Author Topic: HAMMOCK HISTORY  (Read 1592 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: HAMMOCK HISTORY
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 07:55:21 PM »
For some reason, unknown to me, I have never thought much of getting in a hammock.  Probably this has origins when the only Hammocks in my suburban life were those metal framed affairs that people set up in their treeless backyards and kids like me routinely fell out of, usually when trying to get in (or is it on) one of them.

In the salad days of my camping activity most of my ventures were above the tree line fishing in high lakes where there are no places to put one up and sleep in it. 

If I had only fished lower down I could have achieved that lazy tag the europeans threw on the natives in San Salvador. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:08:16 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »
Most of the Kracs have gone to hammocks for the reasons the peoples of the Caribbean did .  They are decidedly not low tech.  A few of us have held out.  I haven't tried to sleep in one overnight due to Max and my back.  I like knowing Max won't sneak off and get eaten.  And it's been a few years trying to figure out a sleeping system that I can get up in the morning from.  I'm sticking to it.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 11:38:12 AM »
Interesting history.  We had one of the heavy canvas ones used on ships from the USN the whole time I was growing up.  Laid in it/played in it for years and years.  Never used one for camping/sleeping as an adult.  I don't think my back could handle it.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Icepick15

• Whetstone
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 01:09:33 PM »
Interesting history.  We had one of the heavy canvas ones used on ships from the USN the whole time I was growing up.  Laid in it/played in it for years and years.  Never used one for camping/sleeping as an adult.  I don't think my back could handle it.

My Dad was in the Navy in WWII.  He brought home a hammock like you describe.  Said it was one of the shipboard hammocks.  I never shot it, but if it wasn't bullet proof, it had to be close.  It stayed strung up in the shade between two pecan trees in the back yard when I was growing up.  Spent many a nap there when I was a kid/teenager.  It blew away in Hurricane Camille in 1969, along with the house and all the contents.
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 01:22:19 PM »
Not to hijack the thread but Camille impacted me when we went down years and a huge ship was laying on dry ground. 

And now we have one coming at us.  Another fall in Florida.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 01:33:28 PM »
Most of the Kracs have gone to hammocks for the reasons the peoples of the Caribbean did .  They are decidedly not low tech.  A few of us have held out.  I haven't tried to sleep in one overnight due to Max and my back.  I like knowing Max won't sneak off and get eaten.  And it's been a few years trying to figure out a sleeping system that I can get up in the morning from.  I'm sticking to it.

This is a good solution to the dog issue. I think the price is decent too for a huge skeeter net with a floor. Not backpack friendly maybe but the Kracs don't hike far anyway right?
https://squareup.com/store/cave-creek-hammock/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:51:58 PM by xj35s »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »

My Dad was in the Navy in WWII.  He brought home a hammock like you describe.  Said it was one of the shipboard hammocks.  I never shot it, but if it wasn't bullet proof, it had to be close.  It stayed strung up in the shade between two pecan trees in the back yard when I was growing up.  Spent many a nap there when I was a kid/teenager.  It blew away in Hurricane Camille in 1969, along with the house and all the contents.

Yeah, my old man was in the Navy in WWII, also, so that's where our hammock came from.  (He did 8 in the USN and 18 in the USAF.)
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 01:55:17 PM »
I recall seeing those canvas hammocks in WWII newsreel and movie footage.   After the Korean conflict, they were available as military surplus in the General Store in Sioux City, Iowa, our unofficial Boy Scout camping equipment supplier, but I never bought one. :coffee:

Heather bought one of those cheap, multi-colored, string hammocks when we were on our honeymoon in the Yucatan.....we never put it up and I have no idea where it is. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX