Author Topic: Generators  (Read 137 times)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Generators
« on: August 29, 2019, 05:04:11 PM »
wolfy asked about generators in the Hurricane Dorian thread.

Had a Generac, 22KW, propane fueled generator installed about 10 months ago.  Powers everything except one of my 3 heat pumps.  Everything is automatic----power goes out, generator comes on.  I don't lift a finger.  I did increase my propane storage by adding an extra 120 gallon tank to the existing tank I already had.  The reason I added one more tank instead of switching to a 250 gallon or larger tank is because (if I remember correctly) the larger tank would have to have been placed out in the yard some number of feet (don't recall how many) away from the house.  Would've been another thing to mow around!

Lost power a few weeks ago during a thunderstorm for an hour or so.  Generator worked like a champ!  It also automatically does a maintenance run every 2 weeks for about 5 minutes.  I looked at a lot of options before I dropped the $$ on this thing.  I'm getting older (and lazier, too) and didn't want to get wet or cold or both getting a portable generator out and string extension cords nor did I want to put a generator on the tractor's 3 PH.  Also didn't want to have to store gasoline or try to find gasoline should the outage be widespread and extended.  It was expensive, but it was the best option for me.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Generators
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 11:26:05 AM »
Nuke how long will that 22kw unit run on 120 gallons of propane?   

We use a gasoline powered generator, portable 6500 watts, out at our farm, but have never had a problem being without power for up to a week to ten days.  Longer than that I will run the freezer off the generator for a few hours and then it is good for at least a week.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 12:13:35 PM »
Uses about 2.5 gal/hr at half load.  That's why I added the extra 120 gal tank.  I effectively have a 240 gal tank.  The caveat is propane tanks are only filled to 80% so that reduces the amount of available propane even when "full."  I should get 5-7 days, maybe a day or 2 more, running 24 hrs/day.  Hopefully that'll be enough to see us through should things go to hell in a handbasket.  One of my major concerns was being on a well.  Don't want to run out of water.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 02:28:09 PM »
Thanks Nuke, that is better than I thought it might be. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)