Author Topic: Dog Days of Summer  (Read 424 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Dog Days of Summer
« on: July 10, 2019, 06:53:38 AM »
yesterday it was 96F,  with a heat index of 110.  I have seen it worse lately.  The humidity is such that you can sweat in the dang shower.  Just too hot for me to hike,  paddle or stay out doing chores more than about an hour early in the morning.  Hurricane season is cranking up.  Rain is a constant.   Summer is in full swing.  Can't wait for some relief,  but here in North Central Florida,  I am not looking for morning temperatures in the sixties until mid to late October.

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Mill File+
Re: Dog Days of Summer
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 07:04:10 PM »
Our thermometer out back broke 100 today.  News said we had heat index of 102.  Once things start floating around in the 100s it doesn't much matter how hot it gets until you start cooking.  I try to get out early but by 11:00 I'm through for the day.  I did some mowing on Monday and thought I was in heat stroke territory.  Stopped sweating even drinking water nonstop.  Forget going out without a hat. 

Oh well, it'll be winter and 50 degrees soon enough.

Alan

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 04:03:13 PM »
We've been back a day and already I'm wanting to get out for a few days and nights.  But I know Halloween is when the heat breaks somewhat.  So it's predawn walks, spring fed river paddles, and indoor range shooting until then.  Maybe I'll throw in some short early morning  mountainbike rides.  I've GOT to work on my wind.  I did lose 9 lbs this summer so far.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 10:02:20 PM »
I don't know what it was here today, but a front blew in yesterday, brought some rain and a cool north breeze.  I still broke a sweat in the garden but It wasn't like last week, just sweltering.  It's 78 outside right now, which is about what I keep the thermostat set on for the AC. 

If the flesh eating bacteria wan't killing people down at the bay I try for and overnighter down there.  The mosquitos are bad for a few hours at dusk but once the night breeze and temps settle in they lay down. 

We could sure do without a storm this year.

Alan

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 05:44:00 AM »
Yeah I'm skittish about the water here.  My "safe" zones are the 72 degree springs and runs and the NE coast.  Any inland tepid water is highly suspect of flesh eating bacteria and that nasty amoeba that crawls up your nose and infects your brain.  Both are bad ways to go out.

It's raining lightly right now here but you'll break a sweat just standing under an umbrella.  We're waiting on a sunny day to wash our summer clothes.  They felt damp even stored inside the cabin.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.