Author Topic: Another outdoor icon has been lost  (Read 187 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Another outdoor icon has been lost
« on: November 05, 2019, 10:58:14 AM »
 I'm a bit late with this post, but I just found out that a great American outdoor writer and novelist has passed on,  Patrick McManus grew up in rural Idaho during the late 30's and 40's, his Father died when Pat was still very young, he was raised on a farm with his Mother, Grandmother, and younger Sister, the family was poor but got by on a simple existence, Pat spent most of his time in the woods camping, fishing, and hunting with his few close friends,  he worked his way through college and earned his masters in English literature, later becoming a professor of literature at the University of Washington state.
Pat loved the outdoors and wrote about his adventures as a kid and later a young man growing up with a love for nature and adventure,  his articles were published in Outdoor Life, Field & Stream,  Sports Illustrated, and Readers Digest, he later wrote a series of books about his growing up years, his friends and the adventures they shared, the first published was titled A Fine and Pleasant Misery,  Pat's comedic way of writing won him a huge fan base among outdoorsmen of the time.
Pat also wrote a string of mystery novels later in life that was quite successful, his books sold well over two million copies during his prime, I happened on one of his books in the early '80's and was hooked on his writings,  I have acquired most of his outdoor series and have a few that are signed first editions,  Pat was born in 1933 and lived to be 85 when he passed in 2018, he will surely be missed by those of us old enough to remember him and his works.
Anyone wanting to relive their memories of being a kid in the woods building forts and otherwise having adventures and getting into trouble with their friends will love Pats stories of himself and his friends and mentors like Eddie Muldoon, Stretch Cunningham, the Old Man, the old mountain man Rancid Crabtree, his sister The Troll, his trusty dog Strange, and his experiences shopping for gear at Grogan's army/navy store will not be disappointed by obtaining at least one of his books (I'd suggest his first A Fine and Pleasant Misery for a start), but be forewarned, they are addictive.   

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Another outdoor icon has been lost
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 02:40:06 PM »
I had not heard of his passing.

I had a few of his books, those comedic ones written in the later years of his career.  While I enjoyed his writing as it was entertaining I never became a devoted reader of his material.  Probably because my interest lay more with writers like Gene Hill who wrote of bird hunting and dogs that at the time were my main focus in the outdoors. 

McManus was funny and a lot of his stuff was very good.  I probably should have read some of the early things he wrote but just never got around to it.  Sorry to hear he is gone.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 02:44:22 PM »
I'll have to dig around for more of his writings.  I recognize his name.

RIP
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 03:26:38 PM »
Aw, not another one!  I grew up reading his stuff in Field and Stream and Outdoor Life.  He was a genuinely good writer and utterly hilarious!  RIP, Mr. McManus!

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 03:56:24 PM »
Thanks for the post Moe. I just ordered a used copy of "A Fine and Pleasant Misery" from Amazon for $5.20 with free shipping. Looking forward to a good read.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 04:05:27 PM »
I didn't know he'd passed, either.  I had a buddy who had read and reread everything McManus had written and he clamored for more.  I think I read three of his books, but that was probably over 30 years ago.  As I recall, he was pretty funny, but I don't tend to read novels or humorous stuff much, anymore. :coffee:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 06:27:08 PM »
I didn't know he'd passed, either.  I had a buddy who had read and reread everything McManus had written and he clamored for more.  I think I read three of his books, but that was probably over 30 years ago.  As I recall, he was pretty funny, but I don't tend to read novels or humorous stuff much, anymore. :coffee:

I'm a lot like you in that my attention span won't allow me to get into long novels, and especially true when they tend to be more cerebral than action oriented,  McManus's early works are a collection of his short stories which are easy to get through at one sitting,  that's one of the reasons I like Louie Lamoure's collections of short stories in book form.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Mill File
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 06:37:49 PM »
My favorite was when he and his buddy made the cannon out of the sewer pipe and it exploded.  Then the deputy came out and found them dazed and said, "well, I don't guess there'll be any more explosions out here today?"
Then he kicked Pat's coonskin cap that was laying on the ground and said, "Sorry about your dog.."

I'm laughing right now just remembering it.

Great guy, great outdoorsman, wonderful story teller.

Alan