Author Topic: #18 Crow Mountain  (Read 1059 times)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
#18 Crow Mountain
« on: July 09, 2019, 07:44:27 AM »
Peak # 18 of my twenty peak challenge...Crow Mountain...wished i had me a person along to capture more of this one on video...definitely one of my crazier freestyle attempts...thanks for lookin!...woods

'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: #18 Crow Mountain
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:48:55 PM »
Interesting terrain on that one.  That is a great palisade you climbed up.  Quite a vista from that one too.

I didn't recall hearing the elevation on that one so I looked it up.  10,676 so it is a tough one.  It looked like great goat country too.  When I lived in Colorado drawing one was tough and I never did.  We would go ptarmigan hunting and, sure enough, the goats would come within ten feet of you when you were resting.

Thanks, two to go I guess.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 08:16:05 AM »
Thanks Stan!
I took a fall yesterday, got pretty scuffed up and limped the five miles back to the ranch  :-[...it was a hike i have taken hundreds of times without incident...makes me think about the possible consequences had i taken that fall on Crow or anyone of the backcountry peaks i play on  :doh:....got a group coming out from Ohio in August...they want me to take them up a couple Mtns, said i would, but i reckon i'm retired after they leave ;)...taker easy my friend :cheers:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 11:26:42 AM »
I hadn't watched this one until today, but it didn't look like it was as much 'fun' as many of the other bagged-peak videos you've shown us.  Of course, I couldn't judge the terrain and soil conditions on that trail, but much of it didn't look all that stable to an uninitiated mountain climber like me.  :P

Your fall may be a sign, as you noted in your last post, that it's close to the time when it would be wise to stop tackling the more technical 'big guys' and enjoy some of the 'tweeners' that you may have missed or intentionally avoided in the past.  At least, you'd still be in the mountains that you love so much.....without as much risk. :shrug:

Heal fast and completely, old friend.....there's still time for less dangerous climbs.  Maybe Jay could give you some insight! ;)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 01:01:45 PM »
Yeah, this was a tough one...but hey, i'm nothing if not tough 8)
i reckon GreyJay could give me some tips at fitness longevity at that :)...legs feeling a bit better, managed my thursday hike without to much difficulty...hoping to put in an 18 on Saturday, i reckon it depends on how the leg holds up :shrug:
Only a few more weeks before the gang shows up, they'll be here a week and then i can throttle back a bit...this getting old Sheet really sucks >:(...i think i'll go back to canoe tripping  :canoe: ;)...thanks for watching Craig :cheers:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 07:09:15 PM »
This gettin' old crap beats hell out of the alternative though. :rofl: :rofl:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 07:48:07 AM »

My hat is off to you Dave,  you are a tough old buzzard, I wish I had your legs my friend, just the hike in from the truck on that access road would have finished me for the day.
 Keep pushing yourself as long as you can do so safely,  you'll know when it's time to dig out the canoe,  until then keep on keeping on. 

Thanks for taking us along.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 04:33:36 PM »
This gettin' old crap beats hell out of the alternative though. :rofl: :rofl:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: reckon you've got a point Stan :cheers:

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 04:37:30 PM »

My hat is off to you Dave,  you are a tough old buzzard, I wish I had your legs my friend, just the hike in from the truck on that access road would have finished me for the day.
 Keep pushing yourself as long as you can do so safely,  you'll know when it's time to dig out the canoe,  until then keep on keeping on. 

Thanks for taking us along.
Thanks for the words of encouragement Moe!
reckon i'll give it my best amigo :)