Author Topic: Remember. Honor. Respect. RIP  (Read 274 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Remember. Honor. Respect. RIP
« on: May 26, 2019, 07:58:46 AM »
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:10:01 AM by madmax »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Remember. Honor. Respect. RIP
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 09:52:04 AM »
Thank you for the timely & important post, Tony......and BTW, great flag etiquette!  :thumbsup:
It only takes a few minutes to honor and thank all those brave men & women who made the supreme sacrifice.......all owing the rest of us to enjoy the freedoms we still have! :hail:

The History of Memorial Day

Originally called Decoration Day, from the early tradition of decorating graves with flowers, wreaths and flags, Memorial Day is a day for remembrance of those who have died in service to our country. It was first widely observed on May 30, 1868 to commemorate the sacrifices of Civil War soldiers, by proclamation of Gen. John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of former Union sailors and soldiers.

During that first national commemoration, former Union Gen. and sitting Ohio Congressman James Garfield made a speech at Arlington National Cemetery, after which 5,000 participants helped to decorate the graves of the more than 20,000 Union and Confederate soldiers who were buried there.

''We do not know one promise these men made, one pledge they gave, one word they spoke; but we do know they summed up and perfected, by one supreme act, the highest virtues of men and citizens. For love of country they accepted death, and thus resolved all doubts, and made immortal their patriotism and their virtue.''

- James A. Garfield
May 30, 1868 Arlington National Cemetery
This event was inspired by local observances of the day that had taken place in several towns throughout America in the three years after the Civil War. In 1873, New York was the first state to designate Memorial Day as a legal holiday. By the late 1800s, many more cities and communities observed Memorial Day, and several states had declared it a legal holiday. After World War I, it became an occasion for honoring those who died in all of America's wars and was then more widely established as a national holiday throughout the United States.

When Is Memorial Day?

In 1971, Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act and established that Memorial Day was to be commemorated on the last Monday of May. Several southern states, however, officially commemorate an additional, separate day for honoring the Confederate war dead, sometimes referred to as a Confederate Memorial Day: January 19 in Texas; third Monday in Jan. in Arkansas; fourth Monday in Apr. in Alabama and Mississippi; April 26 in Florida and Georgia; May 10 in North and South Carolina; last Monday in May in Virginia; and June 3 in Louisiana and Tennessee.

Memorial Day is commemorated at Arlington National Cemetery each year with a ceremony in which a small American flag is placed on each grave. Traditionally, the President or Vice President lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. About 5,000 people attend the ceremony annually.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 01:27:57 PM »
Living near a small town we have a memorial day program at the local cemetery.  It is a very fitting and, at times, moving remembrance of those who gave their lives for freedom. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 07:19:46 PM »
Yep, it's much more than a day to BBQ.  Let us all honor those that gave their last full measure of devotion for their country, and let us strive to prevent the loss of any more.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 06:34:26 PM »
didn't go to the cemetary though I did visit a neighbor at the nursing home a marine.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 08:44:15 PM »
Honor/Respect. I believe those to be the same, or close enough in definition. Can you explain the difference you see between those words? IMHO, and I may be wrong...being so hard to differentiate. Respect: is afforded / given; from one to another. Honor: if one wished to separate the notion from the more common "brown nosing" is entirely personal.

You and yours here: Do not respect me. Because I have behaved outside your narrow frame of acceptability. I am: unaccepted. OK. Could be: on purpose.
    Here is your hot take on the subject( Nope. Unk is full on degenerate.)

Honor: is a concept one(you) take/adopt. It is a burden one accepts. It is a choice between right and wrong, a judgement. With Honor/ choosing Honor;  one accepts the role of Judge. What do they call judges on TV ( your Honor) or I might guess when youins go to Court you also say "yo onor" (?)

Respect is more or less demanded. Respect is like what your ole PaPa demanded. "You will do that or get yor ass beat" Whatever that thing was; you only did not do it once to his satisfaction. Respect has stitched in a Power differential.  (YOU) go ahead and explain it different so I can understand_________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ____________

I do want all those dead soldiers to RIP. Some were friends, family... I sat near some(not all of ) graves and wondered. (FYI My people would likely eat your livers. ) We (me)aint gonna do that today
    So Relax. ME? i dont know who you are!: Mixed Up Americans is my guess.  Yeah.

If you choose to thank your fathers and sons for making this life (the one here in the US. With Harley's       and RVs and             your big fat ass and a BBQ rib) Do That.

Mine: is different. I see; the very best of my people lost, dead. For You. Think about it Amigo (you) are what's left over after the carnage.   You: weak. You: lifeless
               Why should I be proud of you
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 09:49:30 PM »
Unknown,
   Quote ( the very best of my people lost, dead.)

If your people were lost, dead defending a cause they believed in, they should be respected because they earned it. They did not demand it, but they certainly deserve it. No one should belittle their sacrifice.
   If your people were lost, dead as non combatants, then that is a tragedy and for that I am truly sorry. They should be mourned and not forgotten. Their legacy falls to the survivors (you), please don't let them down.

Quote (  Think about it Amigo (you) are what's left over after the carnage.

I did think about that, Unk. You and I are both left overs. We should both be grateful to those who have gone before us for the tangible and intangible things they have afforded us.

If we are to express gratitude to others for their sacrifices, all we have to work with are written words. "Remember, Honor, Respect, RIP" is a good start, and while they may be inadequate, they are certainly not bad.

As a provocateur you do an excellent job. Well done!