Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 489 times)

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Mill File
Global Warming
« on: July 22, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »
Middle of July and it's raining in South Texas.  I could really get behind this Global warming thing!

Alan

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Global Warming
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 04:20:28 PM »
The older I get the less I want to deal with things I can't affect.  Can I affect climate change?  Nope.  One less thing to worry about.  (This drives my liberal friends crazy).
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 07:31:58 PM »
In western South Dakota rain in July is kind of rare.  Many of the old timers here are saying that there has not been a Spring and early summer this wet in their time in this area.  We are getting up second cut alfalfa without irrigating. 

Global warming or climate change has been politicized to the point of disbelief.  It is all about shifting power to the federal mismanagement system and the Universities and Scientists are raking in the dough to cook the numbers.  Is there climate change.  Well, maybe.  Go back and read the dire predictions of Gore and his ilk and guess what?  None of them happened.  Blaming cow farts for all of this doesn't either.

Greenland ice is still there.  Now there is a period of natural warming...... perhaps.......... going on and it is all mankind's fault.  (Person's fault if you live in Berkeley).  A person doesn't know what to believe any more and I agree with Max.   

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:29:46 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

• Mill File
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 09:08:58 PM »
Greenland wasn't called Greenland because the Vikings were trying to trick people into moving there.

Alan

• Mill File
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 09:09:44 PM »
Our Spring and Summer have been much wetter than usual and I'm glad of it whatever the reason.

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 09:39:41 PM »
Greenland wasn't called Greenland because the Vikings were trying to trick people into moving there.

Alan

Alan, It is written that naming the first place they found as Iceland was viewed as a mistake and naming the next place Greenland was, in fact, done to entice Viking people to move there.  It didn't work I guess. 

During the 980s, explorers led by Erik the Red set out from Iceland and reached the southwest coast of Greenland, found the region uninhabited, and subsequently settled there. Erik named the island Greenland. in effect as a marketing device. Both the Book of Icelanders, (a medieval account of Icelandic history from the 12th century onward) and the Saga of Eric the Red, (a medieval account of his life and of the Norse settlement of Greenland) state that Erik said that it would encourage people to go there that the land had a good name."

There is also this:
https://www.quora.com/How-come-Greenland-wasnt-named-Iceland-and-Iceland-wasnt-named-Greenland
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:45:51 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

• Mill File
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 04:35:42 AM »
You are correct.  Another reminder to me not to rely on my rapidly deteriorating memory before writing stuff down.  My recollection was of a study of Greenland before the last ice age when it was supposedly covered with a boreal forest, which would predate Viking exploration by at least 450,000 years.

Alan

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 07:27:22 AM »
You are correct.  Another reminder to me not to rely on my rapidly deteriorating memory before writing stuff down.  My recollection was of a study of Greenland before the last ice age when it was supposedly covered with a boreal forest, which would predate Viking exploration by at least 450,000 years.

Alan

I didn't know that,  who'd have thought that they had conventional Science back 450,000 years ago capable of such a study,  I should have paid more attention in school,  but there was this girl that used to sit next to me in class, her name was Audrey Wood, she had evidently gone through some early changes herself which I and more than a few other boys in the class had found to be very distracting and well worth studying as I truly believe that when ever she moved she raised the temperature in the room several degrease, but that's a story best left unexplored for the moment. 
 Getting back on topic, I have to agree with Max and Stan, IMHO as a layman I'm of the belief that Climate Change is a naturally occurring cyclic change in weather patterns that has more to do with changes in the earths axis, speed, rotation, and however the creator happens to feel on any given day,  just in my area of the country scientist have uncovered the bones of dinosaurs that they believe were killed off by a period of rapid rise in the earths temperature, also in the same area we have huge kettle ponds and rock formations that tell of the passing of the Ice Age and the effects that intense cold and giant Glaciers had on the land.
 Now, to my knowledge there weren't any where near as many cows on the planet then just farting around as there are now, the animals may have been bigger so naturally their farts may have had a greater affect, but not having studied farts all that much in my lifetime I'll leave that up to folks more knowledgeable in the area of flatulence.
 My bottom line is that Mother Nature is going to do as she pleases and some folks have to be pretty arrogant and or pretty dumb to believe that they can throw a loop around the weather and tame or change it to accommodate their wishes simply by regulating how people live or animals poop, but then again, maybe that's not the real reason for all the hype surrounding global warming/climate change, there's a lot of money to be made in the study of it, there's also a lot of power to be gained by governments and organizations like the UN by being in control of the rules and regulations regarding Global Warming.
 Governments have been known to screw the pooch on occasion,  it's just coming out now that the reason we who love the outdoors in this country are experiencing the devastating effects of Lymes sickness is because the US military and the CIA colluded to experiment with weaponizing Ticks by injecting them with certain toxins and pathogens and then turning them loose on any enemy that we were in conflict with, but it got away from them and we have what we have now,  they started the experiment in the late fifties and we are now reaping the ravages of their medaling with nature in our life time.
 Science can be a blessing to all of us, until it gets involved in politics or social change, that's when people die needlessly.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

