Author Topic: got milk?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
got milk?
« on: November 13, 2019, 02:56:13 PM »
today the nations largest dairy company texas based Dean foods filed for chapter 11
bankruptcy. reason stated not selling enough milk, hmmm
as for me I fell the coming bacon shortages will be more an issue.
I mean heck bacon is a food group, heh heh

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: got milk?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 03:13:41 PM »
I read that, too, Mikey.....kids today drink soda pop, Gatorade, energy drinks, etc. by the case, but NO MILK.  I'm glad I'm as old as I am. :shrug: :coffee:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 03:33:51 PM »

I wonder if milk substitutes have a big impact on milk producers and processers,  we have a large milk processing plant locally, they've been in business since the turn of the 20th century, always family owned,  they started out a dairy farm selling raw milk and delivering door to door,  over the years they've managed to grow into one of the biggest processers and distributors in the NE area, the farm was pretty big and today every inch is taken up by the processing plant, trucking terminals, and employee parking.
 At the super market that I shop at the dairy section takes up about three quarters of the back wall (close to 75 ft.) and includes butter, eggs, sour cream and cottage cheese, that sort of stuff, half of that is just milk and milk products like half & half and whipping cream,  but there's just as much non dairy products offered as the real stuff,  which leads me to think that a goodly part of the population has sworn off real dairy and are buying the fake stuff.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 03:56:22 PM »
Two reasons... An ever changing demographic, and an over pasturized product... has led to the downfall
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 06:12:21 PM »
I drink half a gallon weekly, store brand.  Trader Joe?s imported French cultured butter is my choice.  A lot of cheese.  Not much from Dean foods though.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 06:50:34 PM »
I don't reliably drink a glass of milk per year, and haven't since my teens.  I am on a keto diet and milk is empty calories with a lot of sugar.  In the west we drink milk but most humans on Earth, much like most other mammals, lose the enzymes that break down lactose shortly after being weaned.  So it's kind of weird to drink milk as an adult to begin with, and I think as consumers become more educated we'll drink it even less than we already do.

Cheese on the other hand, I never go more than a day or two without eating cheese!  Save the milk for that! ;D

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 09:22:18 AM »
I did eat a lot of cheese, cottage cheese, and hot cereal with milk on it.  It ain't the milk I drank to make strong bones when I was kid.  Tastes a bit like water with chalk in it.  We are talking that 2% crap they sell.  I stopped the hot cereal and milk about three weeks back and am eating meat, eggs, vegetables, and some fruit and nuts.  Right now I would do about anything for a waffle and a pile of english muffins.   :pissed:

Zammer?  Darn, where you been?  I was thinking about you the other day and wondered what happened to you.  Nice to see you're back.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 06:23:40 PM »
If I do drink milk I prefer whole milk.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 12:06:32 PM »
In the State I live there was a big fuss about people selling raw milk to consumers a couple of years back.  The people who like raw milk got the law changed so that farms with the proper permit can sell to people at the farm or deliver it to the customer.  No retail sales allowed.

I have never had raw milk and only remember a little about what my dad said about it being okay as that is all he ever had to drink when he was growing up on the farm.  Got any thoughts on raw milk Phaedrus?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 01:14:38 AM »
Raw milk. The trouble with raw milk is people. Let me try to explain. Way back when people kept a few cows, and milked one or two for their own use, they were very careful with it. By that, I mean they carefully washed the udder and teats with warm water and if they had it,a disinfectant.
The milk went into a pail that had been carefully washed and in most cases was used for nothing else. Nothing. After milking, the milk was immediately taken and passed through a strainer with a filter. (looks like a coffee filter) and then placed in a stainless steel or glass jar and cooled. Either in a refrigerator, ice box, spring house or in the water well. This was important to suppress any bacteria growth.
   The cow was properly pampered. Clean straw, clean pasture, clean stall, keep the manure off of the udder. Raw milk is a lot of work to do it right. If you are going to be a sloppy herdsman, your going to have trouble. Keep Pepto-Bismol at the ready.
   When you start trying to sell raw milk as a business, this is where problems arise. The stalls are not as clean, the pasture has to many cows in it and at certain times of the year, like in the spring, the doorway to the barn becomes a mud pit and the cows start dragging their udders through the mud.
    To many cows to milk, so they may not get washed before milking as good as they should be.  The milk is not taken to be strained immediately. It sits for a bit until the rest of the cows are milked and then it is all taken in to be strained. That extra time allows bacteria to grow. Cow steps in the pail? Aw, it'll be ok, the strainer will get it. It's all bad news unless you like diarrhea.
     Milking your own cow is an economical, rewarding endeavour as long as you follow the old time proven traditions. They were developed over centuries and were steeped in tradition because they worked. Many homesteads and the children raised on them used nothing but raw milk. Pasturization is a 20th century invention and it was and is very much needed. For the health of the public.
     The United States is unique in the world for milk consumption from bovines. Most of the world get their milk from caprine. But the sanitation regimen stays the same.

Homogenization was an invention that prevented the separation of cream from the milk. Back at the turn of the previous century, milk was delivered to the doorstep of many urban and small town doorsteps early in the morning. The milk bottles were brought in and the cream was skimmed off the top for the head of the household to use for his cereal or morning coffee. Leaving very little for the wife and children. As the story goes, children were developing rickets from the lack of certain vitamins contained in the cream. Homogenization and the addition of vitamin D cured that.

A few years ago I was poking around the kitchen gadgets corner of a thrift store and found a most unusual spoon. For 25 cents I took it home. It looked like a miniature gravy spoon with a long handle and a U shaped bend at the top that tapered to a sharp point. It was a promotional item given away by a creamery in Pennsylvania to their customers. The pointed end pierced and removed the paper seal on top of a milk bottle, the little bowl at the bottom of the handle was used to ladle the cream out of the bottle. For 25 cents I got a nice little piece of American history.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 09:03:24 AM »
Thanks.  I sort of knew that most of the world except for the US, England, and some Europe used caprines but hadn't really thought about.

Didn't know that they made little spoons to open the bottles.  We had home milk delivery until about 1960 when my mother went to work.  I guess they didn't trust me or my little brother to remember to bring in the milk if it wasn't there by the time they left for work.  Like most urban kids I didn't give a thought to cows or some member of the caprine , just drank the milk.  In one place we lived the next door neighbor was still farming a small piece of ground with horses and the old equipment.  He would lease any vacant ground he could and then plant wheat or alfalfa.  He piled it on a hay wagon and hauled it home.  I remember that he cut everything with an old scythe.  He was a wonderful man to a little kid and I wish that during the time we lived there I would have spent a little more time with him.  His wife was kind of scary as she had a growth under one eye and would always run us off when we went in the farm yard.  Later we found out that it was because she was afraid we would get hurt.  This was in the early to mid fifties and the old farmer was in his eighties.  He would have been a font of knowledge about the older ways.  They had two milk cows as I recall.  She made butter in some kind of a churn. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »

Zammer?  Darn, where you been?  I was thinking about you the other day and wondered what happened to you.  Nice to see you're back.

Thanks Stan, Unfortunately Life has not been good the past year and a half. One day I'll send a pm
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 05:42:22 PM »
Sorry you've been in a rough patch, Zammer.  Good to see you back, though.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 07:26:10 PM »

Thanks Stan, Unfortunately Life has not been good the past year and a half. One day I'll send a pm

Sorry to hear that but glad to see your post on here.  Hope it all works out for you.
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »
glad also to see ya back ,