Author Topic: The Difference in Dirt  (Read 105 times)

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
The Difference in Dirt
« on: May 24, 2019, 11:19:10 AM »
I suppose I should title this "The Difference in Potting Soil."  Anyway, I haven't planted tomatoes in the ground in a long while.  Putting them in pots seems easier and the deer don't eat them up here on the deck.  This year, I tried a different potting soil instead of my normal "Miracle Gro."  In both of the following pics, the tomatoes on the left were planted a full week later and in Baccto potting soil.  The tomatoes on the right in Miracle Gro.  We'll see how things progress and how they produce, but right now my money is on the Baccto.  I've been told, but have no idea if it's true, that the Baccto is what all the folks growing wacky tobacky use.

The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: The Difference in Dirt
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 11:35:41 AM »
Dang!  Did you fertilize yet or are they getting ready to be.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »
Fertilized both one time at the same time with a liquid fertilizer.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 04:04:41 PM »
It has been so wet in these parts our tomatoes are still in the house.  Our last freeze date is May 30 too, so we are not behind the regional schedule.

We used pots and one 50 gallon water trough last year.  The pots did pretty well but the trough got too much water I think and it didn't set much fruit.  This year we will go back to the garden with a few plants and use a couple of pots like yours on the deck.

I will see if Baccto is sold out here in the west.  If not here probably in Colorado :).
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)