Author Topic: Waiting  (Read 2000 times)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
Waiting
« on: July 25, 2019, 09:50:09 AM »
Somebody caught me waiting to "have some fun"  on a stand up board on the class lll - lV Pigeon River in TN this summer.  I had high hopes of jumping back into my former ability.  Many moons have passed since I kayaked this river at the height of my abilities.  The years have not been kind and the SUP is a very different creature.  I got thoroughly thrashed and spit out.

I have work to do...
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Waiting
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 10:24:31 PM »
Mind sez, "Heck yeah! DO IT!"
Body sez, "Think again, Slick...."
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 06:40:16 AM »

There comes a time in the lives of most men (if they live long enough) when they realize that it's time to try something different, perhaps less taxing, and for sure less injury prone. 

Have you thought about hiking the AT,  in sections to start ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 07:25:15 AM »
Lol.  Yeah,  I'm a little stubborn like a lot of men.  I have back up equipment to continue to do the stuff I like right now.  I may not be able to SUP whitewater next year.  But I know I can canoe the foamy stuff.  I may not be able to stand up surf this winter,  but I can body board.  I may not be able to knock off the whole AT right now.  But I can bite off bits and pieces of the Bartram Trail with Max and Kelly.

BUT.  I'm not giving up on anything just yet.  Well I did swear off motorcycles and cave diving,  both for health reasons...like living.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »
Lol.  Yeah,  I'm a little stubborn like a lot of men.  I have back up equipment to continue to do the stuff I like right now.  I may not be able to SUP whitewater next year.  But I know I can canoe the foamy stuff.  I may not be able to stand up surf this winter,  but I can body board.  I may not be able to knock off the whole AT right now.  But I can bite off bits and pieces of the Bartram Trail with Max and Kelly.

BUT.  I'm not giving up on anything just yet.  Well I did swear off motorcycles and cave diving,  both for health reasons...like living.

I hear you, I gave up my last bike 9 years ago, gave up diving a long time ago when some fool mistook my divers flag for a racing cone and keep me pinned between a couple of underwater bolders until my reserve was almost gone, thankfully he got tired of that fun and moved on before I had to come up under his boat. 
 Some things take a long time to sink in,  other don't take very much time at all.  (grin)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »
All us old guys hear you Max.  It is tough to navigate life when your mind writes checks your body can't cash.  I have given up Kayaking, Alpine skiing, Running (new knees and no breath), and motocross racing.  I will never stop riding bikes until I can't pick one up if I fall over. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 01:55:31 PM »
So Kelly, Max, and I went for a hike today.  Thunderstorms, skeeters, seed ticks, yellow jackets, heat, humidity...  I didn't even make 2 miles.

But tomorrow is another day.

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 04:47:08 PM »
So Kelly, Max, and I went for a hike today.  Thunderstorms, skeeters, seed ticks, yellow jackets, heat, humidity...  I didn't even make 2 miles.

But tomorrow is another day.
It is indeed...with or without us!... ???
a trip to Montana is what you need...think Yellowstone river trip...open invitation Tony! :)...Dave
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 04:12:52 AM »
I've paddled a lot of rivers out west (including the Colorado through the Grand Canyon times).  Yellowstone is a must do favorite stop on a trip west.  We're going to re-gear up for next summer road trip.  New truck and RV.  Kelly retires in June, so we'll have no time restraints.

Thank you for the invite.  Maybe well see you next summer.

Tony

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 04:42:36 AM »
Dave,
          Ya got me thinking flyfishing on big western rivers.  Different that flyfishing in the small southern App rivers.  I think I'll be practicing out on some saltwater with a bigger weight rig.  Casing big flies with a #10.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 12:57:22 PM »
I fished a lot on the the Missouri, Yellowstone, Henry's Fork of the Snake, Big Horn, Smith, and others. and use a 5 or 6 weight rod.  I have tried a 9 weight once but went back to the 6 the next day. 

If you use big flies go with the 6 weight. 

Of course this is JMOYMD.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 01:23:54 PM »
If you get far enough West, try FF on the Feather River south of the Anderson Ranch Reservoir in Idaho (NE of Boise).
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 02:06:37 PM »
Thanks guys.  My #10 will wear you out FAST.  But saltwater flies are big and there's always wind.  I used a 3/4 weight the last few summer in NC mountains.  I wished for a #2 sometimes.  I used the #10 in Alaska.

So I have a good 5/6 and will pack that.  I also have a Tenkara rod that makes bait fish seem like tuna.  lol.

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 08:44:03 AM »
OK then Tony...i'll keep an eye out for ya!...remind me when its getting close...i reckon you'll know a lot more about fishing than i will...been a bait fisherman all my life...i get a lot of dirty looks from my fly fishing mates :duel:
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »
Nothing wrong with bait fishing.  I have a story about bait fish and Max.  We were fishing the Intercoastal Waterway after cast netting some finger mullet.  Threw them in a bucket and commenced fishing.  We rebaited once or so and my friend turned around to go to the bucket when he saw Max with his head in the bucket.  My friend yelled and Max looked up...with the last mullet in his mouth.  He had eaten all of our hard earned live bait.  My friends were less than amused and grumbled about it for days.  Max is not welcome on our salt water fishing trips anymore.  (Which means I won't go either.  He's never left me behind so...)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 12:39:43 PM »
OK then Tony...i'll keep an eye out for ya!...remind me when its getting close...i reckon you'll know a lot more about fishing than i will...been a bait fisherman all my life...i get a lot of dirty looks from my fly fishing mates :duel:

If you want to see some cool looks try baiting a worm on the end of your fly line and roll cast it out to deeper water, use a floating line, it keeps the worm off the bottom,  just keep an eye out for the other fly fishermen, if you see one carrying a rope RUN.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »
I flyfished the Gallatin River for a short bit long ago.  I got the stink eye from another fisherman.  I gave him plenty of room.  I don't know if he thought I was encroaching on his turf or I didn't have Orvis waders and a Sage vest.  Maybe it was my wailing away with a saltwater cast.  Anyway we sure did enjoy that part of the country.  Enough to go back a few times.