Author Topic: Scouting for deer from the kitchen table.  (Read 968 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Scouting for deer from the kitchen table.
« on: November 11, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »
Well not totally.  I did get up and go to the window a few times.  Rifle starts this coming Saturday but my license here is only good for Whitetails.  So all the mule deer feed out back today as the storm lets up and it got up to 24 F.

Here are a few pictures of who showed up today

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Scouting for deer from the kitchen table.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:14:11 PM »
and here are a few more:

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 05:18:42 PM »
and a few more.

(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 05:55:31 PM »
What do you figure he weighs, field dressed?  He looks like a pretty stocky buck to me, but mulies are right at the eastern side of their range for northeastern Nebraska, so who am I to judge? :shrug: :P
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 06:46:30 PM »
I guess we all know what will be for dinner soon.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 06:52:14 PM »
There are six bucks in this herd.  Four of them are big bodied.  The biggest, whose photo is the last one, probably weighs about 160 dressed.  I shot one about four years ago that I could not haul into the ATV trailer so I hauled him back into the barn with the four wheeler.  He weighed 155 after hanging three days.   
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 06:55:41 PM »
Crash I am hoping it will be for dinner but it has to be a Whitetail.  Every last deer today was a Mule deer. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »
Those are some good pics!  and good looking mulie's!  I hope your whitetail hunt goes good!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline marchone

• Mill File+
  • Always looking for good tools.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 04:18:24 AM »
I'm jealous. A guy I know in the UP shoots whitetails every year from his second floor bathroom window. He says if he steps back 7 or 8 feet and shoots through a 4-inch crack in his window the shot can't be heard outside the house.
Wayne

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 09:14:58 AM »
I'm jealous. A guy I know in the UP shoots whitetails every year from his second floor bathroom window. He says if he steps back 7 or 8 feet and shoots through a 4-inch crack in his window the shot can't be heard outside the house.

LOL, well maybe he can't hear it but I'll bet any close neighbors can,  even with hearing protection a rifle shot in a contained space the size of an average bathroom is going to deafening, I now a lot of old timers who've shot for years without ear protection who swear they don't need them,  of course they do say WHAT a lot ??? 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 09:22:18 AM »
There are six bucks in this herd.  Four of them are big bodied.  The biggest, whose photo is the last one, probably weighs about 160 dressed.  I shot one about four years ago that I could not haul into the ATV trailer so I hauled him back into the barn with the four wheeler.  He weighed 155 after hanging three days.

My oldest boy has a 12 acre spread buried in the woods in Northern RI., he shoots his limit of deer and turkey every season on his land, many times off his front porch,  a week ago he got a 10 point buck with his TC inline that was raiding the left over produce in his garden,  when he tried to scare it off the deer made a few aggressive gestures towards my son,  it now resides in his freezer in the form of steaks, chops, burger, and sausage. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 06:53:55 PM »
Ha!  That'll teach him.  One deer's vegetables turns into another man's protein. 
(Mark Twain)