Author Topic: Pine pitch vs pine tar ?  (Read 148 times)

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
Pine pitch vs pine tar ?
« on: September 26, 2019, 11:53:49 PM »
Gentlemen of the good life, I watched yesterday a video from the 'gray bearded green beret', where he mentioned the recipe for Nessmuks tick and musquito repellent, called 'punky dope'.
I would like to try it out as well, but I would have to make first the pine tar ingredient.
Thats no problem, but I do have a big pot of filtered pine resin aka pitch, and as well some birch tar laying around here.
I asked GBGB if I can use one of those as well instead of pine tar, but he doesn't have the experience with it so he cant say.
Does anyone of you know if the filtered pine resin /pitch contains the same properties as pine tar?
Or since birch tar is a natural repellent, can it be used as well in Nessmuks recipe?
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Pine pitch vs pine tar ?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:03:02 PM »
I don't really know, but I do have a little experience experimenting with the original recipe.  A friend that I only see once a year at a local rendezvous mixed up a batch  :stir: and allowed anyone that wanted to try it to slather on a coat to test its effectiveness.  The rendezvous was in September, so there weren't too many gnats and skeeters around anyway, but the event was held in a cow pasture, so there were plenty of flies to try to repel! :doh:

It seemed to help with the flies, BUT it does rub off & stain clothing, so be prepared for that.  Wearing an old black T-shirt might be the way to go if you want to experiment with the original recipe or its variances.  It doesn't wash out easily....or maybe, EVER.  ???
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 12:42:09 PM »
Ah, thats strange. GBGB mentioned that at home he just washed it right off without issue's.
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind when i will start using it.
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 07:48:15 PM »
pine resin to tar would follow the same process as birch sap to tar.  I will not say that one tar is equal to any tar but will gamble on the notion that any tar is closer to another tar than it will be to any resin/sap.

I imagine Sears' use of pine was related more to the characteristics/ nature of tar than to any special quality imbued by its being especially pine. There was a whole bunch of really resinous pines and an abundance of sappy maples here, to be sure.  For whatever reason no one took a liking to pancakes and pine syrup. The die was cast. The last pine tar I purchased in a can was marketed for wood skis. Surely you guys go about on wood skis in the winter still?

...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown