Author Topic: Peaks#16 and #17 Pomp and Hardscrabble Peak  (Read 810 times)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
Peaks#16 and #17 Pomp and Hardscrabble Peak
« on: July 02, 2019, 08:36:33 AM »
Pomp Peak and Hardscrabble Peak, numbers 16 and 17 of my 20 peak challenge...thanks for watching...woods

'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Peaks#16 and #17 Pomp and Hardscrabble Peak
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »
I finished hauling hay this morning and put in a neighbors wandering calf so it was a treat to see a new hike when I checked to see if there were any new posts here.  Much different terrain that the other two except at the top.  So now it is three to go.

Towards the end you show some kind of plant up high.  Looks like a thistle to me, do you know what it is?
I hate thistles. 

Any idea if Pomp is named for Sacagawea's son Pompey?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 11:10:02 AM »
Howdy Stan!
Plant appears to be a some type of wild Buckwheat, there are a huge variety in the Buckwheat family so i'm not entirely sure...this one could be the Parsnip flowered variety :shrug:
Pomp peak was indeed named for Sacagawea's son whom i believe was raised by Clark :thumbsup:
Glad you got the hay in amigo...first cutting?
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 11:24:48 PM »
It was first cutting Dave, at least the field we got baled.  One more field is cut but won't be baled for awhile as we got another .75 rain tonight.  Might not have to irrigate the 2nd cut the way this summer rain is going.  Heck might not even bale it as it will have rotted by the time it dries up.

Thanks for noting that it is some kind of wild Buckwheat.  I looked in my plant book and found some similar.  "Pompey" sure lived a different life because of Clark than he would have.   I went to Pompey's Pillar a few years ago.  Interesting place and it caused me to read a bit about him. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)