Author Topic: All 100-mph-tape is not equal!  (Read 248 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
All 100-mph-tape is not equal!
« on: August 06, 2019, 10:26:01 PM »
Fix anything with "duct tape"....but which one?

Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: All 100-mph-tape is not equal!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:13:22 AM »
Well I've been buying the wrong brand.  But not by much.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 03:07:44 PM »
Well I've been buying the wrong brand.  But not by much.
I'd never heard of TRex tape, but I'm surprised ANYTHING is stickier than Gorilla Tape! I've been a GT fan for a few years now.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 03:47:13 PM »
I use regular silver duct tape for a lot of things that are inside and don't involve weight.  Say, like taping a duct joint, and guess what?  Twenty years later they still are sealed just fine.  No weight pulling on it and no moisture to speak of.  When I worked in the home building field years ago I don't think there was a substitute for gray duct tape.  Today there are a bunch and some of them approach ridiculous in terms of price.  GT is one of them.

Even so I keep a roll around for some things out in the shop.  If it is outdoors or holding up something then Gorilla Tape is my tape of choice.  Stuff like the lawn mower seat with all it's cracks and holes.  It holds up for most of a lawn mowing season. 

T-Rex is one I have not heard of either OP.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 04:31:55 PM »
My favorite duct tape story.

My friend was desperate to paddle the Chatooga (You shore gotta pretty mouth) (I hear banjos).

I set him up with an old glass kayak and taught him to roll.  We bashed and crashed down to where the river hits the lake with a lot of duct tape holding his boat together.  We pretty much wrapped the whole boat in tape and set off to cross Lake Mollassas (Tugaloo).  He barely made it to the take out before the boat wouldn't float him.

Good times.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 07:05:08 PM »
There is a situation where I want Gorilla Tape.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 07:49:19 PM »
There is a situation where I want someone other than Tony to pick out a boat for me!
:taunt: :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX