significant rain in over a month. 

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 06:34:36 AM »
A number of friends in Iowa and Missouri are in the same boat, so to speak.   We have not seen any significant rain in over a month.

We (Ocala) got 1 a little while ago.  Enough to keep the grass green.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson