Author Topic: New "Grey Man" Pack  (Read 1642 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
New "Grey Man" Pack
« on: August 14, 2019, 06:42:40 AM »
Over the last 10-15 years my packs have swung to "tactical".  I needed to correct that as my being in urban areas more.  So I sprung for a Mystery Ranch Urban Assault 21L.  Mystery Ranch is a little pricey for me but if you wait for a good sale you might get one of these for not much more than 100 bucks.

1911 for size comparison.

I like the shoulder straps.  There is no waist belt.  Not really a problem in a pack this size.  I also like the adjustment buckles and system.

It opens wide because of the zippers (which are water resistant).  There's sleeves for a tablet and laptop.  Mesh pocks inside and one in the lid.  There's a plate that keeps the pack solid.  The sleeves stop before the bottom of the pack for protection.

I've worn this pack for about a week and I am very happy with the fit and ruggedness.  I'd feel very comfortable in the woods or town with it. 

Of course I needed a new "urban" knife to go with the pack.  Review coming up.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 06:47:46 AM by madmax »
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: New "Grey Man" Pack
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 07:57:44 AM »
Nifty pack Tony.  My last small "day" pack was a Fjall Raven model that I obtained for a decent price from an internet seller of outdoor equipment.  While I like my pack the one you picture has a quality look to it and that vertical zipper is interesting and should make for easy access to the stuff in the bottom.   

Well worth what it cost I think.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 06:46:34 AM »
Looks nice.  The zip down front looks really handy for finding things without having to empty the pack. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 02:29:34 AM »
Good looking pack!  I've been contemplating the new Urban Assault 24.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 02:15:57 PM »
I get by with a Maxpedition Fat Boy Versapak  shoulder bag. 

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 02:22:07 PM »
I have a Black Hawk that is similar to the Maxpedition but smaller.  Even that messes with my back. I have to center the load.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 06:37:47 PM »
packs are good having time to use them priceless.
I have packs ranging from dana design to northface
tactical bags,military packs lg&sm, finding the time again priceless.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 08:29:02 AM »
 I have about a half dozen packs that qualify as day packs,  all but two are traditional styled packs, of the two that aren't, both are clones of Maxpedition offerings, 0ne is of a Falcon II assault pack, the other is of the Jumbo Versipack, I like how backpacks carry, but I have trouble putting them on and getting out of them because of arthritis in my shoulders, the Jumbo Versipack messenger bag is a lot easier for me to carry on most day hikes.
 One backpack that I have recently purchased is showing promise, it's a Hidden Woodsman Day Ruck, it carries pretty comfortably, it's a relatively small pack at a max of 20 Lt., but I like small packs because they force you to not over pack.
 The thing I like about the Hidden Woodsman Day ruck is that it's a traditional bucket styled Rucksack design yet incorporates newer Nylon and Cordura fabrics and while it doesn't look like a military pack it has a lot of molly attachment points to it, also it's 100% American made including all the materials, zippers and buckles,  and completely assembled in the USA by a small basically one man shop in the good old USA.
 Like all high quality gear the Hidden Woodsman day ruck is not cheap for a fairly small pack, at about $245.00 it is pricy compared to an off the shelf Ozark Trails backpack from Wally World,  but considering that they are built one at a time completely by hand and sewed by hand on a conventional sewing machine by one guy, you are getting what you pay for, and that overall quality and attention to detail.       
 The Jumbo Versipack is surprisingly versatile when it comes to being able to carry about everything one could need for a day in the bush or on a trail hike, and it can be carried on your side or towards the middle of your back, by moving it every once in a while it makes the bag carry more comfortably over time.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 12:01:53 PM »
Nice pack Tony!...puts me in mind of the Tamahumara by Hill People Gear...Mystery ranch is just over the hill from me and while a bit spendy, they do build quality bags :)
The only MR that iv'e owned personally was their Hot Top Line bag...a nicely built lumbar pack built for wild land firefighters....i have had my eye on that Tamahumara bag for some years now...i don't know...so much STUFF so little cash! :shrug:...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 12:05:09 AM »
The thing I like about the Hidden Woodsman Day ruck is that it's a traditional bucket styled Rucksack design yet incorporates newer Nylon and Cordura fabrics and while it doesn't look like a military pack it has a lot of molly attachment points to it, also it's 100% American made including all the materials, zippers and buckles,  and completely assembled in the USA by a small basically one man shop in the good old USA.
 Like all high quality gear the Hidden Woodsman day ruck is not cheap for a fairly small pack, at about $245.00 it is pricy compared to an off the shelf Ozark Trails backpack from Wally World,  but considering that they are built one at a time completely by hand and sewed by hand on a conventional sewing machine by one guy, you are getting what you pay for, and that overall quality and attention to detail.       

Apropos of nothing I watched one of Malcom's videos a few months back; he's inked a deal with a manufacturer to do the sewing now.  I guess he was the victim of his own success, just got to the point where the volume was beyond what he could do himself.  He's still designing the packs and says he'll be spending time in the factory (yes, it's in the USA!) to supervise everything.  His intention is to maintain the same stellar level of worksmanship just with a bit higher work output.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 08:15:51 PM »
I think the best thing about your post is the grey man concept. I dont care about your sack. (sorry bro) I sure hope it works well in the crazy, clown world known as: florida. 
     Psst. It (gm) dont work when you post pics and act ONLINE in your tru persona.  :-\ That's why you dont see me in raven/vulture feathers dancing on facebook :-X
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »
I think the best thing about your post is the grey man concept. I dont care about your sack. (sorry bro) I sure hope it works well in the crazy, clown world known as: florida. 
     Psst. It (gm) dont work when you post pics and act ONLINE in your tru persona.  :-\ That's why you dont see me in raven/vulture feathers dancing on facebook :-X

WTF
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 10:49:22 AM »
Unknown,
   In the first 5 months, after you joined in 2015, you had over 3000 posts. The posts were warm, friendly, sincere and personable. In the past couple years, that has not been the case. Something has changed in your life and it has changed how you interact with the members of B&B. Is there anything we can do to get the old Unknown back? He was a pretty nice guy. I cant speak for others, but I kind of miss the old Unknown. :coffee:

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
Sorry, looks like I Hi-jacked a topic again.  :doh:   Back to the "Mystery Ranch" pack, the way the topic should flow.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 12:23:58 PM »
Nah, needed to be said.

Anyway on the subject of Tony's pack I still think the overall design and material is really good.  The center zipper is a good idea and the only down side I can see is if you are way out and the zipper has a malfunction. 

I have never owned or used a Mystery Ranch pack but should I buy another they will get a first look.
(Mark Twain)