Author Topic: thoughts on cooking with pecan wood  (Read 779 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
thoughts on cooking with pecan wood
« on: June 21, 2019, 04:21:35 PM »
I would like to try out cooking/smoking with pecan.
it's very popular in the south, and also grows there as well.
I would like some feedback from those who have cooked
smoked you know like 12-14 hours slow. hows the taste.

Online Yellowyak

• Water Stone
Re: thoughts on cooking with pecan wood
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 04:57:42 PM »
This year, I've probably used a smoker around 25 - 30 times so far. I've used Pecan wood a few times when smoking proteins, and I find it to have a strong flavor, similar to hickory or mesquite. I think it would be fine used on beef over a long smoke. I tried it once with Cornish game hens and it had a very strong, somewhat bitter taste to it. Maybe I used too much. I don't care for a heavily smoked flavor on my meats. On poultry and pork, I prefer fruit woods and mainly use cherry or locally harvested orange tree wood. On fish, I like apple wood. On beef, I typically use hickory, but I don't use too many chunks.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 05:11:49 PM »
My smoker is gas fired propane so I use wood chips, but I never try to actually smoke for the whole time I'm cooking.  On a Boston butt for instance, I only smoke for about the first 3 or 4 hours.  I usually use hickory which is in the same family as pecan.  For cooking over an open fire I find pecan or hickory about the same----good fire and coals that last a long time, but my favorite wood to cook over is beech.  When I was kid and we were BBQing whole hogs we used hickory or pecan or both for the coals to cook them over.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 05:02:20 PM »
anyhow after watching numerous youtube videos
I found that oak is a very good substitute for pecan.
so I guess problem solved, to day I just spent a 10 hour day slow cooking a
11,lb pork shoulder' so I guess as the WORD says for the rest of the laborer
is sweet, i'll sleep well tonight. I harvested several woods from my property.
maple, cherry, and apple. all for a pulled pork bbq sandwich.
tomorrow i'll buy a new off set smoker.

Online Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 06:54:52 PM »
Mike, if you up for a fun and fast DIY smoker project, google "mini wsm smoker". This will give you numerous hits for building a DIY Mini Weber Smokey Mountain style smoker using an off the shelf mini Weber 14" Smokey Joe Grill and an IMUSA 32 Quart Aluminum Steamer Pot from Walmart for the middle section. It's a fun project and cool to play with. I've used mine at least 20 times this year and use it more than my 18" Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker.

Here's a picture of the DIY 14" mini vs. my 18" Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker:

Edit: Added pic.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:16:11 PM by Yellowyak »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 10:03:39 PM »
I do the same as Nuke does with the wood chips.  I smoke the meat for about 3 to 4 hours and then the rest is without the wood.  Mine is one of those electric chest type smokers as I do not enjoy being tied to a wood or charcoal fired smoker all day.  I have tried smoking at the beginning and at the end and don't see any noticeable difference in the taste.  Wood chips are mostly just commercial bags of various flavors although we have used apple wood from a long dead apple tree we used to have.

I used one of those similar in shape to Yellowyak's larger smoker for several years but in finally needed some care and I got rid of it.  The mini Weber project looks like it would be pretty good if you are using wood or charcoal for heat. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Mill File
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 07:21:04 PM »
I use Live Oak for coals.  It's kinda what I call a neutral smoke but has solid long lasting coals.  For flavor I will add a few chunks of mesquite while the meat is cooking, but not too much.  Years ago I used straight mesquite because it was all that was to be had. 

I've tried native pecan but found it to be not to my liking.  Gave a bitter taste to the meat.  Fruit tree wood is rare in this area so any that I get is hoarded and used sparingly. 

I don't use cherry because I was told it was toxic.  Don't know if that is true or not but I'm too old to die of doing something stupid (but not for lack of trying).

We don't have hickory. 

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 09:43:22 PM »
I don't smoke all that much meat these days and I find that those pellets made for those high dollar smokers/bbq units work okay.  I lost an apple tree a couple of winters back and have some of that I will try next  time I smoke a venison roast.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)