Author Topic: Think yer Tough?  (Read 1379 times)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
Think yer Tough?
« on: August 05, 2019, 08:40:24 AM »
This needs to be a full length movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Think yer Tough?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 02:10:55 PM »
That is an interesting story.  Pouring gasoline on maggots is one tough person, gender be damned.

It would be  a great movie if done well, with flashbacks of happy moments and relationships explored during the trek to help. 

Thanks for posting this, I am gonna read whatever I can find about her and since I knew who Herzog is
it was all the more interesting.  I would cast the movie of course and the lead would go to the girl who played in the Swedish version of the move "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", Noomi Rapace (if she still looks young enough to play a girl in here late teens). 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 08:27:01 AM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 03:01:48 AM »
One tough young lady!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 08:33:18 AM »
Here is a site with photos of her at various ages.  No new information from the Wiki article but a brief mention of her husband.  He is an expert on parasitic wasps.

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/juliane-koepcke-34275.php
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 03:04:28 PM »
 I read her story about ten years ago, it's amazing that she survived the fall and even more amazing that she effected self rescue,  the account that I read was from her own words in a interview a few months after her ordeal, as this accounting states, she landed in a thick canopy of jungle trees which broke her free fall, she got the gash on her leg and hurt her eye when going through the trees on her fall to the ground, and broke her collar bone on impact, she spent the night still strapped in her seat, it was so dark she had no way of seeing her surroundings or know how badly she was injured and was afraid to move.
When daylight arrived she could only see light, one eye was swollen shut and the other eye had been scratched by brush in the fall, she managed to free herself from the planes seat and she heard the sound of running water,  still not able to see anything clearly she crawled toward the sound of the water, when she reached the water she bathed her eyes and washed the wound on her leg, she then used a piece of clothing to make a bandage, it had stopped bleeding but she knew she needed to keep it and the cut on her arm clean.
One if not the main reason she survived the almost two weeks alone and injured in the jungle was that her parents often worked and lived with the indigenous natives in their primitive villages in remote parts of the world, both her parents were practiced in primitive living skills and passed those skills on to their daughter from a very young age.
for almost a week all she live on was stream water and a small bag of candy that she had in her pocket for the flight, in the recounting that I read it didn't get into detail about how she foraged or how she sheltered, all she had with her for clothing was the light sun dress that she was wearing when the plane went down and a light windbreaker that she had the candy in the pocket of.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 03:52:17 PM »
I'm not short changing teens today, because there are some very tough ones.  But I think a big percentage couldn't do this even with her knowledge. 

Naked and Afraid?  Woosies.

Like Stan I'm searching for more info on her.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 07:09:08 PM »
I got a photo of a young girl dressed up like she lives in some place I would not live, like maybe New York.  The lady is 64 now.    :)

Tony,

Go to images when you bring her name up.  Lot of photos and there is one of her mother, father, and her when she was younger than at the time of the plane crash.
(Mark Twain)