Author Topic: 2 Strokes  (Read 283 times)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
2 Strokes
« on: July 08, 2019, 10:30:12 AM »
    These are evil machines invented by Satan to drive mankind to madness.  I don't think I need to elaborate.
huh?

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
Re: 2 Strokes
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »
You forgot to put oil in the gas again didn't you? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 12:54:58 PM »
Today I have three of them two smokers.  A cultivator, string trimmer, and dirt bike.  Grew up with two stroke motorcycles and, while I dislike some things about them, they are cheaper to fix and cheaper to buy (kind of) than the four strokes.

Once, about thirty years ago, I was leading the seniors class at the mx races for the yearly championship.  The guy in second was all over me in the first race but couldn't get around.  He came over during the break and asked where he could get some race fuel.  We sent him to the guy who sold it.  During the second race his bike seized tight as a drum and I got a bunch of points that gave me an uncatchable lead with two races to go in the series.  I went over to console him on the bike problem and asked him what kind of oil he used with that race fuel he bought.  He looked at me kind of strangely and said "you mean to tell me that at $5.00 a gallon you have to add oil to that fuel?"  "Yep" I said trying not to laugh.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 05:50:25 AM »
Yeeeeeeeess...I added oil.  Measured it too.  Even bought fuel stabilizer  like it said I should.  I'm telling you it's evil.
huh?

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 08:35:39 AM »
Don?t forget to mix in a little profanity too.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »
I mix profanity at 50 to 1. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 10:59:13 AM »
I have lead a charmed life I guess. All my 2 strokes have been well behaved except one chainsaw. When used in the summertime the gas would boil in the tank and then it would vapor lock until it cooled down. Snowmobiles, chainsaws, ice augers and two stroke motorcycles have all been great runners and starters in the cold. And except for that one John Deere V70 chainsaw I have no complaints. My 4 stroke 8 horse snowblower however was a bear to pull start. Ended up bolting a  block heater to it to thin the oil out. Otherwise, the oil was so stiff you couldn't pull it fast enough to get it to start. I was down to using 5W20 oil and it still wouldn't go. Bear in mind, this was before the synthetics and their 0Wxx viscosity ratings were available. Oh, and that Polaris ATV I've got is a 4 stroke and it thinks 40*F is cold. By the time we get to 10*F, even ether starting fluid won't help. If your having trouble with starting a 2 stroke, go to Walmart. Get a bottle of "Mechanic in a bottle" engine tune up. Follow the directions, Use some patience (Maybe a day or two) and it might get you going again. And, if you have accidentally used an alcohol (ethanol) blend gasoline, even 10%, you fuel line may look like a bit of slime. Completely collapsed and plugged.  Just a thought. It doesn't happen often  :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:35:10 AM by Pete Bog »

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 11:59:13 AM »
Vapor lock.  Hadn't thought of that.  Kinda doubt it the way it's been running/not running/not starting.  But I'll try a solution for that..
huh?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 04:50:42 PM »
Have you checked the spark plug? :shrug:   Also, we had a Toro weed eater that would need reed valves or a diaphragm every other year....like clockwork. :popcorn:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 06:50:54 AM »
all of my yard equipment is two stroke.  I use Echo and Stihl.  Zero problems,  but then I am careful with the fuel:oil mixture,  have my equipment serviced regularly,  and don't expect more than I know the stuff will give me.

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Mill File
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 07:13:25 PM »
I run 2stroke weed eaters with all the attachments.  I had a four stroke once and burned it up using a pole saw.  for whatever reasons it didn't get lubed pointed up. 

2003 Yamaha 50 2 stroke ran perfect for 15 years then started clogging the high speed jets.  After I rebuilt cleaned the carbs three times I went to the Yamaha place to get a new one.  Guy told me Yamaha doesn't make a 2 stroke 50 in the US any more.  He said mine was likely better than the new 4 stroke (this is a Yamaha dealer).  So, cleaned the carbs again.  Running only new gas from a new can through new hoses. So far no problems.  When I try to run it through my old 27 gal built in tank through rubber gas lines the gas turns brown before it even gets to the first filter.  I think the gas is eating up the hoses.  I don't put stabil in the gas and run the motor dry every time. 

Everything else is four stroke except the Kubota (diesel).

Alan

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 05:26:49 PM »
Don't use ethanol fuel in a carb. My rock crawler just needed a fuel pump. The ethanol ate the rubber hose from the tank. Not sure how the rubber got through the .05 micron(?) fuel filter. I think it liquified then solidified after. I have a stuck injector as well. Ethanol fuel is more evil that a 2 stroker.

It used to be only 91 octane had no ethanol but now more stations are carrying 89 octane non ethanol.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Mill File
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 06:35:30 PM »
#1 son found one station within 50 miles that has ethanol free gas.  It must be purchased 50 gal at a time.  We're building a portable tank to haul over there to get it.

Odd that people demand a "choice" to kill babies but not to buy gasoline....

Alan

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 09:03:09 PM »
I use ethanol free gas and Stabil or SeaFoam in all my 2 strokes and in my 4 stroke outboard on the boat.  If you want to buy e free gas near you, check out this web site.  You might find something close to you.  I have 2 different gas stations within just a few miles of me that sell e free gasoline.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=FL

The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 09:55:17 PM »
It is no problem finding it where I live.  Pumps have three grades at most stations.  Regular no ethanol 85 octane, 10% ethanol 87 octane, and premium no ethanol 91 octane.  Premium will run 50 cents or so more than Super and regular will run 30 cents or so more.  My truck and motorcycle run fine on 87 octane but I get better mileage with the non ethanol fuel.  My SUV says to use at least 89 octane but I don't do that much.

The ATV needs non ethanol fuel but only because the 10% alcohol runs hotter and ruins the fuel pump if you run it hard and it has less that half a tank of fuel in it; or so says the guy who fixes the tougher problems it has.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 10:09:25 AM »
We have the same choices for fuel here in town that Stan has, except we don't have any non-ethanol 91 octane 'premium' pumps at either of our local stations.  The old pickup burns regular 10% ethanol fuel and has had zero fuel problems.  All the small engines get the ethanol-free fuel and I burn out all the residual fuel in the system at the end of each season's use....no problems.

As for the motorcycles, I can use 87 octane non-ethanol in the Vulcan and it gets around 45 mpg consistently, but the 37 mpg H-D needs the 'premium' grade.  Since they don't have it available here in town, I have to go 12 miles in one direction or 21 miles in another to fill the tank.....that means taking the tank down by by a gallon for the round trip each time I fill the tank which shortens my effective travel range by approximately 20% before I even start toward my destination in a north or south direction. :doh:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX