Author Topic: Probably the reason your [img]http://bladesandbushcraft.com/Smileys/krystl-white/censored.gif[/img]ty forum has zero traffic.  (Read 405 times)

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
I posted recently about diy tarps on the cheap.

As is usual here and elsewhere it didn't take long for the corporate shills to show up in numbers pushing specific product. In this case the Kelty Noah. Shills are bad enough, especially when pushing lies as they did in that post, but what's worse is when I called out their straight up lies I was labeled a troll and told to leave.

Here is a review of the tarp in question by one of the best tarp reviewers on youtube. Time index to the specific question of waterproofness, or in this case lack of.

In before "muh neweer version is 800 mm, not 400 mm". That makes no difference at all regarding waterfroof. You need at least 6,000 before you can even begin to consider it waterproof. In the context of a piece of serious outdoor kit where your life may depend on remaining dry you need 16,000 mm. "Heavy rain, wet snow, some pressure", and you should got 20,000 mm. "Heavy rain, wet snow, high pressure"

https://www.evo.com/waterproof-ratings-and-breathability-guide

You have users here giving out dangerous advice and then slandering other users who call out their lies.

This might have something to do with your very low traffic. Just a thought.
It is time to refuse to tiptoe around people who claim respect, consideration, special treatment, on the grounds that they have a religious faith, as if having faith were a privilege endowing virtue, as if it were noble to believe in unsupported claims and ancient superstitions. - A.C. Grayling

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
funny,  I used my 12 foot  Kelty tarp last year in Wyoming on a week long hunt camp.  It proved totally waterproof,  and handled rain, snow and sleet.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
I posted recently about diy tarps on the cheap.

As is usual here and elsewhere it didn't take long for the corporate shills to show up in numbers pushing specific product. In this case the Kelty Noah. Shills are bad enough, especially when pushing lies as they did in that post, but what's worse is when I called out their straight up lies I was labeled a troll and told to leave.

Here is a review of the tarp in question by one of the best tarp reviewers on youtube. Time index to the specific question of waterproofness, or in this case lack of.

In before "muh neweer version is 800 mm, not 400 mm". That makes no difference at all regarding waterfroof. You need at least 6,000 before you can even begin to consider it waterproof. In the context of a piece of serious outdoor kit where your life may depend on remaining dry you need 16,000 mm. "Heavy rain, wet snow, some pressure", and you should got 20,000 mm. "Heavy rain, wet snow, high pressure"

https://www.evo.com/waterproof-ratings-and-breathability-guide

You have users here giving out dangerous advice and then slandering other users who call out their lies.

This might have something to do with your very low traffic. Just a thought.

Thanks for the video link, I watched the whole video and found it to be both credible and informative, I also agree with what the presenter had to say about the Noah 9 tarp,  it's not a hard core outdoorsman's camping or survival tarp,  so in my opinion you were mostly right in your assessment of the tarp in that context.
  However, though I've never counted on a Kelty Noah 9 tarp for serious shelter, I seen many people using them and liking them as trail tarps and as temporary shelters for tarp camping,  something for you to think about, most folks don't intentionally go out to camp in the rain, most experiences I've encountered with rain while camping have been passing showers or an overnight thunder storm, and I've rarely gotten wet in any of the tarps I've used, that said most inexpensive (read cheap) tarps and tents will leak when exposed to torrential rains or heavy wet snow, that's just a fact of life, most stuff that sells cheap is made cheap, most makers of cheap stuff will tell you in their advertising that their product will perform miraculously under all conditions, and if you believe their advertising then accept what ever they actually deliver because your disappointment is on you not the maker or the seller, you should have done your homework before buying their product.
 As for those people who have posted that their Kelty Noah tarps worked great, I'm assuming that they actually worked great, I'm also going to assume that they didn't use them while camping in a great mother monsoon or a hurricane, that they held up just fine under an overnight mild rain.
 My suggestions are that if you're expecting to need a heavy duty survival rated shelter tarp that you bust out the money and buy one specifically rated for that purpose,  I'd also suggest that you change your delivery when you're having discussions with people that may disagree with your opinions,  it's probably not so much what you say as it has to do with how you say it,  so far your track record of be affable and friendly on this forum has sucked and that's why you were accused of trolling and it was suggested that you move on,  and you did it again in this thread by calling long time respected members of this forum Shills when they tell you of their experiences with the product line that you're bashing.
 While there very well be numerous reasons why we here are experiencing low post counts, but they certainly are not because our members are unfriendly or rude in the manner that you have been to them.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
The ty admin has removed this ty member.

This is the reason we'll have zero traffic from him going forward.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
THANKS PW!!!!!!!!!

At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
(in my best Norwegian accent followed by the official Norwegian salute)   Uff Da!   :doh:

Couldn't help it, just got back from Norsk Hostfest and a good helping of lutefisk and lefse.
Brought home some Jarlsberg cheese and pickled herring. Can't go wrong there!

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
I can eat those thanks to a great uncle in MN.  He loved them.  I wanted to get in good with him because he drove a train (Hey,  I was a kid.).

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
This corporate shill thanks you PW.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Thanks, PW.

Dissing my Noah Tarp ... them's fightin' words! Well, not really but it has kept me dry in a number of Smoky Mountain downpours.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
I though it was over in the other thread. At any rate, I hope we aren't going down the ban hammer road as another site has. I'm not here as much anymore so might have missed a lot. No worries. I trust the admins here.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
XJ this guy is argumentative on almost every thread he posted.  The pattern is the same, posts a comment that is going to get a response from folks who like what he doesn't and then screams about it.  Resorts to name calling and goes through typical POS reasoning with denigrating remarks about others opinions.  We are way better off without his type.  Nothing constructive about his contribution to this site.  Just my opinion of course.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:37:34 AM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
I agree 100% with Stan.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Par for the course these days I think. My wife follows Nascar, Kyle Bush in particular. lots of hate and bad mouthing no matter the situation or driver. People like to argue these days and they're never wrong....
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
He was nothing more than a troll.  He contributed absolutely nothing and continually tried to bait others into arguments.  He'll probably re-register under a new name and declare his support for..............hi mself.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
 :deadhorse:               . :deadhorse:              . :deadhorse:   dang, that is one tough horse. :lol:

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
hey pete are you a scandihouvian, eh like lars an gunnar,
decorah,ia largest norveeegin fest in us late summer I believe.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
No, But I grew up in a Norwegian community. I can pull a great Norwegian accent and I eat the foods and enjoy the jokes. Norwegians seem to be the only people that enjoy a good ethnic joke told on them selves and tell you one back to top it off. Going to a Scandinavian festival has great food, music and skill demonstrations. Wool spinning, Hardanger violins, coopers and ropemaking are just a few. I married a blond blue eyed Norwegian gal, dead ringer for Liv Lindeland but with a better figure.  Wife has cousins in Norway. At a family reunion a few years back, one of the cousins and our daughter could pass for twins.
I eat Lutefisk, pickled herring and Torsk. I should at least get an honorary pin.
The old names in the community are not so popular any more but when I was a kid, there were a lot of Ole, Lars, Sven, Otto, Hilda, Iva and Tinas around. I only met one Gunner though and he left to do the bush pilot thing in Alaska.