Author Topic: Gifts From BIL  (Read 114 times)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Gifts From BIL
« on: June 06, 2019, 02:22:35 PM »
One of my brothers-in-law from Georgia came to visit for the last couple days.  He told me he was going to bring me a couple of things, but I didn't know what.  First he surprised me with a Savage 24J-DL.  22 mag over 20 ga.  Hardly new in box, of course, but is in pretty darn good shape overall.  I've been lusting after one of these for awhile.

Then, after I got done goo-goo-gah-gahing over that, he opens up the back of his Tahoe and had this for me.  A 48 gallon sugar kettle!  It had already had the bottom drilled to make it a fire pot.  Took a little work for these 2 old farts to get it set up.  Still have things to do to get the area around it prettied up, but the hard work is done.

The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Gifts From BIL
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »
WOW!  They both are very cool.  That gun is a prize.  I wish I had a BIL like your's.  Mine just does my taxes.  lol
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 04:27:48 PM »
I'm envious....the Savage is especially nice and it is chambered exactly as if I'd have picked it out for myself! :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 07:57:16 PM »
Wow is right.  Neat stuff from a generous individual.  Your sister married a good guy. 

The pot is terrific and I am stricken with a bit of envy.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 09:06:39 PM »
Awesome!  Very nice of him.  An overunder rifle shotgun combo is definitely on my list at some point.  Those seem like the best woods loafing guns when lots of different game is in season and you're just out to enjoy the woods and be opportunistic.  Let us know how it shoots!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 09:13:19 PM »
Your blessed with a great BIL. congrats
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 04:53:02 AM »
Would love a Savage like that!   Some years back, one of my BIL gave me a mint Belgian Browning 12 Mag A-5, and a Remington 742 in .30-06.  25 years later and I am still using them.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 06:36:31 PM »
Awesome gifts.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 04:33:17 PM »
That sugar kettle up here are called pig boilers. any idea why? I have no idea why anyone would boil a pig?

My uncle has one of those. I used to carry it going out with the guy's deer hunting. He always told me to get a squirrel. if I missed with the 22 used the shotgun. I was 10, and I don't think it was loaded...Good times though.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.