Author Topic: REI  (Read 160 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
REI
« on: October 24, 2019, 05:56:47 AM »
Through the years,  I have picked up a lot of gear from REI.  Started buying online, and a few years ago,  they built a store up in Jax,  an hour and a half drive from me.  Yesterday,  it was on the local news that here in Gainesville,  they are building a new store.  We have a Bass Pro, and now an REI.  I am set for local sourcing much of my camping and outdoor needs.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: REI
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 08:50:37 AM »
I started buying stuff from them in the 1960's and when they built a store in Denver went there often.  I quit doing business with them when they stopped buying products made by a company that also makes assault rifles.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/02/rei-drops-key-supplier-of-outdoor-gear-because-it-also-makes-guns/
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »
Congratulations on getting a local store.  I like REI and find it convenient to have a store nearby.

But I don't shop there as much as I used to do.  REI started with a warehouse vibe.  It sold high quality equipment at reasonable prices.  It was also the only place to find some types of outdoor gear.

Today, stores near me cater to an "upscale" crowd, focused on having lots of expensive gear.  That's fine.  But the selection narrowed and prices increased.  Much of the gear comes in bright colors.  I understand that most consumers want this.  But it is a non-starter for me because I spend a lot of time observing wildlife.

I continue to shop at REI when I need gear quickly.  I also go there to be able to hold gear in my hands when I need to choose between brands or options.  But I usually purchase when things I need are on sale.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 03:51:02 PM »
I'm a long time member (member #418699), but haven't bought anything from them in years.....mostly because of their escalating prices and attitude toward firearms.  It's a far different place than it was back when their only store was on Pike Street in Seattle....that place LOOKED like a warehouse and their prices were lower than almost everyone else's.  When they became unfriendly to firearms, I became unfriendly to them. >:(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 06:13:11 PM »
My first experience with REI was the downtown Seattle store round about 1980.  Our ship was changing homeports from Hawaii to Washington (Bangor).  Our division had a big camping trip planned.  We made lists of gear we needed for our trip and were really looking forward to our two weeks at Spirit Lake.  Ten days before we arrived in Washington Mt. St. Helens erupted and Spirit Lake was no more (timing is everything).  When we got there I dropped a lot of $$$ at REI and we had a wonderful trip..............a way from the ash and debris.