Author Topic: Some of my woodwork  (Read 505 times)

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Mill File
Some of my woodwork
« on: July 10, 2019, 08:12:03 PM »

When I'm prepping mesquite logs for the mill I try to cut off the limb bumps and make these.  #1 wife has first refusal.  She hasn't let very many go.

Mesquite bench with walnut legs.  My dad actually started this bench and died before he completed it.  I finished it out.

another view of the same bench.  The small bowl on the book is another one of mine.

I use a lancelot tool for the rough shaping and then work to progressively smaller grinding wheels until the final sanding.  The sanding is what takes the most time because none of the surfaces are uniform.  I left the piece on the side of the top bowl to give kind of a waterfall look.

I also made the tressle table that the bowl is sitting on.  It is cypress from an old cistern from our ranch.  It had long ago served its purpose and had fallen down.  One of my predecessors had stapled chicken wire to the inside and grouted it to get another 20 or so years of use out of it.  I could not get all the staples out and it was Hell on planer blades getting it planed.  It was tapered, random width and beveled also.  I worked with alternating ends to get it sorta square and had to jointer every piece on both sides to remove the bevel.  Seems like I'd hit a staple on every pass.  I planed it down below the staples, sharpened the blades and ran it through one more time.  #1 wife wants me to refinish the top after raising three boys and having grandkids beating on it with silverware.  I jsut can't seem to bring myself to wipe out those marks. 

I love trees and love wood.  Mankind did himself a great disservice when he stopped making his everyday things out of wood. Plastics do nothing to bring us closer to the Earth.

Alan
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:29:34 PM by Alan R McDaniel Jr »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Some of my woodwork
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:26:26 PM »
Nice work!  I agree with you about the "battle scars" on the table.  They tell a story, and are the legacy of a family heirloom.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:39:40 PM »
Nice stuff Alan.  Really like the bench.

We don't cut many trees either.  Some of them along the property line are full of fence staples or nails and play hell with my chainsaws and anything else you cut them with.   
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

• Mill File
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:53:20 PM »
For my woodworking I used trees that have been down for a while.  That way there is minimal drying time.  I a live mesquite tree is cut for lumber and you don't have a kiln, it takes many years to dry even in south Texas conditions.  A dead downed tree was drying before it fell and it'll lay on the ground for lots of years before I find it.  People ask me all the time if I want trees they've cut out of fence lines or from around old barns or houses.  I very politely and graciously offer to take the tree but tell them that I won't cut it for lumber because of the possibility of nails, staples, and such, not to mention a horse shoe or two that got stuck in the crotch of a young tree and then grew over.  It only takes one nail or piece of barbed wire to ruin a bandsaw blade.

I was cutting a dead oak tree for firewood once with a chainsaw and saw sparks.  I pulled the bar out of the cut and the chain was mangled.  I sharpened it and tried from the other direction.  The chain was toast but I finally gnawed through the tree.  The culprit was a steel core from an AP round.  Long ago, someone, was shooting milsurp ammo and hit the tree.  It sat there and waited for me to cut through it at that exact place.  An inch higher or lower and I'd never have known it was there.

#1 son cuts trees for a living and sells firewood.  He uses carbide tipped chainsaw blades for most work.  for fenceline trees he puts on junk chains.  Those big carbide tipped blades will run $80- $100 and all it takes is one nail to turn them into scrap iron.  They can't be sharpened.

I'll cut a live tree if it is dangerous or is genuiney in the way.  Otherwise, it grows.

Alan

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 04:18:09 AM »
Awesome looking work.  It is so great that you were able to finish the bench that your Dad started.

• Mill File
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 06:41:50 AM »
Thanks Dave. My dad was a very good woodworker.  I have finished two of his started projects.  Another is a small end table.  If I ever get my "real" woodshop setup there were two or three more that he had started that need finishing.  THEN maybe I can finish the three or four I have started plus take care of those "someday" projects that I want to do for my kids. 

I have three little sisters (at least I call them that) and my dad was always making things for them.  One day after distributing a new round of furniture to them he said, "I guess you're wondering why I don't give you any?"  I replied, "Well, I haven't been wondering, but, I have noticed."  He said, "I give you tools".  And he had, a bunch of them.  A band saw, routers, planers, jointers, etc. and an assortment of hand tools.  When he died he left me even more than that.  I just have to build a place to put it and use it. 

I've been stashing and hoarding various different woods and lumber. Walnut, ash, mesquite, oak, plus some small quantities of more exotic stuff, some that I ahve cut myself and some that I have acquired.

If all goes well I should finally have the shop built and wired by this Winter and in operation by Spring. I hate to get too mouthy about it because life has a bad habit of getting in the way of my best laid plans.  But, I still plan and dream.

I love the look of wood and if it were all up to me there wouldn't be so much as a smear of paint in the whole house.  But, that's not all up to me either.....

Alan