• Mill File
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 01:55:01 PM »
I don't care what they call it as long as it keeps raining every week or so....

Alan

• Mill File
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 01:57:57 PM »
There were lots of scientific studies 450,000 years ago, but alas, they were all frozen. 

I also think that same girl was in my 7th grade class, but that might as well have been in the ice age too for all the good it did me.

Alan

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 10:08:19 PM »
This July is well on the way to being the hottest in human history (or at least since we invented thermometers).  When it comes to climate change don't be one of the three blind men describing an elephant.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 06:21:01 AM »
This July is well on the way to being the hottest in human history (or at least since we invented thermometers).  When it comes to climate change don't be one of the three blind men describing an elephant.

I guess it could possible, the month ain't up yet,  and your claim is supported by experts like Al Gore and OAC who give us anywhere between 12 years and the year 2035 before the earth is swallowed up by another big flood or pummeled by vicious storms, high winds and unbearable heat, one bright global warming scientist predicts that every living thing on earth will die of starvation when the effects of global warming prevent any source of food production,  talk about a downer.
 In all my years on this rock I've seen some hot summers and damned cold winters and I can tell you quite honestly that this is not going to be one of the hottest summers on record, and surely won't break any records, at least not in my area.
 So, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it goes, but in any event stay cool, avoid extended periods in the sun, be sure to drink plenty of Cool Aid, and above all, be well.

There is one thing that you could help me to understand, I can wrap my head around the possibility that if we are genuinely in the middle of a global warming/climate change crisis, and if man and his technology have been the major contributors to this crisis, just how does man go about reversing the process in ample enough time to prevent the partial or total destruction of the earth that these so called scientific experts predict, personally I'm a bit skeptical about being able to wean the world off of fossil fuels, rid ourselves of all carbon based liquid fueled mechanized transportation including air transport, boats, trains, and big rigs that carry our necessities of life from abroad and from domestic production, and get it delivered to where it's needed,  battery power has come a long way but it's not even close when it comes providing that kind of energy,  neither is wind or solar power close to being the answer realistically.
 Then there's the money part of this odyssey,  science wants more money to study the problem, governments want to impose carbo footprint taxes on business, then tax it's citizens an extra tax to fight the problem, the United Nations wants all the governments of the world to contribute large sums of money to their organization for the purpose of combating global warming,  now in anyone's book that's a lot of money, but nobody is telling us how it's going to be used to stop the threat, as far as I know no one has come up with a plan that even sounds like it has any merit, so what do they plan to do with all that money ?
 Some folks really believe that you can solve any and all problems by either banning something or throwing more money at them, I'm not one of them, but perhaps you can enlighten me.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 07:39:44 AM »

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
Just stopped snowing here three weeks ago, finally stopped raining three days ago, finally made it to 75 three minutes ago....i think Occasional Cortex and her ilk maybe on to something :rolleyes:...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

• Mill File
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »
Global Warming and and it's accompanying hoopla is hogwash.  Climate change is, however, real.  It's been going on for billions of years, Thank God.  The original Earth wasn't a very habitable place. 

Lots of people confuse Climate and Weather, or else they just don't want to admit the difference.  If you believe that man has any effect on Climate, then just send all your money to Al Gore and he will put it to good use straightening all this out.  Don't expect any of mine to be sent to him though.

Alan

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 02:53:44 PM »
The older I get the less I want to deal with things I can't affect.  Can I affect climate change?  Nope.  One less thing to worry about.  (This drives my liberal friends crazy).
introduce me to them Tony.   😃

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 02:59:59 PM »
Yeah,  that'd go over well.  lol

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 06:40:41 AM »
Just stopped snowing here three weeks ago, finally stopped raining three days ago, finally made it to 75 three minutes ago....i think Occasional Cortex and her ilk maybe on to something :rolleyes:...woods

Could be woods,  I guess we'll know more or better or not in about 12 years. ???