Author Topic: winter posting  (Read 409 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
winter posting
« on: October 01, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »
now that winter will be shortly upon us, folks may start posting more often
that would be a joy to see some familiar faces on the forum.
so any hoo let's get ready for winter, and for those fla members,
time to get out your wool lined slippers, heh heh,
so throw some wood into the stove and let's start chating

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
Re: winter posting
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 07:28:07 PM »
Well, I drop in every day no matter if anyone else does or not! ;)  But winter is falling across Montana. We got a sprinkling of snow in Bozeman; an epic storm was predicted but we didn't get much luckily.  Sadly the high country of MT and ID will be pretty much closed off soon so I'll have to find some accessible spots to get out and camp.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 07:47:05 PM »
Our outdoor season is coming up soon. Be on the lookout for some Florida trip reports.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 04:14:24 AM »
yeah ours is too the winter season,

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
We've had daily highs in the 90's for the last few weeks  - predicted high today is 97F - unseasonably hot. Fall around here will probably last a week and a half, then we'll move on to winter.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 07:50:57 PM »
We were 36 this morning, got up to about 45 during the day.  Rained lightly all day.  Went up to Lead SD for lunch at Lewies (the best hamburger and bar anywhere in these parts) and it was snowing lightly the whole time we were there.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 08:41:30 PM »
Calling for a high of 99F here tomorrow.  Frickin' ridiculous for this time of year.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 09:32:59 PM »
We had temps in the lower 90s, like nuke is getting now, just two days ago....now it's in the lower 40s and we've gotten just under 5'' of rain over last night & today.  Looks like we get to experience the best of both worlds. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 10:47:34 AM »
Well, Stan, you are nearly at the edge of the earth.  :lol:

Thanks for the warning, Nuke. I'm heading to Charleston next week.

Wolfy, I figure we'll see 40-50 degree temperature swings here any time now. Last two days here were the hottest October 1st and 2nd on record ... ever.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 09:27:43 PM »
Well, Stan, you are nearly at the edge of the earth.  :lol:

As I told somebody once........ "We ain't at the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here".
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 07:52:52 AM »

I'm like an old bear,  I tend to hibernate during the snow months and usually don't start to stir around much until April or so unless it's to pick up supplies, I never could get the reasoning for going out in the cold all wrapped up like an Eskimo humping a heavy pack or pulling a sled loaded down with camp stuff just to experience freezing cold days and bitter cold nights trying to get comfortable in a sleeping bag.
 Ok, I know, the fire feels good, the setting is beautiful, and todays technology has made sleeping bags and pads  pretty darned warm, but you still have to get out of it a couple of times a night to squirt, unless you keep a squirt bottle handy, which brings up another problem better off left unmentioned.
 I like to watch bushcraft videos every once in a while especially during those bouts of winter hibernation, I have a few U-tubers that I like to keep track of like Joe Robinet, Mike Barton, Really Big Monkey, Far North bushcraft, and a few others,  most of them winter cold camp, often having to dig out a camp site out of a couple of feet of snow,  I don't mind watching from my comfortable recliner sipping a hot cup of coffee next to the wood stove, but can't help saying to myself, "What are they thinking" ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 07:05:06 PM »
I like winter camping!  I grew up in South Dakota where the state bird was the mosquito.  No bugs in the winter so speak of so that's one good thing.  I have a half dozen Wiggy's bags so cold is never an issue.  While I don't love the cold I'm miserable in the heat.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 07:16:37 AM »

Spring and fall are my favorite times of the year for outdoor recreating other than fishing and hunting,  summer bass fishing and winter hunts are great when the weather cooperates.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline duxdawg

• Whetstone +
  • paleo/primitive/aboriginal, Fur Trade, Wilderness
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 07:37:35 AM »
Been in the 50s & 60s here of late. Perfect!
Had a long, cold, wet Spring. Thus far Autumn seems to be in that same mood.
Cheers y'all!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 09:24:57 AM »
Wife and I got up to Stillwater Resevoir on Saturday. It was a perfect time to see the foilage before the trees are bare. It was a pleasant drive on a dirt road. We didn't get to see any wildlife this time, too much traffic. It's 1 hour and 45 minute drive from home, they way I drive!

This panoramic is of the pond at the end of neccessary dam road. It leads to Lyon Lake which has two wilderness forests on either side. In our adirondack park you can camp for free up to 3 nights anywhere you can hike to. I plan to hike in and hammock camp a night or two.
Google maps are not to be trusted. You can see in both images that it shows dry land at the end of neccesssay dam road. The Panoramic & video shows the reality.

On Sunday the 13th we are going to a wolf sanctuary we never knew about. They are going to do a feeding of pumkins and squash, I guess it's an exciting event to see. They will have Native crafters and singalongs in Teepees. It's only an hour away.

Then on the 14th we are riding a 3 hour train through the adirondacks. It's only $15 per person. I'll post here these two events. We haven't done anything all summer. This is my time of the year!!!!

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
That is a neat looking place XJ  I am looking forward to the wolves.  Never saw on eating squash.  We had a place over by Spearfish that had some but they had to close it down for some problems.
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 06:31:59 PM »
Looks like a great place to explore.